1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Pettitte, Clemens unsure about playing in 2007

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BenignDMD, Nov 1, 2006.

1. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte both intend to file for free agency in the coming weeks, but neither Houston Astros pitcher is sure if he will return at all next season, according to a report in MLB.com.

"I'm just not sure if I want to play, so I'm just trying to take some time back. Obviously for me to feel that way, I have some serious burnout," Pettitte told MLB.com Tuesday at Clemens' annual charity golf tournament in Texas.

"I know I'm young. I realize I'm young," Pettitte told MLB.com. "Just right now, I don't know exactly what I want to do. I just need to take some good time away and I'm trying not to think about baseball. I didn't watch any of the playoffs. I'm just trying to spend time down at my ranch and spend time with my family, and in a couple of weeks I'll really try to bear down and [decide]."

Clemens, 44, who has been down the path of retiring and unretiring before, said he was surprised to hear Pettitte talk about hanging it up.

"I'd have to tell you I'm surprised about that with Andy," Clemens told MLB.com. "I'm surprised a little bit. He's got a lot to give. He's still young. He's a competitor. It may or may not play into my decision, but I hope he plays. I have a lot of wishes for Andy. I want him to play here at home, because he's great and he can help this club win."

"It's been a blessing to come home and do this. I also hear when Boston calls and when the Yankees have something to say," Clemens told MLB.com. "It's very flattering, but the ball goes into my court once I decide if I'm going to [play]. I know it's too early a question to ask me. But it's something Andy obviously doesn't want to talk about."

Link

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if either or both plays, it will be in an astros uniform. the very fact that andy is already mulling retirement i think contributes to houston's chances of keeping him home.

i don't know what to think about roger...i think he loves the adulation...and can't imagine not hearing the crowds cheering for him. he has a sweetheart deal here. it wouldn't surprise me to see him keep pitching until he embarasses himself.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Oh boy let the Roger "will he or won't he" watch start again, nobody let Brett Favre get wind of this.....

4. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

We need them both next season.

Drayton get on it!

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah, starting in late July. Sign them both for 1/2 a season. Andy notoriously sucks the first half of the year. He needs to stay at the house and throw 100 pitches to a backstop every 5th day and then sign in July, throw 2 games in the minors and then come up to the big club mid to late July. That way he can come in sharp and bring it. Same thing with Roger. Roger, I think, really wants to win a WS here before he shuts it down. Bring him back at the end of July. We need to trade for Dontrelle, sign Lee or Soriano, sign Bengie Molina and start the year with

Roy O
    Dontrelle
    whoever
    whoever
    whoever

Then come August we've got

Roy O
    Dontrelle
    Roger
    Andy
    whoever

With the addition of the bats plus Dontrelle, we should be able to hold our own until August, and then with Roger and Andy on board, take it to the house.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

we need zito and that dude from japan, and steal tom glavine away.

7. tested911

tested911 Member

Get Dontrelle, Soriano and that guy from Japan..... Guaranteed WS contenders.. but don't know about WS winners..

Thow in Benjie on top of that and I think we have a pretty good off-season

pinch pinch.... Sorry just woke up what was everyone talking about?

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Why aren't we talking about Molina? It seems to me like he would make a whole lot more sense than just a no defense bat. This guy plays both halves of the inning, and would take an automatic out out of the lineup and turn it into a good hitting slot. Wouldn't that do a lot more than just replacing another spot in the lineup that is not as weak offensively as the catcher's spot?

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Surprise...surprise...Cheech and Chong don't know whether they want to play anymore. Shocker!

10. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Nah dude we need to get Johan Santana and Fransisco Liriano for Ensberg, then trade Lane for Teixeira and Mike Young. then sign Zito, soriano, lee, and the japanese guy.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't forget about trading Lidge for Pujols.

Soriano
    Young
    Pujols
    Berkman
    Teixeira
    Lee
    Burke
    Molina

Oswalt
    Santana
    Liriano
    Zito
    Pettitte

Clemens becomes new closer.

World Series in the bag... :D

12. msn

msn Member

Holy crap! That's the '27 Yankees!

13. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

at this point,

we may have to trade Burke for R.Howard :(

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There was a quote somewhere that had Clemens saying he'd like to see Andy knock out Whitey Ford's win record with the Yankees.

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I'm personally sick of the rent a pitcher for half a season scenario. I'd let Andy walk and I'd say pitch a whole year or thank for the memories to Roger.

Build a winner for 2007 instead of living in the memories of 2005.

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I think we need Andy next year. I'd love to have Clemens next year too. But for me, if it comes down to having Roger for a 1/2 season or getting a bat ala Carlos Lee or Soriano, then I'd opt for the bat.

How about Andy, Roger, Lee, and Soriano :)

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

No way we're doing the half season thing with Roger again. Screw that.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

really? i think the astros would jump all over that. you're paying him pro-rated. as long as you knew well in advance, i'm thinking it would be fine. that way he doesn't wear down again late in the season as he did in 2004 and 2005.

19. updawg

updawg Member

I'm all for it. Better than nothing

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

They should give Clemens a December deadline to see if he is coming back or not. All that media attention about him retiring every offseason is getting pretty annoying.