1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] LeBron James to the Rockets? Here's how it could happen this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jun 11, 2018.

1. izeroi

izeroi Member

No kidding!

It wouldn't even have shocked me if they made a "how can Memphis get lbj" and not one for the Rockets.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's nice to see someone in the national media get the idea of an opt-in and trade the way most seem to just not even think it. However I think he's underselling the Rockets picks at this point. I think with LeBron the Rockets have a championship window of 2-3 years at most. After that the Rockets would be really pushing the age issue (we're not exactly filled with young talent here). And LeBron may just leave.

A pick swap in year 4 and a 3rd 1st in year 5 would be huge asset for any team with long term view. Essentially it would be like the Brooklyn situation for two years. The other team could be looking at two lottery picks with top-3 upside. So if we assume 2019 1st and 2021 1st (both likely lower end) are dealt as a way to dump Anderson's salary, then Cleveland would be looking at 2 lottery picks at a time when they're likely back in the playoffs again. Which I think is enough to entice them.

Of course this means mortaging the Rockets future immensely, but you'd have to think that given Fertilla is a Rockets fan he'd make the trade off knowing we can have an extra 1-2 year longer rebuild due to this trade.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I mean, it’s LeBron, but Tucker fits this team perfectly. You need guys like Tucker to win championships imo. Gotta keep Tucker if you can.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

IIRC, we could “theoretically” trade for lebron without losing tucker or Gordon.

Ryan, nene, onuaku, zhou & Jackson (fully guaranteeing their contracts) would be just enough for lebron straight up.

That would be awesome to keep both players and would definitely make it worth trading 2 future 1sts which is something Morey has not done nor ever showed the willingness to do because it seriously restricts flexibility.

If Morey can find a 3rd team to take Ryan Las contract into space or with less expirings for a single 2019 1st would be key. Then Cleveland can get the 1st in 2021 along with minor contracts or expirings. Add cash (we have 5.1m available) and 2nds if need be.

Example

Houston out: Ryan/NeNe/Zhou/Onuaku/Jackson/2019 1st/ 2021 1st/2018 2nd/$5.1m
    Houston in: LeBron

Sacramento out: Koufos/Shumpert
    Sacramento in: Ryan/2019 1st/$5.1m

Cleveland out: LeBron
    Cleveland in: Koufos/Shump/NeNe/Zhou/Onuaku/Jackson/2021 1st/2018 2nd

Cleveland sheds about $10m from the luxury tax bill with 2 new expirings they could flip not to mention Love trades to help shed more salary and get under the tax. They prefer the 2021 1st because of possible future decline.

Red Chocolate, ghettocheeze and Deuce like this.
  5. aroundtheblock2

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You have to give to get.

-- local easy woman.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

EG is gone if Lebron is here.

Capela Tuck LBJ Harden CP3

Reserves:

Ariza back (lower MLE available?)
    Luc/Green/whoever the hell

JoeBarelyCares and hakeem94 like this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Jackson can't be traded until a little later in July FWIW and this hypothetical trade can't work because Cleveland can't reacquire Shump for a full year after trading him, but I get your point overall.

I still think your best bet is a team with straight up cap room that can afford Ryno and then the rest of that stuff goes to Cleveland.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Nothing has changed.

If LeBron James wants to be a Rocket, it will get done.

ghettocheeze, DonKnock, sammy and 4 others like this.
  10. bratna8

bratna8 Member

This.

Whether it be through and sign and deal or after July 1st. If he wants to be here, Morey will get it done.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. aroundtheblock2

A bunch of picks to Cleveland.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I think the most likely scenario is Anderson not being involved in a deal for James.

The Cavs are not going to want his contract, and the two firsts to take him are not going to be sufficient to cover the tax bill for Cleveland. I think ultimately Gordon, Tucker and others are sent out. The Cavs can then deal off pieces like Gordon and Tucker for additional draft picks.

One other long shot could be the Rockets targeting James AND Love, and in return dealing Anderson, Gordon, Tucker and others along with a substantial number of draft picks. I haven't had an opportunity to look at the exact numbers, but Anderson makes less than Love. If the Cavs decide that Love has limited trade value, and they get additional assets, from the Rockets it isn't that impossible.

Of course the Rockets would be completely hamstrung but (and I haven't spent the time to check it all out) would have: James, Harden, Paul, Love all available.

13. ths balla

ths balla Member

Philly get Love/Anderson
    Rockets get Lebron
    Cleveland gets Fultz/Picks/Cap relief
    ...Thoughts??

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the most likely scenario is Anderson being flipped to a 3rd team for the 2 first round picks as part of the Lebron trade.

15. justtxyank

Would be a little surprising to me if they deal Tucker. He and Paul are really close is my understanding and he took less money to come here.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. BigMaloe

Yeah I thought as much regarding shumpert and about Jackson yeah I know you have to wait a little while but you can agree and just wait to consummate the trade since it will be done during the 18-19 season.

I agree about straight into cap space but that’s gonna be a much tougher road as their will likely be multiple teams trying to dump into space.

Another example is Ryan for tyson chandler straight up, sending a 1st and cash to Phoenix.

Tyson goes to Cleveland with all the minor contracts and agrees to a buyout.

That seems to be plausible especially if Phoenix takes ayton.

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. BigMaloe

Not to mention him and Harden seem super close.

I think tuck is a lock to stay. I imagine ego goes before tuck.

hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. The biggest hurdle is convincing LeBron to come to Houston. All of the other logistics, as hard as they are, will get done.

Can Morey/Tilman along with CP/Harden convince LeBron?

And what is Harden's relationship with LeBron? Is there any?

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. justtxyank

Maybe, I'm still just not sure that any of these teams will want to take Ryno. If I'm Phoenix I probably think I can be a player in NEXT year's free agency. Do I want to lock myself out of it for it a bad first round pick? If it was just one year, no problem, but two years is a complicating factor. Even a rebuilding team like PHX will have pause. I think it has to be a team with no prospects for the next few years.

hakeem94 and BigMaloe like this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

LBJ to Houston would kill Brian Windhorst. If he had to move/travel to H-Town to cover LBJ, the food, restaurants, and prices would straight up end him. Wouldn't make it to the end of the season :(