1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] NBA considering re-seeding conference finalists, postseason play-in

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Nov 23, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

the current trajectory has Lakers/mavs dropping out of the playoff picture? That's odd. Everyone basically has 8 games left and nobody has any idea how these games will go. But something I would bet on is playoff teams like the Lakers/Mavs being able to turn on their switch and win enough to close out the year and not actually dropping to 9/10.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ok, I'll give the Mavs the benefit of the doubt. Their remaining schedule is a cakewalk.

Meanwhile, the Lakers have lost 3 in a row and their next 5 opponents are DEN, LAC, POR, PHX and NYK. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. In fact, of the remaining 8 games the Lakers have, the only 'sure win' is against the Rockets. LeBron is already missing the Denver game, and might miss more, depending on how that ankle feels. AD is going to have to backpack the Lakers, and it's going to be tough.

You didn't even answer my very simple yes-or-no question, and instead, deflected by answering "I don't think what you said will happen, so....yeah." I'll just answer for you. If the Lakers and/or Mavs end up 9th/10th and lose in the tourney, they're losers who don't deserve to be in the playoffs, and the other teams that made it over them are better.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

The schedule never goes according to plan when people at home try to chalk up square wins/losses. If it were that easy people would be making easy money left and right.

It wasn't even a legitimate question and nothing but hypothetical. Clearly called it odd. That's not a yes or no question

#103 YOLO, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  4. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I don't think it's stupid. I'd argue that the 7th and 8th teams in each conference probably don't deserve the playoffs either, and they are there just to round up the numbers. I mean, are the Grizzlies or the Hornets (to give a couple of examples) any better if they manage to eke out the 8th spot than if they end up 9th? Do they have any better shot at beating the number one seed four times? I doubt it. At least this way there is more incentive for teams not to tank, because hope is irrational and as long as they are not officially eliminated teams will think they have a shot and play hard.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

The only case otherwise is to say there should be less teams in the nba playoffs. In which case I’d definitely agree. Especially when the east doesn’t field a legit top 8 playoff caliber teams. I already posted there aren’t 20 playoff caliber teams in the nba. So this makes it even dumber. There was already legitimate claims to say there weren’t even 16 before this for a long time. But as it stands it’s top 8 so if They’re in the 7th and 8th seed they absolutely deserve it, when it’s all said and done after 72 games

actually this way teams could still tank and guarantee themselves a lottery pick. Bc this play in comes with draft implications

DavidJuan likes this.
  6. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Right, you are thinking of it as a sport, and at that level I agree. But the NBA is a business, and the more teams they involve the more money they make. Obviously the first round of the playoffs is a waste of time, except for the 4 vs 5 and occasionally the 3 vs 6. This doesn't change anything, but it makes more money. Pelican fans - for example - are still interested today only because of this play-in thingy.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

@Juxtaposed Jolt

like I said the schedule never goes according to plan when folks try to chalk up square win/losses. No Lebron/No Schroder. Majority jumping on Denver believing oh that's a sure W for them facing a 3 game losing streak, short handed lakers. Nah. So that's 1 down with the apparently treacherous 5 game slate of DEN, LAC, POR, PHX and NYK. And I'll bet they'll win at least 2 of the next 4 before they get to the "only sure win" Rockets game.

8. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Maybe they'll lose to the Rockets - O ye of little faith

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not happening

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Really? Tagging me? Not sure why I'm in your head, but the rent is free, so I'll enjoy my stay.

It IS a difficult 5 game slate. I never said the Lakers were going to go 0-5, nor did I say Denver was going to stomp the Lakers - all I said was that it's a difficult schedule and that I'm not confident in the Lakers' chances in the next 5. There's zero reason to be confident in the Lakers against playoff teams, without LeBron. The Lakers won against Denver. Good for you. It's the NBA - any team can win against any other team on any given day. The Rockets game IS the surest win in their remaining few games. Not sure why you quoted that.

What are you even trying to argue, here? I really don't understand. Is is that the 5 game schedule isn't tough? Is the Rockets game not going to be a cakewalk? Because the Lakers won against Denver, they can slightly relax a little and LeBron can rest more. But this doesn't make the next 4 games any easier.

Without LeBron, the Lakers haven't exactly "flipped the switch" at any point in the season. If they did, they wouldn't be in danger of needing to play in the play-in tourney. It seems like you're a fan of the Lakers / LeBron, so I'm glad for your sake that they won against Denver. But again, I'm not sure what your problem is. I quoted you yesterday in disagreement and now you're obsessed with me. It's pathetic.

Glad there's an ignore list. No reason to talk to someone who just makes stuff up.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's plenty of reasons for a current nba champion to be confident without Lebron to win a few regular season games they need.

you were the only one going on and on about the Lakers and there supposedly trajectory and this tough 5 games. you're not sure why you were quoted. If you didn't expect them to lose then you wouldn't be asking me about some 9/10th play in scenario for them on their current trajectory. And then posting about how I didn't answer some hypothetical scenario. You were the one who said ironically this may be the way they get in the playoffs and it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when I said the Lakers are a team that can flip the switch. So now since they didn't lose to Denver, you're going to double back and say well any team can win. Gotcha sounds about right for cf's. Flipping a switch means when you get to a point like this you can muster up wins. They were always going to slide with the amount of time lebron/Ad missed together. Bc when they were playing they were atop of the west which left plenty of room to be where they are now. But now with about 2 weeks left, yeah they can flip the switch.

Oh the irony. Apparently it's pathetic huh. Lets not forget who quoted who first here to begin with. I love it when losers around here bring up the ignore like it's supposed to actually hurt peoples feelings like they matter. You got checked and now you're all whining about it. Like who gives af if you ignore. Do it. I beg you

#111 YOLO, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Is Lebron still pissed at this? If so, I'm still for it.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

1st game blowout from the start. Great idea

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Update: 2nd game is also a blowout

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't understand how both games being blowouts mean it's a bad idea? Half the games in the NCAA tourney are blowouts in the first round, if not most of them are. Same for NBA first round, most of the series are not competitive outside of like 2 of them in the first round.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

You don’t understand a blowout means pretty much it’s meaningless because the worst team loss that bad. I mean that’s not exactly difficult to understand. The 1st found has playoff teams. This has even more non playoff caliber teams. More teams involved is just plain stupid. You need less not more

The ncaa tourney is full of exciting games and the range of competition has an incredibly wide range. Teams have never ever seen each other and have no idea how each other play. That’s the beauty of it. Completely different. This isn’t college

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Using this logic. Let's get rid of the NBA first round. The low seeds often get blown out and swept.

Let's get rid of low seeds in the NCAA tourney, they also get blown out. Hey, I've seen teams int he finals get blownout too...

Yeah..I don't understand that logic...It's basketball bro...teams get blown out sometimes.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not really. If you were going to use the logic, you just get rid of a few teams.

once again the logic of the NCAA doesn’t apply where you have teams that don’t even play each other and have no familiarity. The range of talent is also much more widespread

nah this isn’t. This is trash basketball watching teams that have no business talking about playoffs getting blown out. Snore fest

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Get rid of a few teams why? So, the Nets blowout the Celtics in 4 games, get rid of the 8th seed?