1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Rockets Fixer Upper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LiLStevie3, Aug 21, 2002.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Don't know if this has been posted yet, so I'll go ahead and post it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/s/2002/0821/1421135.html

Rockets' biggest question: Yao or later?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Chad Ford
    ESPN.com

Editor's note: ESPN Insider's Chad Ford breaks down what last season's NBA lottery teams need to do to get to the playoffs. ESPN.com's "Fixer-Upper" series continues with the Houston Rockets.

General manager Carrol Dawson's work was really done for him on May 19, when the pingpong balls of fate landed the Rockets the most coveted big man since Tim Duncan.

Even Yao Ming admits it'll take time before he gets used to the NBA.
    Yao Ming is coming, and everything else in Houston takes a back seat.

After a year where everything that could've went wrong did, the Rockets seem to have Lady Luck in their corner. They are young, talented and surprisingly deep for a lottery team. Were it not for a slew of injuries afflicting everyone from Maurice Taylor to Steve Francis, the Rockets would have challenged for a playoff spot last season.

But fate has a funny way of turning good into bad and, in the Rockets' case, bad into good.

Like the Spurs in 1997 and the Magic in 1993, the Rockets not only stole the No. 1 pick away from more deserving teams, they reaped a rare windfall by nabbing one of the few franchise-type players to come along in recent years. Add another mid-first-round pick in sharp-shooting Euro Bostjan Nachbar, and the Rockets appear to have all the pieces in place.

Just when things couldn't get any better, the Sonics and hometown boy Rashard Lewis start fighting, and now the Rockets are in the hunt to make another huge free-agent acquisition. But fate won't stay on their side forever. Rockets team sources indicate that their only real chance of landing Lewis is through a sign-and-trade deal. The Sonics want second-year phenom Eddie Griffin as part of any deal. Even with Griffin in the deal, the Sonics are balking on the inclusion of players, such as Taylor, who are in the last year of their contracts. If Lewis can't get a sign-and-trade, he'd opt for the Mavericks' mid-level exception over Houston's. In other words, don't count on Lewis playing for the hometown fans next season.

Will the Rockets catapult themselves into the playoffs in the wild, wild West? ESPN.com poured over depth charts, trade rumors and salary-cap information and even sought the advice of a few NBA general managers to give you the four things the Rockets must do to get into the playoffs this season.

Step 1: Move Mo Taylor if possible.
    The Rockets seem to have played all of their cards right the last few years. From the deal to acquire Francis from the Grizzlies to letting players such as Shandon Anderson and Hakeem Olajuwon ruin someone else's salary-cap situation, management has made mostly right moves. But signing Taylor to a whopping six-year, $48 million contract hurt them. Just weeks later, Taylor went down with an Achilles injury. By the end of the season, he reportedly had been on the Shawn Kemp Twinkie and Kool-Aid diet and was weighing in at a whopping 300 pounds. Taylor is playing basketball again and has already dropped 20 pounds, but his days are numbered. Both rookie Eddie Griffin and third-year pro Kenny Thomas more than held their own in the post last season. Thomas actually put up better numbers than Taylor did the season before he got hurt. Griffin, in another four years, might turn out to be the best player in the class of 2001. Better to dump Taylor now before he sees his playing time disappear. The dilemma, of course, is where to move him. Few teams are excited about adding an undersized, under-rebounding power forward with a weight problem coming off an Achilles injury (if only Taylor had Kemp's agent). Still, there are deals out there. The most likely one is a straight-up swap of Taylor for Indiana's Austin Croshere. Croshere is in Isiah Thomas' doghouse, and Rudy Tomjanovic has always liked his inside-outside game. Taylor is more of a low-post player and would be a better fit in Indiana's system. Jermaine O'Neal's ability to play center should free up plenty of minutes for Taylor. Croshere and Taylor basically have the same contract, so the trade has more to do with change of scenery than anything else. Right now, both teams are looking.

Step 2: Bring in Bryon Russell.
    The team's backcourt depth is shaky. Francis and Cuttino Mobley missed stretches of last season, and the team had only Moochie Norris and rookies Oscar Torres and Terence Morris to back them up. If they are going to make a run at the playoffs, the team needs a veteran who has been there. Bryon Russell is coming off a terrible season, which basically tanked his value. Russell, at this point, is willing to play cheap. The Rockets may be his best chance for redemption. Just two years ago, Russell put up 14 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.9 steals per game. He has Finals experience, is a strong defender and would be a nice quality backup for Mobley.

Step 3: Go slow with Yao Ming.
    The pressure on Yao is enormous. By his own estimation, it will take him a few years to get used to the speed and physical nature of the NBA. I usually advocate throwing young players into the deep end of the pool. But with Yao it's different. There are too many critics poised to declare him a bust. A rough start could shatter Yao's confidence, sending him into a Shawn Bradley career death spiral. I never thought I'd say this, but the Rockets finally have a reason to hang onto Kelvin Cato. They should split the minutes at center between the two. Next to Cato, Yao will look like a super star -- even if it's all a big illusion.

Those moves would give the Rockets this opening-day roster:

Point guard: Steve Francis, Moochie Norris.

Shooting guard: Cuttino Mobley, Bryon Russell, Oscar Torres.

Small forward: Glen Rice, Bostjan Nachbar, Terence Morris.

Power forward: Kenny Thomas, Eddie Griffin, Austin Croshere.

Center: Yao Ming, Kelvin Cato, Jason Collier

Step 4: Playoffs or development?
    Like many teams, the Rockets have a tough choice to make. Is this the year they give big playing time to their future stars? Or do they use their veterans to propel the team into the playoffs? It's a difficult choice. The Rockets should have the firepower to grab a seventh or eighth seed in the West with Francis, Mobley, Rice, Thomas and Cato taking the majority of the minutes. However, in the end, Griffin, Nachbar and Yao are the future of this team. Would it be better to use Rice, Thomas and Cato in supporting roles and give Nachbar, Griffin and Yao big minutes now? It won't translate into wins this season, but down the road, when Rice and Thomas are off the books, it could be the difference between a string of first-round exits and the chance at something truly special.

Chad Ford writes the daily NBA Insider column for ESPN Insider.

2. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

ESPN also has the Rockets as the team to watch in the Midwest division.

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/misc/1421100.html

Healthy Francis should give Rockets a boost

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Marc J. Spears
    Special to ESPN.com

Editor's note: This week, ESPN.com spotlights the "team to watch" in each division, continuing with the Houston Rockets in the Midwest.

Choosing who will win the Midwest Division this season is an easy Texas two-step decision between the Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs. But another team capable of big things in Texas is the Houston Rockets due to their potentially awesome offensive arsenal.

So what is the major reason why the Rockets are the team to watch in the Midwest? Look no further than their backcourt.

Steve Francis needs to involve his teammates on offense, too.
    When you mention the NBA's best scoring duos, i.e. O'Neal-Bryant, Robinson-Abdur-Rahim, Pierce-Walker, Nowitzki-Finley, Davis-Mashburn, Webber-Stojakovic, Miller-O'Neal, Iverson-Van Horn, one would be sorely mistaken by not including the Rockets' dynamic backcourt duo of Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley.

There's a reason Francis is called the "Franchise." The Rockets will only go as far as the all-star will take them. While injuries plagued them in a disappointing 28-54 campaign last season, the thing that hurt them the most was Francis' absence.

Francis played a career-low 57 games, many in pain, due to an inner-ear disorder that caused migraine-like symptoms. He was also plagued by a right shoulder injury that demanded offseason surgery. The high-jumping, 6-foot-3 Francis, however, is recovered from the shoulder injury and has learned how to handle his headache-causing condition called Meniere's Disease.

A healthy Francis will mean lots of broken ankles for opponents. He's an unstoppable scorer who averaged a career-high 21.1 points and 8.65 free-throw attempts per game last season. While Francis is a proven scorer, his biggest challenge will be making his teammates better, which is a must for Houston to become an upper-echelon team.

One player who can help Francis look good is Mobley, who showed last season that he is a quiet offensive assassin in averaging a career-high 21.7 points. The flamboyant 6-4, 210-pounder is also quite durable, having missed just 10 games the past three seasons and ranking second in the NBA in minutes per game (42.1) last season. "Cat" showed he is more than just a one-on-one player, too, proving he can hit the spot-up jumper.

Think about this? Combined, Francis and Mobley are capable of scoring 50 points per game. Not many other duos in the NBA have that power.

So what about Francis and Mobley's teammates? Well, the supporting crew has the potential to either hit it big or crap out. But if the Rockets can get healthy and the young players can give some strong production, the Mavericks and Spurs will be looking over their shoulders.

As strong as the Mavericks are offensively, the Rockets have the potential to run with them.

If he gets his weight down and his Achilles is recovered, power forward Maurice Taylor has shown in the past that he can be a tough scorer in the post. Swingman Glen Rice, without any knee setbacks, could be the strong third scorer that Houston has been seeking. Forward Eddie Griffin showed flashes of stardom during his rookie season, and forward Kenny Thomas (14 points per game last season) is an under-rated offensive player.

No. 1 draft pick Yao Ming might have Pee Wee Herman's strength, but he stands 7-5½ and possesses a deft shooting touch (as evidenced by his perfect performance for China in an exhibition against Canada last week). Forward Bostjan Nachbar could be one of the NBA's surprise rookies. He can sink the mid-range jumper, run the floor and play above the rim.

While loaded with offensive scorers, the Rockets have questions on defense. Houston allowed an NBA-worst field goal mark of 46 percent last season. But there is some hope defensively in the decrepit Compaq Center in the shot-blocking skills of Griffin and Yao.

The road for the Midwest Division title definitely goes through Texas. Whether the Rockets will have a say depends on whether they can overcome all those ifs and live up to their scoring potential.

Marc J. Spears covers the Denver Nuggets and the NBA for The Denver Post

#2 LiLStevie3, Aug 21, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2002
  3. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I don't necessarily agree entirely with the MoT assessment, but it is a pretty fair article overall.

4. aznlincolnpark

thanks for the article :)

5. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

So the Sonics wanted Griffin in a possible S&T for Lewis. Thanks, but no, thanks. It seems like they are going to lose 'Shard for nothing now. Today they signed Sesay to a 2-year deal. maybe they got filled by Lewis that he's not coming back...

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow...apparently this guy has as high of an opinion of Boki as some on this BBS do.

The Rockets should have the firepower to grab a seventh or eighth seed in the West with Francis, Mobley, Rice, Thomas and Cato taking the majority of the minutes. However, in the end, Griffin, Nachbar and Yao are the future of this team.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Decent article but talk about poorly edited!!! Ford wrote:

<i>the Sonics are balking on the inclusion of players, such as Taylor, who are in the last year of their contracts.</i>

then he wrote...

<i>But signing Taylor to a whopping six-year, $48 million contract hurt them.</i>

HUH??? So, which is it?

<i>By the end of the season, he reportedly had been on the Shawn Kemp Twinkie and Kool-Aid diet and was weighing in at a whopping 300 pounds.</i>

then he wrote...

<i>Few teams are excited about adding an undersized, under-rebounding power forward</i>

Undersized?

I don't have any real qualms with the possibilities, but he sounds like he doesn't know much about the situation. And Austin Croshere? No thanks.

8. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

i think its a pretty good article but honestly think taylor is not going to go anywhere. i also think that croshere is worse then taylor and we do not need a pf shooting threes with all those shooters we have.

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Move Mo, Mo sucks, Mo is overpaid, Mo is finished, Mo Mo Mo blah blah blah. A year ago it was Kenny who couldn't cut it and had to go. For all we know, Mobley could go down with a season-ender this year, and there'd be a hundred people in here next summer screaming at CD to dump him.

We don't know how good Mo Taylor will be this year or the year after that. Unless we can trade him for Lewis, let's let him play and see what happens.

10. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

A couple of months ago, before the draft, Chad Ford put Boki in his projected All-Rookie team. His all-rookie team was, I think, Manu, Boki, Jay W., Butler and Gooden

11. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

That Austin Croshere swap sounds like garbage. And although Mo doesn't have three point range, he can shoot the ball out to about 18 feet. One of the knocks against MoT is that he doesn't play a low-post game very well, yet homedude claims that's his strength. I agree with Jeff that this guy really hasn't done his homework. Did anyone else catch the implication that the Rockets' deal with Seattle would have been EG+MoT for Lewis and Seattle passed on it?

12. Stevie Francis

i agree no one knows that mo is gonna suck from now on. I mean his injury is almost as bad as acl injuries, and baron davis had one and look at how explosive he is, its all a metter of rehabbing hard in the early critical stages of the injury. Mo will be fine. As sl ong as he can hit his umpers at least. I just hope he doesn't tear his other achilles.Then he should call it quits.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Dogbelly: The Rox would never trade Griffin at this point of his career. He one of the shining stars, inline to do great things! Lewis would just be an exta part of the big picture!

14. PhiSlammaJamma

And he called Mobley a "quiet" assassin. Oh my. There isn't anything about Mobley that says quiet.

15. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

I agree Yetti. I believe a straight up swap of Mo for Lewis(possibly with a draft pick) would be fair, considering they may end up with nothing. But for him to suggest that the Rockets were offering Griffin, and Seattle was the one who declined, sounds totally ridiculous.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing as I read those articles, Jeff & DB. This is the best they can do? There are several folks here that could write much better columns about the Rockets. Objectivity might be a bit of a problem, though. ;)

They talk about the League's best scoring duos, and some them haven't played a game together! But I did like their take on Francis and Mobely, Bostjan and Yao (Peewee Herman??? Not hardly! Eddie and MoT for Lewis? LMAO!), and bringing in Bryon Russell.

Overall, very positive stuff about the Rocks. Maybe most of us here aren't so crazy after all. Thanks a bunch, LiLStevie3. :)

17. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, an ACL tear is much worse than a torn achillies tendon. Tendons heal much faster than ligaments. Players who tear their ACL are almost never the same as they were before, I don't think this is the case with a torn achilles.

18. Stevie Francis

in one thread i heard that if dal, and sea did a S&T, they asked for finley and nash for lewis. Can you beleive that ****.

19. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I think he was referring to the fact that Mobley isn't really recognized or appreciated by people around the league. When people talk about the best 2 guards or best scorers in the league, the name, Cuttino Mobley, generally doesn't come up (other than on this board of course :)). So by "quiet", I'm assuming that they're trying to imply that he's a terrific "assassin" or whatever that goes unnoticed for the most part.

I'm delighted that the Rockets are finally getting some respect and recognition as one of the top up and coming teams to watch.

20. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Tom Gugliotta tore both of his achilles. Never been the same since.