1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Nets pursuing Josh Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ivenovember, Feb 10, 2013.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

it's an interesting idea.

The Nets have a ton of 1st rd picks. The picks they traded have already been used. Atlanta has a right to swap 1st rounders with Brooklyn in '14 and '15 (Joe Johnson deal) but that's it.
    So Brooklyn can trade up to 4 1st rounders ('13, '15, '17, '19).

Also, they could absorb some more contracts (in particular Frye's or Beasley's) to make it more attractive to the other teams.

For instance, this seems to work: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bpejnfg (multiple picks go from the Nets to the Suns, who also save 9-10 mil in long term salary).

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Nets trying to become the most overpaid, underperforming franchise.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Spurs interested?

The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Now that's scary.

But what would they give up? All that trash that was suggested by Kennedy in the possible Al Jefferson interest.

I'm sorry but Splitter, De Colo, and fillers/low 1st rounders simply shouldn't make the Spurs that much better.

Ferry better not do them a solid on this one, if not my sig is going to prove exactly what I thought originally.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

While I laughed hard at the Wallace trade/signing, the Joe Johnson trade, and signing Humphries to that absurd deal, getting Josh Smith makes a lot of sense for that team. Their forwards right now can't shoot anyway, and Smith would instantly upgrade that defense to top level.

And it's not like they care about the tax, so they can extend Smith however they want.

6. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Any one upmanship over the Knicks at all cost.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

You mean the Hawks, right?

I really like De Colo, but this would be a home-run for the Spurs. I'm not a huge fan of Josh Smith's, but Smith on the Spurs would be pretty perfect. The basketball fan in me totally wants to see this happen.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I'd rather see him wearing Rocket's Red

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's saying that package from the Spurs isn't full value for Smith. It shouldn't be able to make them that much better. Like saying Kwame Brown, two first round picks, and the rights to Marc Gasol shouldn't be able to get the Lakers Pau Gasol.

1 person likes this.
  10. HMMMHMM

Oh I see. My reading comprehension is lacking a bit I guess. :)

I actually don't think Smith has a ton of value myself. You're basically trading for the right to pay him the max, which I don't think he's worth at all.
    Still, something centered around Splitter/De Colo/1st would appear to be a very good deal for the Spurs.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL how can the Nets even afford these guys?

D-Will: max contract for 5 years
    JJ: Max contract for 2 years
    Lopez: Max contract for 5 years
    Wallace: 10M for 1 year
    J-Smith: Wants a max contract 5 years

With the new CBA, any team over the tax will have a pay a 2.5 to 1 dollar tax+won't be able to do any trades. Billy King is screwing Russian Cuban so hard.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think it would be a home run. It has the potential to be. I know SPlitter is just a role player, but he is the uber role player. 2nd straight year of 20+ PER. His per 36 minute numbers are very solid. Not quite as good as JSmiths, but almost, with much more efficient shooting. And then there's the question of how long it would take him to fit/mesh.

I'm not saying I don't do a Splitter + De Colo + filler deal, and that it doesn't have great potential, but it's not a "steal" imo.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, it's even worse than that. Wallace is in the first year of a FOUR-year, $40 million deal.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Nets vs Rockets Starting Small Forwards:

Gerald Wallace ($9,682,435) Season avgs (8.9ppg, 5.1rpg, 2.7apg)

Chandler Parsons ($888,250) Season avgs (14.3ppg, 5.6rpg, 3.7apg)

15. HMMMHMM

Yeah, I'd agree with that sentiment. I should have phrased it as "could" not "would".
    I do think it would ultimately make the Spurs better though and perhaps even put them over the top.
    I think they lack another elite athlete, another guy to guard Durant or LeBron and Josh Smith would give them just that.

Splitter is a fine player, but he's about to get paid and I think the Spurs system at times makes him look better than he is or at least would be elsewhere. I think he's very much replaceable.

With regards to the adjustment-period, this actually might make the Spurs worse in the short-term, but big picture they should be able to work it out. I just think Smith and the Spurs are ideal for each other. JMO, though. I'm sure there are some Spurs fans who'd oppose to the idea of trading Splitter + whatever else for Smith.

Well, at least the Nets didn't give up much to get Wallace.

[​IMG]

16. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

wow never even thought about that... wow... I bet they were kicking themselves.......but then they comforted themselves by saying hey wouldnt have picked him anyway we would have picked austin rivers.

:grin:

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Maybe Morey could get in to get Marshon Brooks?

18. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Splitter makes sense for ATL as they can then push Horford to the PF position which they have been wanting to do for a while now.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

I’ve heard for a few weeks now that Boston is salivating over Atlanta forward Josh Smith and would be receptive to unloading Brandon Bass and Jeff Green to obtain him.

It’s no secret Brooklyn wouldn’t mind Smith, either. The Nets, some league officials insist, apparently are offering forward Kris Humphries and swingman MarShon Brooks.

One team that hasn’t been publicly mentioned in the Smith Sweepstakes is Milwaukee, although there are whispers the Bucks are interested. The Bucks are in position to offer the Hawks as good of a deal as anyone for Smith, especially if Jennings or Ellis is involved. Bucks forward Ersan Ilyasova, whom the Nets seriously courted during free agency last summer and are still interested in, could also come into play.