1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Mike Brown wins coach of the year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by the_hustler, Apr 20, 2009.

1. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4083787

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[rquoter]Brown received 55 first-place votes and earned 355 total points from a panel of 122 sports writers and broadcasters. Houston's Rick Adelman finished second with 151 points and Orlando's Stan Van Gundy was third with 150.[/rquoter]

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Bull****. Adelman got robbed.

4. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

whoa..

anyway.. i think ricky or stan van deserves it more than brown.

5. TheBigAristotle

How? Brown is an absolute idiot with Lebron doing ALL of the work. What coaching is he doing?

6. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Are you really that naive?

7. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Well deserved IMO. Though Adelman should have gotten more points. I thought it would be close.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you have Bron on your team how are you coach of the year?

They racked up all those wins in the east, this is a fraud. It is just the best team award, congrats you have team with a good record but since you do not have 9 titles like Phil we will give you this.

They should give this to guys that actually had to try and coach and are young.

9. NafeesLACC

NafeesLACC Member

No Problem with the choice, at least Sloan didn't get it, that would have bee horrific.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If lebron is struggling that team loses. Lebron creates a lot of their offense. Mo Williams is good too, but Mike Brown is not a great coach.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Scotty Brooks got robbed!!!!1

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

it's dumb to question this choice. There's no way you know how much or how little Mike Brown's influence helped that team.

He helped guide a team to an incredible regular season--esp. at home. Having the best player in the league shouldn't automatically disqualify you. Let's give Brown some credit for helping Lebron do what he did this season (and last)...

why did Phil Jackson get credit for being a great coach then? Michael Jordan is Michael Jordan.. he was going to mature no matter what.

RudyT was nothing...he just said "throw it to Hakeem". Hakeem did everything.

Right? :rolleyes:

well-deserved

13. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I've always been critical of Brown's offensive X's and O's, but the Cavs have been one of the better defensive and rebounding teams since he arrived (and that's through multiple roster changes).

It's questionable whether Lebron would've improved his defense this much in this point of his career if he wasn't on a team that predicated itself on defense.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It was well deserved for Mike Brown. That team was chasing history for almost 70 wins and one of the best home marks in NBA history. Yes, LeBron was the anchor of the team, but the coach has a lot to do with it also.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I like the selection. He has done a good job in Cleveland. Sure Lebron is the one doing all the work on the court, but Brown has been there helping mold this team the whole time. He has done a great job in getting that team including Lebron to play good defense this year, which is why they have taken the next step. Cleveland is a very good defensive team in large part due to Mike Brown.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

very good point also

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm glad to see Adelman get some love but it's pretty obvious Mike Brown deserved it and was going to win it.

18. Saado

Saado Member

Some of you aren't giving Mike Brown his due. He has always had a great defense even without great defensive players to begin with. This year, he realized his offensive deficiencies and allowed the team to hire basically an offensive coordinator. How many coaches do you know who would put aside their ego like that? If you ask me, that's something incredibly rare and he deserves credit for the progress Cleveland has made.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have ripped Mike Brown the last 3 seasons because of his pathetic coaching on offense, but he has raised his game this year. Mo Williams is part of it but not all of it. The way he gets his guys to put out on defense has always been exceptional.

I don't have a problem with the choice. It's good to see a coach mature and improve over time. I admit to being dead wrong the Cavs should have fired him. In fact, Mike Brown is one reason I don't think LeBron will go to the Knicks because I don't think LeBron respects D'Antoni's non-focus on defense.

20. ibm

ibm Member

watch brown getting fired next year. :p