1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Offseason's winners and losers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Albert Einstain

I 'm willing to act as your translater ,man.but i have to ask your a very essential question before all.how much salary will you pay me? i want 2m per year at least ,can you afford ,man?

You'd better hire yao as your translater . :D 2m is a huge amount of money,so huge that is even enough to afford yao's one-year work.As we all know ,yao's all incomes account to just 2m in total.the 30m has to be detected before going into yao's pocket. :D

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't think a lot of these sports writers looked at this deal. I think they saw "Artest to Rockets" and started writing away without actually looking at what the Rockets gave up to get him.

Absolute worst case scenario is that Ron goes berserk and gets traded or banned from the team and the Rockets go to war with the same team as least year only with a more experienced Scola, Landry (fingers crossed) and Brooks.

3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't understand why all these dumbass analysts keep acting like this is such a high-risk move. We lost NOTHING. How in the hell was this an "all-or-nothing" move in the least? We were contenders even before this trade, and we didn't give up a single once of the pieces that made us contenders. We only got better, and we risked almost zero to make it happen, especially being that Artest is in the last year of his contract.

"Bold move" my ass. It was an obvious move. A ridiculously obvious move.

4. blender

blender Member

I wouldn't say we gave up nothing for Artest. Once he matures, Donte Greene could turn out to be a very good player, and who knows what could've been had with next year's first rounder? And Jackson's expiring could've been traded later on for a decent contributor.

Of course, I'd still do this trade in half a heartbeat.

5. MONON

MONON Member

Chad Ford hasn't seen a Webster Dictionary recently. I will paraphrase.

Desparation: an act simular to the 2008 NBA trades of the Mavericks and Suns at the trade deadline. :D

6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

You can make a case about Donte, but that's still a longshot right now. And an even longer shot that he'd be a solid contributor during the window we have with McGrady/Yao/Scola.

You cannot, however, make a case about Bobby Jackson's contract... You realize of course, that Artest's contract is expiring, too, right? And his contract is even bigger than Jackson's was.

We gave up very, VERY little.

7. blender

blender Member

Oh you're right. This was a deal that the Rockets had to make. And to make it without losing any of the core players is a huge coup.

I'm just saying it's not like we gave up Mike Harris, Malik Badiane and a re-signed Moochie. Like many posters have said, this is a calculated risk, but one we had to take.

And you're right about the expiring contract. But I'm wondering if Artest doesn't look like he's working out by the All-Star Break (knock on wood), would we be able to trade his expiring for something meaningful, like we could've with Jackson? Just a thought.

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Why in the world wouldn't we? If Artest doesn't work out (which I think is pretty unlikely), his contract would have the same appeal as Bobby Jackson's. He just wouldn't play for whatever team he was traded to, just like Bobby probably wouldn't. They would still be clearing up space for the summer.

9. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

And Mavericks bashing :cool:

10. University Blue

Houston needs YM, TM, and SB to be themselves.

Houston also needs RA (Ron Artest), JD, and LS to be themselves. I hope Artest plays rough and physical and gets technicals; and JD and LS are there to cover his ***. Artest is only 6'7" -- he needs to act crazy to intimidate. Ever since the departures of Maxwell, Elie, Barkley, and Sura; this Houston team has been pushed around by opponents and officials.

In summary, there is at least one Houston fan who would like to see Ron Artest...be himself.

11. Tmac-is-numero1

second that :D

12. pkboy

pkboy Member

exactly.....

13. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Yeah? Well up yours too buddy! :mad:

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

"They were active trying to get their hands on Ron Artest, but, like the Rockets, it was more an act of desperation than a savvy basketball move."

I think the intent of this phrase should have read, "...but, unlike the Rockets,.."

Then it makes sense.

Editor missed it.

15. rocketanalyist

ROFL.....LMAO :D :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

I do like Chinese people though..just need to find a good looking chinese woman to teach me their language in private! :cool: ;)