1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Pau-Bynum swap discussed

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Dec 31, 2013.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I singled out some juicy tidbits, but you can read the rest here

Could the last bit have been a three team deal involving Asik? The only two team scenario would involve Asik + Lin, thus highly unlikely for the expiring Gasol.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the lakers arent likely getting an offer better than the savings from waiving bynum and say alonzo gee, but if it's their perogative to hold on hoping for future assets, good luck to them.

3. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

I thought Pau and Howard worked fairly well towards the end of last season, when Gasol was operating from the high post full-time and thus had some near triple-doubles (upon looking it up, Pau actually had 3 of them). Dwight also once said he loved playing with him.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If we end up with Gasol for Asik, I would ecstatic.

5. shastarocket

Eff yeah, especially since it will open up some nice cap space to sign this guy:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursn...o-remain-with-spurs-doesnt-rule-out-leaving/?

6. basketballholic

I don't see the Lakers doing this deal straight up for $$$ savings. I think it is an attempt by them to get Melo or some other superstar to town. Here's how:

Pau, Blake, Nash, Hill is enough outgoing salary for them to take in Melo and Amare together. I haven't looked at the exact numbers in a while so Lakers may have to throw in another contract but the point remains, they have enough expiring contract value plus Nash (likely retirement) to take on both players.

Now, if they are able to send Pau to Cleveland and extract a pick or two along with Bynum's contract that may be enough to convince the Knicks to pull the trigger, get out of the luxury tax, let this season go, and rebuild with the pick and cap space this summer.

Lakers out: Pau, Nash, Blake, Hill, etc.
    Lakers in: Melo and Amare

Cleveland out: Bynum/Miles/Sims/pick
    Cleveland in: Pau

Knicks out: Melo/Amare/minimum salary guys
    Knicks in: Nash/Blake/Hill/Miles/Sims

What this does is get the Knicks out of the luxury tax this year, gets Melo to the Lakers, with Amare's contract expiring next year, and gets Cleveland a legit 5.

This is the basic deal I believe the Lakers are after. I don't believe they trade Pau unless they can move Nash out too and get a legit superstar back for him. Lakers care more about getting 2 more superstars to play with Kobe next year than they care about saving $20 million.

Watch the trade break down if they can't engage the Knicks.

Also, watch for Bynum to agree to an approximate $7 million buyout that can be executed on Feb 21st. This puts more money in his pocket over being cut on January 7th and allows the Cavs to hold him to the trade deadline for trading purposes.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good job by the Cavs signing Bynum to that deal. Win-win, high value acquisition. Well, except for that one assistant coach.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Typical LA reporting

Ramona Shelburn - Pau Bynum Deng deal being discussed

5 minutes later.....

- Deal is far from imminent because all three teams hate the trade

9. Play07

Play07 Member

basketballholic ---- I see Morey talked to lakers about gasol, l like we months ago watch out for Lin+Asik for gasol... I think Henry & brewer are somewhere in the mix as fillers... Wouldn't sleep on it sure mike D. Will push it for Lin if the deal is still on the table. Morey gets his solid pf/c/tt rental and cap space for 2014 like we said.

Seems like lakers rather take the Bynum + pick from cavs to have the cap space for next year.

Wonder why asik can't get us the pick+Bynum since at least they get one more year out of asik vs gasols expiring ? How is that trade good for cavs giving up a pick for a rental & not in "win now" mode.

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

As much as I hate Gasol, we'd be stronger contenders with him.

The Lakers couldn't figure it out, but Pau with Dwight is a good look.

Pau can post, stretch the floor and hit the open jumper as needed. And, he gives the Rockets size and some easy buckets.

His contract is disgusting but I'm sure Morey would use it as a trade chip in a major player trade.

The bigger question is do you give up Lin in that trade, too. When he's back, I think Pat and AB can handle the point, just like AB did for numerous seasons as a starter.

I wouldn't mind getting Blake in the deal, but I hope the Lakers are smart enough to realize how underrated he is as a ball-handler and decision maker.

11. shastarocket

IMHO, Pau's most attractive ability (for the Rox) is being a facilitator. As good as we can look on offense, we look horrendous when the ball stops moving and everything degenerates into 1-on-1.

As of right now, our only creators are Parsons, Harden, Lin and (occasionally) AB.

Pau would be incredible

12. Mariachi ROCKET

Blake and Pau for Lin and Asik. Fair swap...

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's pretty much all trade reporting from all outlets in every city. Wouldn't doubt that these are exactly what Shelburne heard from the team sources.

One team leaks to media for its own purpose, then everyone down-plays and denies the trade discussion because either discussions legitimately stall, one team gets cold feet, or the teams don't want rumors to distract their players.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Why aren't the Rox going after Bynum???!!!!
    Asik doesn't want to play here and Bynum doesn't want to play there. It's perfect from both sides. Houston might also get a pick.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think you're being serious, but there are a couple reasons:

1. The cap relief his release will provide comes one season too early;
    2. We don't want him to sleep with Mrs Sampson

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Have you seen Mrs Sampson??
    Seriously, Bynum off the bench would be good for us.

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Please no. Huge setback for us

18. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Setback? Where exactly are we now with Asik?

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

You have one of the youngest teams in the league and you go after a soft center WELL past his prime? You have a need for a stretch 4 that can defend and hit 3's, and your answer is Pau Gasol??? Really? Is he expected to run the floor and help our transition offensively? Or he suposed to help our defense? Oh, now I see:rolleyes:

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We don't need a stretch four. Terrence Jones is all the 4 we need. We need a reliable back up center.