1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] NBA considering re-seeding conference finalists, postseason play-in

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Nov 23, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whack
    This is why David Stern is the best and Silver sucks
    Silver let the players do whatever they wanted and be lazier and this what happens

Fans don’t want load management if they paying $$$ for seats or tv
    Fans don’t want super teams and constant swapping of players

smoothie_king, juanm34 and BigShasta like this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

I am in favour of all the proposals especially the cup.

It is however disgusting that how it is portrayed right now in the media..basically wondering how to beg the players to show interest in bringing back a title for their fans. :rolleyes:
    How spoiled are the players? I am getting more and more disgusted by the nba lately.
    Am I supposed to feel guilty if I make a critisism and want my team's players to play? :rolleyes:
    wtf is up with that.

Of course it will matter to the star players. First of all are they robots who live in a vaccuum?

Of the 15 rockes roster 9 players make less than 3 million dollars.
    You are telling me that Harden and Westbrook would dare not to show up to play when 9/15 of the team can DOUBLE their salary by playing 2 games more?
    Noone wants to be hated like that.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thank you. I agree with those guys, and they put it best.

Sure, shorten the season a few games, but don’t do it just so you can add games in the middle during what is traditionally a badly needed break for the players, just so the league can make even more money. Silver seems obsessed with “making his mark” (and more money for the league) by tinkering with it.

As I said earlier, if he wants to do something with a positive impact on the game, add a 4th official, possibly to do more on-site reviews of questionable calls, questionable plays. Improve the quality of the officials, and make them pay dearly when they screw up, often because of what appears to be bias that should not be tolerated. When the officials have clearly blown a call, for whatever reason, instead of ignoring it, take action to remedy an outcome that shouldn’t have played out the way it did, much to the anger of thousands of fans who begin to question the integrity of the game. Nothing should be more important than maintaining the integrity of the game, and that includes the bottom line of the league. Gimmicks are not needed, in my opinion.

da_juice and Easy like this.
  4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

You know Harden is playing in any tournament. Westbrook as well. These dudes play for free in the summer multiple times. I’m excited.

malakas likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Yup. Any star worth their salt will compete and want to win. Otherwise they lack competitiveness and they will destroy the chemistry of their team 100%.

Imagine if you were a manager in your office working with 15 other people, the vast majority of whom were paid the minimum wage.
    If you stayed two days to work overtime they could get a bonus double their YEARLY salary.
    But you say oh no I'm okay I already have a fat salary I don't care about you all. A two days overtime is too much troube and my time is too precious.
    The next day you would probably find your car's tires slashed.

BigShasta likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Tilman right now:
    [​IMG]

Harden gonna be out there with a broken leg trying to get Tilman his money.

Kim, RKREBORN and ThatBoyNick like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The tournament idea could work if the NBA used the World Baseball Classic as a model. Do it every offseason, and there are many different options for choosing teams (nations, continents or let top NBA players pick their own 3-on-3 teams). However, the idea of having it during the middle of the NBA season is not wise, nor is it necessary.

Also, why does there need to be play in games for the final playoff spots in each conference, unless there are multiple teams tied for one spot, and they have the same record in head-to-head matchups. It’s not like they play vastly different schedules.

Finally, if you want to re-seed after every playoff round, I’m all for it. However, at that point you might as well take the top 16 teams and eliminate conferences and divisions.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Adam Silver, Rob Manfred & Roger Goodell gather in a room, discuss amongst themselves who can screw up their sport the most.

Roger: Yeah, we're thinking of expanding the playoffs by two teams (one in each conference), adding one more regular season game & reducing the preseason by one.

Adam: That's cool Rog. We're gonna add a meaningless midseason tournament, a play-in tournament for the final two playoff spots, change game time/style for this meaningless midseason tournament.

Rob: Awesome guys but hold my beer. We're gonna expand the playoffs by two teams (seven total in each league), teams get to pick their opponents AND we're gonna televise it!

NBA Considering 40-Minute Games, Target Score Ending For Potential Midseason Tournament

A midseason tournament and a separate play-in tournament for the final two playoff spots in each conference remain high on the NBA's wish list, the NBA's president of league operations Byron Spruell told Zach Lowe of ESPN.

There is still hope that both could be added in time for the 2021-22 season, and that the league would want to add both at the same time.

Under the current proposal, a midseason tournament would take place between Christmas and the week of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Pool play games would be scheduled alongside regular-season games. The top-eight teams based on pool play would then meet in a single-elimination tournament.

There is also discussion of using 40-minute games for the elimination portion of the tournament, as well as an Elam Ending-style target score during elimination games.

"We were already looking at 40-minute games to make those games look a little different," Spruell said. "So here again [the target score] is something we would consider."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28739732/nba-likely-use-target-score-again-next-year-all-star-game

11. JW86

JW86 Member

All silly things to distract from real change, this is not innovation, this is just gimmicks.

Deckard, saleem and fallenphoenix like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't like it. I'll be joining all the old men in shaking my fist if this thing comes into fruition.

Deckard, saleem and FrontRunner like this.
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's not enough NBA watchers in your demo. They're trying to solve the problem of young people tuning out during the regular season.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Target score in the Playoffs.....yay!

Harden as Small ball Center.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What age range do you consider young people? Just curious to see if I am about to feel old or not lol.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

24 and under. I'm old, but I think they're going after the Tik Tok/ YouTube/ IG/ Snapchat demo.

Sajan and tinman like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

The play in scenarios made sense for the bubble and those circumstances/situation but doesn't make sense outside of that. once the seasons get back to the norm, they should definitely do away with it.

Reeko and Rocket River like this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

PJ Tucker was asked about this a long time ago.

We Play for NBA Championships.

What is a Midseason Championship. A Second Place Trophy. A Fantasy League.

Ratings Money Grab Opportunity, same with All Star Team Pick Em.