1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Marbury to finally be bought out by Knicks, join Celtics

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by n_naik1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. n_naik1

n_naik1 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3931801

"The New York Knicks and Stephon Marbury were nearing a buyout agreement Tuesday afternoon that would clear the way for Marbury to sign with the Boston Celtics, according to sources close to the situation.
    Sources briefed on the state of the talks told ESPN.com that the Knicks and Marbury are on the verge of finalizing a separation package that will make Marbury eligible to play in the playoffs for another team because his release from New York would come before the league's Sunday deadline.

The New York Times first reported on its Web site Tuesday afternoon that "all indications were that the two sides had reached agreement on a contract buyout that will free [Marbury] to join another franchise for the stretch run."

Said one source to ESPN.com: "Look for Steph to get bought out today."

Another source close to the process indicated that Marbury and the Celtics have already commenced discussions on a contract.

It's believed that Marbury will be forfeiting in excess of $2 million from his $20.8 million salary this season, which would net the Knicks twice that much because of the luxury-tax savings involved.

Marbury would then be in position to recoup roughly half of what he's surrendering in his buyout from the Celtics. As ESPN.com reported Jan. 1, Boston has been hoping to sign the wayward point guard to bolster its thin bench if Marbury -- who turned 32 last week -- could manage to extricate himself from the Knicks

Marbury hasn't played in an NBA regular-season game since Jan. 11 of last season, but the Celtics have been concerned about their depth all season after the offseason departures of James Posey and P.J. Brown. Boston has since lost star forward Kevin Garnett to a knee injury for the next two to three weeks and reserve swingman Tony Allen to a thumb injury expected to sideline him for eight weeks.

Earlier Tuesday, Boston signed center Mikki Moore, who was waived by Sacramento after last Thursday's trading deadline. The Celtics opened two roster spots last week by trading away veteran guard Sam Cassell and little-used center Patrick O'Bryant.

Last week, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported that multiple Celtics players had recently reached out to Marbury, urging him to forfeit some salary in his long-contentious negotiations with the Knicks to prove to skeptics that he could make an impact with a championship-caliber team."

2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Should be a hilarious situation when he gets to Boston.

At least I hope it is. And not something the rest of the league will have to worry about. :)

3. joesr

joesr Member

so he is getting 18.8 mil? what a jip, I'd ride his ass out all the way so he cant get any PT anywhere

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I hope Boston burns in flames when he joins their team

5. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

First things first how much can Boston even offer Marbury?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another "bandwagon" player. I know they're defending champs, but every player that gets released seems to go/want to sign there. It's a little ridiculous. And even with all these pickup players joining them, I dont have them repeating this year.

7. lalala902102001

Vet minimum I assume.

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Comprehend much?

He would get over $20 million if they never bought him out...and the Knicks save approximately $4 million by doing it this way.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I wonder what would happen if Boston changed its mind and decided not to sign him. He wouldn't be too happy.

10. FFz

FFz Member

Marbury could actually come out with more money if you factor in the playoff bonuses and if they go into the finals.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So what PR and damage control was done to get Marbury to the Celtics?

12. lalala902102001

And it could increase his chance of ever getting another contract in the NBA...

13. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

how does marbury make more money than Yao?

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Never underestimate the Marbury madness effect. Look for the Celts to implode and flameout. KG's already lost his mind in euphoric glee when they won last year. With Starbury coming over there they'll have 2 nutcases, and no team can really handle that. There's no way they'll win the ring now.

15. fmp087

fmp087 Member

I think one of two things will happen here:

1. Marbury joins Celtics and they implode.

2. Celtics will make another playoff push and face the Cavaliers in the eastern conference finals, and may very well be in the finals again.

I'm taking the latter.

16. Asian Sensation

Whens the last time this guy played basketball? It's not like he's coming back from a serious injury but it's not like he's had serious run in practice or anything with the Knicks. I'm gonna assume he's going to be rusty as hell.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This shows how little regard the Celts have for Sam Cassell. Marbury's chance of cracking the rotation isn't very good. Maybe he gets a few minutes at SG because of Tony Allen's injury and takes Gabe Pruitt's place.

18. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

This article concerning the release is in the Chronicle.

Link-->http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6279271.html

That first sentence of the last paragraph I highlighted in bold sure reminds me a lot of T-Mac, doesn't it?

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He is better than Cassell. He's also better than Eddie House on the offensive end, House does hustle on defense though he doesn't have physical ability. If Marbury commits on D he could become the primary backup, he is also in shape from playing out in LA so he should come back pretty quickly.

20. foodworld

foodworld Member

Cassell, last year, didn't have much time to even learn the Celtics plays. For the most part he wasn't very effective on the floor--EXCEPT as someone to put on the court during regular season games as a way of reducing Pierce and Allen's minutes. He's been a loser, and he quit on his team, but Marbury can play big minutes and score with the second unit. If he can't accept his role in this situation then his career is over.