1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Marbury to Celtics?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by the_hustler, Jan 1, 2009.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm doing my best not to get involved in any more Staph discussions, but if you think his situation is on D'antoni, how can explain his falling out with Isiah Thomas last season, the year before, and the fallout with Larry Brown the season prior? you might as well go back to D'antoni before that in Phoenix...

Every single one of his coaches has not only given up on him, they have taken him out of the rotation altogether or requested him to be traded.

unless you were hanging out with Staph this off-season (running in the mountains as he described), how can you speak on his behalf as someone who wants to turn over a new leaf and play hard.

the last NBA action he got, he quit on his team halfway through last season, taking elective surgery over playing through pain.

HE QUIT AND HASN'T PLAYED IN OVER A YEAR.

let the Celtics have him. of course, Staph must negotiate his own buyout without an agent before this all happens...

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I think Marbury will surprise a lot of people. D'Antoni made a mistake by refusing to play him.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

didnt marbury and garnett have issues from their minnesota days? i doubt he will take kindly to playing off the bench like that.

knowing marbury (from what he has shown from history) he would play for a team where he can log a lot of minutes and out up numbers

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was just thinking the same thing... maybe they're over it. Didn't Marbury say something about Stoudemire would be the best PF in the NBA and people took that as a diss toward KG? Maybe I'm mis-remembering...

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Mr. Clemens, when both were with the T-Wolves, Starbury was jealous when KG got his $20 million contract and couldn't play with him any longer. He openly admitted it later. He also took jabs at KG like the one you stated above. But supposedly KG is OK with him joining the Celts this year. One thing for sure is if Starbury isn't on his best behavior the Celts would cut him quickly. The worst case scenario is for him to join the team, behave well and play well, then flake out once they start depending on him. Once he gets comfortable on the team, Starbury might decide to become himself again.

6. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

It would be so wrong if he gets a ring in the end.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think his locker-room behavior would be any kind of problem. But, he's selfish on the court. That's why they shouldn't sign him.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it would be hilarious if he got a ring with garnett, the guy he didn't want share the spotlight with

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It would be incredible and the media would blow the story up to high heaven so much that we'd get sick of hearing about it. Then Starbury would deny the friction was really all that bad blah blah blah.

10. R0cketC1ty123

R0cketC1ty123 Member

MARBURY NEEDS TO JOIN THE LAKERS :D

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I dont think his New Jersey years are appreciated enough for its lack of performance. Marbury at NJ was at his scoring prime and going to All Star games. Perennial fan favorite. And the Nets were a .333 ball club his time there.
    The year before he arrived, the Nets were a 43-39 playoff team and had to face Michael Jordan's Bulls. Only real difference in that club was Sam Cassell was the point guard.

You can say his teams didnt have the strong identity for him to be kept in check. But you can definitely say he also prevented his teams from having that strong identity, like his jealousy with Garnett did. He should be the one making championship focus happen, not taking away from it.

Marbury had the ingredients for that with his 1st team in Garnett. Garnett and Cassell again with the Wolves kept the Sprewells of the world in check. And Garnett is proving to be the same in Boston keeping his team in line. I know its all been well documented already but man just looks worse for Marbury the more you choose to look into it.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They used a broken down Sam Cassell last year. Marbury can fill in the role of a score-first PG who runs the PnR decently and can hit the midrange shot. He can fill that role very well, actually.

13. adoo

adoo Member

.....then how about this

Rox to take Marbury and to give up Rafer Johnson + "Woe-is-me" Tracy + matching salaries

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Who the hell is Rafer Johnson?

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

of course the attention that Staph gets from this saga is exactly what he wants...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/...ton-will-be-his-next-destinati?urn=nba,131978

i don't understand, with the T-Mac situation, how anyone could want this guy on their team?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Vernon Maxwell and Isaiah Rider were both jettisoned by championship teams, immediately prior to the playoffs. Vernon was kicked off the team and Rider was not included in the playoff roster.

I wouldn't really call Payton with the Lakers and Antoine Walker with the Heat "knuckleheads" on the level of Marbury, Vernon and Rider...but nonetheless, they destroyed team chemistry when they arrived on championship teams. Payton couldn't accept a lessor role, and Walker just sucked winning-chemistry out of the building everywhere he played.

Dennis Rodman was the only "knucklehead" that helped a title team with a "pretty big role" that I remember, but that dude already had two rings, and had the help of Jordan to repair the championship image he lost with the Spurs...not like you can compare him to Marbury. Was Stephen Jackson considered a "knucklehead" when he helped with the 2nd ring for the Spurs?

So, by my count (and I'm sure there are more), chemistry destroyers on title teams hurt more than help.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^ do we even win a 2nd ring by continuing to give allow Vernon's "knucklehead" stuff and give hiim a "pretty big role" that was getting in Drexler's way?

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at this.

What's next? Michael Vick wants Brady's job?