1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets Assistant Coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets still looking for assistants.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Among the candidates Houston is pursuing for Mike D'Antoni's bench after failing to pry Rex Kalamian out of Toronto: Vet coach Johnny Davis</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/740642987223461888">June 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On MDA staff in Los Angeles. Was Dwight's HC from 03-05 in Orlando. <a href="https://t.co/BHT3kRcFs6">https://t.co/BHT3kRcFs6</a></p>&mdash; Rockets Insider (@Rockets_Insider) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rockets_Insider/status/740643474794385408">June 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#1 Deuce, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

3. sabesque

sabesque Member

I am not a fan of stien's writing. Failing to pry?

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Any time Dallas Stein can jab the Rockets, he is all in.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We have Bizdelik yet?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes. And Roy Rogers

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

All coaches 60 and over, come join the Rockets retirement home!
    All coaches without employment looking for one last check, come join the Rockets!

[​IMG]

[rquoter]"Johnny is a two-time NBA head coach with years of experience playing as well as coaching in this league," said D'Antoni. "The vast array of NBA knowledge he brings to the table will be invaluable to us."[/rquoter]

[rquoter]How did this opportunity to come to Los Angeles arrive, coach?

Davis: The NBA is really a close fraternity in that you know people around the league, and there isn't a huge turnaround in terms of new people coming in. Often, it's people just switching places, because the NBA is such a wonderful place to be and not many want to leave. There was an opportunity to join Mike's staff, and it was a good fit for me. I love the way that Mike plays, the philosophy of up-tempo basketball being something I believe in. Just from watching him over the years, his teams are always competitive and they play a real good style of basketball. The opportunity was a no-brainer for me, because I've always admired him and his system from a distance. Obviously, you have to have talent and healthy players and time to get the system intact, but I think Mike D'Antoni is an amazing coach who brought in the kind of play that you're beginning to see all around the NBA.

Your fellow assistant coach Kurt Rambis said he'll likely focus some of his time on the defensive side of the ball, but is it fair to say that you and he have been around the NBA so long that you can focus on really any part of the game that Mike requires?

Davis: For me, basketball – unlike football and baseball and some other sports where you have a huge number of people involved – is 12 people on the roster that night and maybe two or three making up the rest of the team. That's not a lot of people, and in terms of what you have to do, those same 12-15 guys have to play on both sides of the ball when they are inserted into the game. I think that a coach should be well versed in not just offense and defense, but also game management, player relations and more. Coaching is all of that to me. So you can be specific in the sense of, let's divvy up the responsibilities to a degree with offense and defense and management and scouting, but a coach has to be able to do all of those things. Then wherever he's needed, be very comfortable going into that area. I'll be prepared to do all of the above, because it's all basketball to me. My training as a player beginning in 1976 up to today, I remember when you had guards, forwards and a center, not just that the point guard or the small forward does specific things. You had to be able to pass, defend, shoot, move without the ball, be able to play fast and slow and on and on. Our philosophy will be to play up-tempo basketball, and apply consistent pressure on the defense, and that's the style I prefer and am comfortable with.

We think about D'Antoni's offensive system first in terms of needing that time to be understood and installed, but how about defensively? The team ranked only 18th in defensive efficiency last season…

Davis: What takes place in training camp comes on both sides of the ball with a philosophy, and you get to sell the players on that. If you don't have a training camp, you're doing it all on the fly. Now, if a player can move his feet on offense, he can do it on defense – it's just a matter of if he wants to. Defense is cohesion amongst the players that are on the floor. Everyone has to understand what his responsibility is. When there is a breakdown is when someone isn't sure where he should be, and that's when the offensive team gains an advantage.

What does this team need to focus upon the most to be more competitive than may be expected?

Davis: The key is that we really and truly and sincerely have to be a team. Not just a collection of guys wearing the same color uniform, but truly a team so when you are practicing or doing anything, you don't want to let your teammate down. And you'll do what you're supposed to do to give the team the best chance at success. And do it consistently.

That sounds a lot like Steve Nash and D'Antoni's message about what wasn't occurring last season, Coach.

Davis: You simply have to be a team in every sense of the word. You have to really give yourself to the team. And when each guy does that to become a team, you can overcome all types of odds and obstacles. I think the team itself will decide how far they want to go. If everyone has reasonable good health, then the sky is the limit. If they play together and believe in one another, allow the coaching staff to coach, believe and commit to do what's necessary to win and not be concerned about individual goals, they'll be able to achieve it.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/130808_johnnydavis[/rquoter]

#7 J.R., Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

johnny davis career head coaching record: 73-146