1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[ESPN] Ricky Williams suspended one year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oomp, Apr 26, 2006.

1. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Your distinction seems to be directed to the thing that a person is addicted to, not whether the addiction is physical or psychological. I would think psychological addiction of certain things can lead to similarly disastrous results as addiction to alcohol, heroin, etc. I do agree that what you're addicted to matters.

2. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

While I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence right now, I thought I read somewhere before that studies have been done that psychological addiction caused a similar physiological response, although maybe not as intense, as physical addiction. Notwithstanding that, the "difference" I was referring to was the difference in the possible negative results of addiction, which is the effect it may have on the family and friends of the addicted individual.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

OK, I'll be the first to say it:

If he does get reinstated, I wouldn't mind the Texans taking a chance on him as a backup RB.

4. Major

Major Member

Alcohol is mostly addictive in a psychological way, no? There may be some minor withdrawal issues, but the craving of an alcoholic person is mostly just a psychological thing rather than a physical thing, right?

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think I expressed my meaning as well as I intended, though. :)

6. updawg

updawg Member

they had Ricky on the Radio in Austin this morning. He's hoping to come back, says he would prefer to not have to go back to Miami he'd rather come back to Texas. He has no idea what the timeline is.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hope he's not expecting big money from our FO cuz it ain't happen'n.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

No. Alcohol is a chemical addiction with major withdrawal symptoms. For those who have a "drinking problem" the desire to drink is psychological, but for an "alcoholic" the addiction is physical. There is a big difference.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

bottom line...There is no drug more addictive than nicotine. I dont smoke weed, but i have to admit that weed doesnt even compare to cigarettes on the addiction level.