1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets #3 on West Summer Forecast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Aug 18, 2015.

1. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

...but they have arguably the best coach in the league right now. If there's anyone that can find a way to make it work, I think it's Pops. Remember when the Spurs were a defense first team, scored about 70 points/gm, and won it that way? Remember when they ran a flow offense and won it 2014? Pops has the ability to adapt and exploit the strengths of players.

With that being said, I'm not high about being ranked 3rd but I believe it's fair. 3rd coming from ESPN caught me by surprise really, I've already heard "experts" put us on the 4-6 spot in the WC.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't question the fact that their coach is awesome, but at some point you need the talent too. I'm not sure even Pop can make a miracle happen with a super thin team that is entirely reliant on numerous old guys.

Sure getting LMA is going to make them better than they would have been, but if Duncan were to go down for any considerable time, that team probably doesn't make the playoffs at all.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No one can correctly rank who is no.1 or 2, and 3 in the West right now. I can only rank GS, Spurs, Rockets, OKC on top 4, but do not know who is no.1 or no.3. We are not ranking the teams in the East, then would be much an easy job.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Duncan is going down for considerable time? When was the last time that happened. People rank them for no.2 because they are good for many years, and last year they had the same record as the rockets, and add a star PF, could have five more wins this year. You can say the rockets could be better, but stop question the spurs until you see its falling.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no way to know, when was the last time he played at 39 years old? Again, no depth and an over-reliance on a 39 year old is a really really bad thing. The Spurs have like 6 quality players on their entire roster.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

When was ESPN or the overall media not respecting the Spurs?

Please check last season's prediction as most of the media picked the Spurs to repeat.

7. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

the Spurs are going to be better than they were last year.... just sayin...

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Here's how I see it .

Tier 1 ... Warriors , ROX , LAC , SAS , OKC , MEM ... Any of these teams could win the west this year . Each team will probably match up well against some teams in this tier and poorly against others . While you could argue that GS deserves to be ranked higher ... I believe that health is the biggest factor between them and that's a crapshoot .

Tier 2 . NOP , the next best in the west ..... But it won't matter . Even if davis gets even better the other TEAMs will outclass the Pelicans in a series .

Tier 3 .... Who's gives a crap . These teams will be easy fodder for the top squads and although there is a good amount of talent and anything can happen in a single game . The top of the west is just too good .

9. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I agree. The west is too close that tier 1 is almost the entire playoff seeds.

The top 7 seem to be a lock with the teams you've mentioned. The 8th seed will be a dog fight and will come down to which Cinderella team surprises (there's always one that does far better than expectation like the Suns over the past 2 years did).

My guess for the 8th seed comes down to the Kings, Wolves and Mavs.
    For the Kings, it's about the core of Cousins/Rondo/Gay. All are established players with experience. Chemistry is holding them back.
    For the Wolves, it's just about pure talent. The team is very inexperienced and so I think Sac is ahead of them, but they have a chance with Wiggins/Rubio/KAT/Peko/Lavine and K-Mart. That team, while having no chem at all has some good talented names on it.
    Finally, Dallas could make the 8th purely based on experience. Dirk/Parsons/Wed/Deron all are very experienced and generally seasoned in the Playoffs (maybe not Parsons the choker).

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Being realistic isn't so bad.

Try it out.

Major Disappointments in a realistic world would be winning in the low 50s and getting knocked out in the first round.

Also, how could we be your #1 with McFail? You of all people are sure of just how terrible he is.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

100% agree.... Even though I think on paper were deeper than GSW.

12. rocketseagles07

We hear this talk about the spurs age every year and every year it's business as usual. I'll believe it when I see it

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree completely and I think most of the basketball junkies agree too. It's the sports writers who are prone to reactionary hyperbole trying to predict rankings. They got the best FA who was actually available, but they lost 4 key starters and now have to rely on a mix of past their prime players, and really young guys. Pop will make them competitive for sure, but I don't think they finish in the top 3 and losing that top tier seeding will definitely hurt the Spurs just like it helped Houston last year.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

We heard that 'Spurs are old' talk way too premature(started when they turned 30) but this year they really are way past the average retirement age of NBA players(normally 35-37ish). Manu is 38, TD is 39, and Parker is 33. Don't forget that those guys have all played extended post seasons for 15+years AND international ball. This year Duncan will be a top 10 minutes/games played of all time guy - you can't expect his body to defy age forever because at this point only a small handful of people in the history of NBA played have been able to defy it longer.

Remember when everyone thought Kobe was indestructible and then all of a sudden age caught up with him and he has hardly been on the court since? The Spurs big three were already a bit of a statistical outlier last year - I don't think they can buck the trend forever. Tony Parker is critical to this team's success because he is the one playmaker on the roster who can get the other guys shots....and that's a problem because at 33, Parkers game was predicated on him being one of the quickest guys on the court. At his age he is already starting to lose that advantage and Parker is a lot more slightly above average NBA player without it.

I love the Spurs and cheer for them against anyone except Houston but this really is the year. They should be judged on how far Kawhi & LMA take them because I wouldn't count on the old big 3 for a lot.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

The Spurs are old and they will suxs.

16. Handles

Handles Member

Spurs won't suck but c'mon, are we really considering them as locks? And manu as a factor? Parker is questionable. Duncan is solid, but he's nearly 40 years old... Lamarcus couldn't take the blazers very far and that team was nearly as talented as this spurs roster (minus coaching). Plus, LMA and the entire spurs roster is a year older now. Kawhi is a very nice player, I'll give them that, but he is no playmaker so he'll never be a star.

17. val_modus

val_modus Member

It speaks volumes about this team last year to hear "experts" say that this current roster, which is possibly the deepest in the league on paper, will match last year's record; this in spite of the fact that Howard missed half the season, and our projected starting lineup played 2 total games together all year.

Just makes you really think about that MVP decision again...

18. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

http://gifatron.com/2012/12/star-trek-dude-freaking-out/

19. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Sorry, I meant to actually post that gif instead of link it! Dangit...

20. rockets13champs

Adam Silver: Congrats to the City of Houston on winning the 2016 NBA Finals