1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Nets pursuing Josh Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ivenovember, Feb 10, 2013.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I'd ask for Gortat, if i was Danny Ferry.
    Though something like Dudley + expirings + Lakers' unprotected pick would be pretty cool too.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

The thing with Phoenix though, like Houston, they could afford to target Smith (or Millsap, Big Al, Iggy, etc) this summer as free agents. And they are a desirable location.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Doesn't this trade just keep Phoenix mediocre? They have a shot at drafting a very good young prospect this coming draft, and they are deciding the waste their rebuilding efforts on Josh Smith? A guy who will give them a couple more wins this season?

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Getting Josh Smith now would help season tickets renewal, that's about the only sense i see in this. Sarver has been very business-focused.
    Otherwise, it's smarter to keep the assets and target him during the offseason with their cap space (or start a more extensive rebuilding process).

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

dayum, Bima went IN on 'em

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Nets getting Josh Smith means they're enticing Dwight to join. While Nets was his preferred destination last season, they may be worried that the Rockets will snag him. I personally don't want him in the Rox, but we've all heard the comments and blogs with Dwight noticing Houston as a good destination. I hope he goes to Brooklyn, love to see them kick Knick's ass and leave us to net another star who is not a cry baby.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

It's literally impossible for Brooklyn to get Howard. Obviously, they aren't even close to having the necessary cap space, and starting this summer, teams in the lux tax are banned from receiving players in sign and trades.

They don't. What's your point? Beasley is trash, Johnson is trash, Markieff is even worse than his brother, Dragic, Gortat, and Dudley aren't old but they aren't young. Marshall is somebody, but every team has a young prospect at Marshall's level.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Nets trying for Josh Smith but ATL has no interest in offers w/Kris Humphries. Neither do many teams they're trying to involve for 3-way</p>&mdash; Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/303877551716192256">February 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

and

[rQUOTEr]"I don't see anything for us right now," Sixers coach Doug Collins said Monday.

[...]

According to a pair of league sources with knowledge of the discussions, the Atlanta Hawks approached the Sixers seeking to acquire Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes in exchange for forward Josh Smith.[/rQUOTEr]
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...cted_to_make_waves_before_trade_deadline.html

EDIT:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I'll say it one more time. The Suns have no interest in Josh Smith. This is Atlanta trying to create a market for a player they want to move</p>&mdash; John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) <a href="https://twitter.com/Gambo620/status/303895003040710659">February 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#88 HMMMHMM, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard
    Im told Monte Ellis's name is coming up in discussions btwn Milwaukee & ATL in potential Josh Smith deal.

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...nliklely-deal-josh-smith-phoenix-suns-sources

11. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ric Bucher:

Not sure if the Spurs make a deal before Thursday, but a source says it won't be for Josh Smith or Al Jefferson.

The Jefferson rumor never had substance to it because it would've put San Antonio into a difficult salary-cap position. The Smith interest apparently died upon discovering that Josh simply didn't have the requisite Spurs' DNA. Former NBA coach Sam Mitchell told me today that playing for the Spurs would be a great benefit to Smith and I agree; he's never struck me as a malcontent or bad guy or purposely undisciplined. He might not have Spurs' DNA now, but I believe he wouldn't reject a transfusion and it would make the most of the raw talent he clearly has.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
    Among teams and officials involved in Josh Smith talks, the three most likely destinations right now: Brooklyn, Milwaukee and Phoenix.

14. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

To pair up J Smooth with Ellis and Jennings would be fun to watch, a lot of bad shots would be taken though.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm assuming one would have to be dealt in order for Josh Smith to go to the Bucks (my guess would be Monta). However, there is no way Smith signs with the Bucks this off-season, so I don't see the point in them giving up anything for him. Jennings and Smith would be fun to watch in the playoffs though.

As far as Brooklyn, can we please put an end to this nonsense from the media? Everybody knows that they have NOTHING to offer other teams in terms of talent, yet the media continues to act like Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks is an attractive trade package.

I have no idea what Phoenix is trying to do, but I do know they not only run on the mediocrity treadmill, they own the damn thing. What is Josh Smith going to do for that team? They need a LOT more than Josh Smith to become competitive, so acquiring him now does nothing for them. He's already wasted enough years on a meddling team that has no legitimate chance at a championship....he doesn't need to go to another one.

16. smr6

smr6 Member

I'd hardly even consider Phoenix as mediocre at this point...