1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rivers May Leave Celtics After Season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketMania1991, Apr 14, 2010.

1. RocketMania1991

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5085789

No Surprise here, the team is done and I think it was only a matter of time before he got canned in the upcoming years.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He's a terrible coach, a monkey couldda "led" that Celtics team to a championship. Doc is getting out before he gets fired

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

abandon ship!

4. Entropy

Entropy Member

Shows you that Tom Thibodeau was the real brains behind that operatoin.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

[​IMG]

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

a monkey couldda typed this post

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What shows you that?

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

this cracks me up everytime haha

9. RocketMania1991

I agree in that anyone could of coached Allen/Pierce/Garnett to a championship.

Rivers was almost about to get the boot before they arrived then suddenly he is garnished as coach of the year.

He had three hall of famers in the prime of their career, hard to screw that up.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The Celtics fell off bad. I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall and the fact that his core players are in line for AARP memberships soon. I always thought he was a below average coach anyway but seemed to be a nice guy. Enjoy your family and your time off, Doc.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Its funny how people say Doc Rivers can not coach and that anybody could of led them to a championship. Doc deserved Coach of the Year . He made the team play DEFENSE first and the players bought into his motto.

On the other hand, Phil Jackson has had the best talent (legendary HOFS) , but gets praise for being able to "manage egos" and the triangle offense (tex winter's).

As the world changes , the world stays the same.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Its funny how people say Doc Rivers CAN coach. He was made by his players, just look at the results for years before Garnett and Allen. Doc deserved Coach of the Year as much as Mike Brown, which was not much. Tom Thibodeaux made the team play DEFENSE first and the players bought into his motto.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

How do you know Thibs made the team play defense? So I guess Doc was just a puppet on the bench?

No egos to manage?

Doc's record before the arrival of the trio, does not tell the whole story. Those teams were trash no matter who coached them.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

Maybe because Rivers had never been known as a defensive coach, while Thibodeau had been an assistant for great defensive teams in NY and Houston.

15. sew

sew Member

That's what I was thinking

16. RocketMania1991

I think your team probably plays better defense when you get a guy who has made all defensive NBA First Team 10 times in his career.....

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

The teams that did not do well when Doc was there were teams full of young guys.

People act like he failed with a whole bunch of talent.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO of course he was just a puppet on the bench. How do I know Thibs made the team defense? I dunno, maybe its because:

1. The Celts' defensive system has similarities to what the Rox employed
    2. Rivers has never been known for defense...in fact he's never been known for anything except being a sub-par coach in the league
    3. The Celts played poor D before Thibs and Garnett came to town despite being coached by Rivers a long time before that.

As for egos, its not like KG, PP and Allen are Kobe and Shaq. None of them have superstar egos, in fact although KG is the best of the three he'd rather have PP or Allen be the hero and take the final shot. The drama in the locker room is actually between Rondo and the youngsters vs the vets, and from what I can see Rivers hasn't been able to do anything about that at all. He can't even rein in his players, if he was decent coach he would have been all up Rasheed Wallace's face for being out of shape and just wildly shooting 3's all the time.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

so I guess Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, Ryan Gomes and Al Jefferson aren't considered talent? I'm not expecting playoffs with the Celt's old roster but they were consistently one of the worst teams in the league and they had a legit all-star bordering on superstar playing on their team as well as one of the most promising low post players in the league.

20. Entropy

Entropy Member

I think its analagous (with a few differences) with the Avery Johnson situation in Dallas. Since I was not there first hand in the Dallas organization, I can only infer on what happened. First few of seasons he was successful because he had Del Harris to fall back on for advice on coaching. Once Del Harris left because the situation with Avery became untenable, that's when the Dallas players started to lose confidence in Avery as a coach. A short season later, he was kicked out by Cuban.

Now with Doc Rivers, I see the same thing. Tom Thibodeau is still an assistant coach, but after Rivers got the Coach of the Year award, I don't think he felt like he still had to rely on Thibodeau that much. Of course we can factor in other factors like their big 3 getting old, but that is my opinion on it, without being privy to their organization's inner workings.