1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Lebron the GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Acedude, May 19, 2010.

1. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?page=lebron_week_lebron_as_GM_bucher

It has been widely speculated that Chicago would've been the most likely destination for Lebron outside of Ohio, but now it'll be interesting to see where he'll end up and the amount of personnel turnover that particular franchise will go through to make Lebron feel comfortable.

Still think he'll stay a Cav though.

2. drumbum

drumbum Member

Does anyone else find it kind of ridiculous that LeBron get's to make all of these executive decisions? It's one thing for him to coach the team on the court since he without a doubt has a pretty high basketball IQ, but to veto deals that the GM wants to make? That's just a whole different level.

I haven't liked him because of his attitude, but with every story like this, it makes me like him less and less because he wants everything and with that attitude, it's hard to actually have all that. MJ on the other hand didn't try to be like someone else he was who he was. LeBron is trying SO hard to be the next MJ and MORE and it's becoming more and more apparent.

3. mazyar

mazyar Member

I was talking basketball with my co-workers pretty much all of last week. And most of our talk was about Lebron. One interesting comment that my co-worker made was that Lebron is the Charles Barkely of this era. In that he is a great player but will never win a Championship.

I definiely see that as a possibility. If Lebron goes to another team for next season and would need to start from fresh with team chemistry and etc. then I would say that he may never win even one championship.

4. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

No I don't. They want whatever he wants so I think its just fine.

5. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Wow, your friend's psychic abilities are impressive.

Lebron does what anyone does when allowed to do something...they do it.

If you don't like Lebron attempting to control the shots...then simply say no, you're a player, do your job and yours only.

If he won't sign with you because of it, then oh well, obviously your priority is running the team as you see fit and you'll be better off without him.

But I expect lots of whining and b****ing from fans & media alike about Lebron this summer, because for some reason people take his actions so personally. Each time he says or does something someone out there takes it as a direct slight to them as a human being. It's amazing. Some of the Cavs fans reactions during that Boston series reminded me of the stuff that people paste together with random letters from magazines that you'd send to the house of someone you're obsessed with.

I can't imagine the reactions of the many butthurt fans there will be when Lebron doesn't sign with every single team out there (as each fanbase seems to think)

6. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

If you are a player in the same team as LBJ, what would you be thinking?
    Seriously, this is getting ridiculous.. I know some players like to ride superstars to get that elusive ring.. but considering all the drama and spotlight around what James does, how many pseudo-super stars would be willing to share the spotlight with him?

7. Raven

Raven Member

This is why I don't want him on the Rockets.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We wouldn't put up with the crap. We aren't riding his coattails like Cleveland, Mike Brown, Danny Ferry. He'd need the Rockets as much as we need him.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron has taken the cavs a lot farther then the rockets.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

From plugged in Cavs insiders, Ferry seeks out and proposes deals, but he does ask Lebron if he likes them or not and it's taken into consideration.

Let's face it. Cleveland is terrified if he leaves. As far as I know Ferry asks Lebron, not the other way around.

11. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i cant believe how many ppl are saying they dont want lebron cuz of this. results speak volumes. lbj wanted john lucas as his coach from the beginning. any organization that gave mike brown a head coaching job is just asking for failure.
    if he was on the rockets, RA would cater to his strengths. DM has more than proven his competency as GM. lebron would have no reason to want to dictate the team's moves. other than he may want AB gone for taking his shots away and failure on D, but (as much as i love AB) thats a small price to pay.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

To 3 rings? nope.

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

[​IMG] continues on ESPN.

14. The Bird

The Bird Member

you mean 2?

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Since lebron has come into the league the cavs have been more successful than the rockets. Does lebron deserve so much power? Prob not, but when you get a player like him you do what you can to make him stay.

16. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Unless the appeasement is to the detriment of the organization.

The point of making him happy is so that he could stay and win you some LOB trophies. It doesn't stop after the "stay" part, unless you are more interested in money than titles. Once he decides to poke his nose into the management field and arbitrate on acquiring the players in his favor instead of players that help the team the most, then the appeasement gesture is off.

17. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I think its hard to say they were more successful than Houston due to how weak the East is every year. I mean the year he got to the Finals, there were pretty much no good teams in the East.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

That's why he won't come here. He won't go anywhere that doesn't allow him to be the GM. That's why he will stay in Cleveland, continue to dance around and laugh when he has big leads in games, order bad personnel moves and keep losing in the playoffs.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Lebron is going to have a say on personnell maybe he should hire his own Daryl Morey and staff of stats guys.

20. trilethebest

trilethebest Member

Gotta keep in mind that these "accomplishments" are made in the weak east where having a losing record can still gurantee u a playoff berth