1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/MacMahon] "Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta excited about future of the NBA franchise"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 12, 2021.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks for reading and sorry it ran so long, haha.

Definitely agree with you on all of this.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Houston isn't in a typical out/down long situation though with the worst owner LTS at the helm and his kid right in the front office making decisions. After the summer of melo started the downside of the rockets after the historical 17-18 season, it all went spiraling downhill and they continued to just get worse every season which was foreseen btw but as usual many didn't want to believe it. And eventually they would get to the point of being the worst team in the league. I remember people never wanting to believe the knicks would win more games than the rockets and here we are two years in a row that's happened.

And the discussion was specifically pointing out Tatum/Brown since both have been rookies in Boston

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I mean Les was cheap sometimes too (ie not letting hakeem retire a rocket/not paying Barkley etc) but yes, even he managed to keep the windows open longer, I think unless they redo the FO after that complete train wreck/fallout of the last FO, I don't have a lot of faith where it's at in the short term. I just don't think it's going to be a Knicks type situation on drought is what I meant.

I'm not a Tilman fan but he seems to want things to work sooner than later so hopefully he takes a back seat to a good FO, will that happen? it really depends, I mean maybe we get lucky then - yes, would I bet on it right now - probably not.

As a Houston fan it's definitely easier to be a pessimist, but if it's a dreary 20+ years with no hope it'll definitely be easier for me to just take a break, I mean going from 1 win away to the finals with Harden/Paul still stings, all the other things I mentioned still sting. Hell UH with Olajuwon still stings etc etc. Do I think the draft talks are always the deepest draft - No, haha - especially when you witnessed/have knowledge of the 84 draft 2003 draft etc. etc. I do think last year's draft could shape up to be great still, but at the same time - it's still too early to flat out close the book and say it's a bust or something.

Obviously the media has to call every draft deep, because if they didn't... They won't generate any interest. So I definitely agree with you on that. And I also agree with you on Tilman, and Bostons current upside. I was just meaning in sports nothing is a guarantee - well other than tilman being cheap, haha

I also agree with you on this not being a typical turnaround, Les did seem to have a crazy run though, will it be like that as fast, probably not, but I'd definitely want it/hope for it vs the alternative of watching a boring team

TimDuncanDonaut and YOLO like this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

True!

I guess even some of us hacks around here (at the time) suggested that unprotected picks in bulk (BKN has to fail at some time, right?) were a better option than Simmons and being late lottery every year...

Zen Tabak likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah… I mean there was very spirited debate here on the potential packages and nicely a majority seemed to prefer anything that didn’t involve Ben Simmons. Sure there was some b****ing when Jarret Allen turned out better than anticipated but many of us still and still today aren’t crying about that at all. He’s very solid. I guess his contract isn’t crazy. But that’s a last piece you add type thing not a first piece.

the main thing is… I’d probably be happy going to Bill Simmons for valid takes on the Celtics. And that’s it.

just as I woundnt expect my opinion in say the Grizzlies to be as knowledgeable as a true smart die hard fan.

that said I’d take MY takes over Bill Simmons on every other team. For one cause I think he’s a bit of a dunce. For two… I do t think he watches as much nba basketball as I do. Aside from the Celtics.

There’s a reason we know JG was a way better rookie than Herb Jones and Bill Simmons didnt.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Are they really in “mediocre town?”

peleincubus likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

now 2 wins away from the NBA championship