1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[ESPN News] Ric Bucher "Include Houston in group of teams that may get Bosh"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brozef, Jun 28, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The trade exception cannot be combined with player salaries for purposes of salary matching. Now, if Toronto also wanted to send back a player making $3M next year, then technically the Rockets could make TWO trades: one with the trade exception and then another with the full ~$13.2M in salary for Bosh.

Also, I don't think Brooks will be included in the sign-and-trade package.

2. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Cool, now I know. (And knowing is half the battle)

Seriously though, I just view AB as more expendable than Scola at this point, and considering his value probably won't ever be higher than it is right now, I say send him out if that's what it takes.

I wouldn't risk losing Kyle, a pg that makes everyone better to keep an offensive minded pixie in a system containing Yao, Bosh, Ariza, and Martin. Just my opinion, I know many disagree.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In a heartbeat!

Hill and Patterson are somewhat redundant anyway, if we keep both Hill has to go to the 5/4. So he is replaced by Bosh.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Some of you really underrate what Brooks brings to this team. As much as I like Lowry, it is ridiculous that y'all suggest we include Brooks in any sign and trade. Brooks was the kind of player we been looking for years and sadly now that we have him everybody wants to give him away. In order to get Bosh from the Raptors the Rockets just need to include some first and second round picks and perhaps the rights to Llull. I'm sure the Rockets would take this rather than letting Bosh stay in the East.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think it's smart. No matter what they get back, if they lose LBJ, it's rebuilding. The one bargaining chip they have is an extra year and guaranteed $30 million... unless the S&T return is WAY more than usual, I'd be very careful about giving other teams access to the only trump card they hold.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The 30m left on the table is overrated big time. Bosh, like james can just sign a 4yr deal with a eto again like duncan has done through his nba life and hit it again before their 30th birthday.

7. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Hate to break it to you guys, but Bosh isn't coming to Houston.

8. Dubious

Are you Chris's agent breaking the big story?

Because otherwise, you don't know jack.

Odds are you will be correct but just walking in here with definitive statements just makes you look like an ass. None of us believe it is likely, just possible and worth pursuing.

I did just listen to the Conangelo interview on 790 and he and whoever is running the mike this morning made a strong case that taking back a huge trade exception is the most flexible choice for Toronto. That and draft picks are probably the best way they can reconstruct the team going forward.

#88 Dubious, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  9. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Odds are you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, and I'm better connected than you are.

How about this, put your money where your mouth is. I'm willing to put mine up.

I bet you $1,000.00 that Chris Bosh <i>doesn't</i> sign with the Rockets, deal?

10. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Way to play the odds..

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Spot on, Brooks is so much better than folks give him credit for.

Most improved player
    Led the NBA in 3pt shots made
    Improving assist to turnover ratio
    20ppg

Yeah, let's give that guy up...lol....

DD

12. Dubious

At what odds? How about you at least call the team and call with Lebron or without Lebron. You could also describe how you are so in the know about issues undecided.

I will straight up tell you I don't know jack nnd you won't see me making definitive statements. I just have a glimmer of hope and it makes some sense
    ie:

1. The Rox have trade assets
    2. There are lucrative Chinese endorsements available for Houston Players.
    3. If Yao plays, this team can compete for a ring.
    4. etc. etc.

So, tell us how you know stuff. Because
    is just being a dick.

13. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

And I think he would fit really well with either Lebron or Bosh on this team. I'm not saying we're getting either or both but trading away Brooks to get them would not be worth it. We have enough assets with experienced players (Battier or Scola), young players (Budinger or Hill) and picks, that we wouldn't have to give up Brooks.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Indeed. If we're worth one max contract, we must obviously be able to keep getting it our entire careers.

Signed,
    T-Mac, Yao, Grant Hill, Steve Francis, Micheal Redd, AK47... and I'm sure plenty of other players I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

15. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

wow.

so, on a team with very few offensive creators, you want to send out the best one we have? keep in mind, if you send him out in a bosh transaction, you are not getting back a creator in return, you're getting back a jump shooter and post player.

we saw what happens when you have no creators last year - it meant players like ariza had to play off the dribble and was a disaster.

with yao returning, brooks' perimeter shooting becomes even more of an asset. kyle doesn't have the perimeter game that brooks does, so if you dot want his defender to sag off him onto Yao and Scola, then you either need him to develop a good outside shot immediately, or you need brooks.

if anything, the return of Yao, acquisition of Patterson, and potential acquisition of bosh all serve to make Scola more expendable, not brooks.

having met scola a few times, i can tell you that he is one of the best people i've ever met who was a professional athlete. from a personal perspective i would hate to see him go. but that does not change the basic principles of roster construction in the NBA, and simply put, his position and skillset are some of the most redundant on the current team.

16. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

A LITTLE bit skewed on a 40-42 team with no inside presence that used their PG as their first offensive option. Of course, with Yao back, he could improve even more, but Martin at the 2 paired with Lowry is a nice balanced backcourt attack.

I'm not saying we need to trade him no matter what, he doesn't make us a worse team, but if giving him up for Bosh is what it takes, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. I don't hate Brooks, I just think he's a little overrated.

17. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

^^ 42-40, dernit!

18. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

EERRRR, awkward. Thank you.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, if you're one of the greatest players of all-time, like Duncan and LeBron, you can do that. If you're Chris Bosh, you don't give up that guaranteed money, and it's NOT overrated. Bosh is a very good player, but he's not in the Duncan/LeBron class that is automatically a full max player at any point in his career. And don't think he and his agent don't know that.

20. Games6&7in94

Games6&7in94 Member

This is the kind of comment that kills the credibility of the fan base posting on this website.

You just said that the priority should be a backup over a perennial all star.

Expect more, it doesn't mean you're a bad fan.