1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Momma, there goes that man.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Hand down, man down.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

Why the **** would you hire a guy who's voice is just not made for the booth?! He's hoarse AF! Mark Jackson out is good news, but Doc Rivers is much much worse.

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

So they're promoting Doris Burke (yuck) and hiring Doc Rivers (lame), then firing a huge part of their NBA crew. Money must be really tight at ESPN/Disney....

They should just sell their NBA rights to NBC and start fresh with Pickleball...

jelanit, BigShasta, DreamR and 5 others like this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

disney gets low scores in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion by promoting white male boris durke over black plus size male mark jackson

9. ExTexanNowEastCoast

ESPN overspent on college sports broadcasting that no one is watching.

Add to this Disney money woes with underwhelming financial impact of Star Wars acquisition (thanks Kathleen Kennedy)

Equals firing on air talent.

Some of these people were not good; not a fan of JVG in most anything. However, when he was working with Jackson and Breen, I thought they made a good team.

Not sure about Burke, but willing to give her a chance. Doc was good on TV when he did it. He will be fine. All broadcasts want a former coach and former player. Actually that is what ESPN is missing. I would not be surprised if Breen is pushed out for a former player. My money is on Jay Williams or Reddick. ESPN loves former Duke players.

raining threes likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

ESPN jumped the Shark about 5-10 years ago. Disney is jumping.... something right now. These won't be the last changes we see over the next couple of years.

It's weird that a brand synonymous with escapism, fantasy, and everyman appeal wants to be so mired in reality TV sports talk shows, zeitgeist themes and conspicuous quotas. The wrong person is driving the bus right now.

#30 napalm06, Jul 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You best believe I will be watching the Finals in silence if it's f*cking Doris Burke commentating every game.

12. raining threes

The Chinese own Disney.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

What is ESPN doing? Doris Burke SUCKS, and Doc is an idiot whose voice needs an oil change

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Streets saying Disney plus has lost Disney so much dough, they have had to recoup those losses from everywhere else.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Net positive imho. That bum no longer works as a broadcaster and Doc Rivers is not coaching. Idgaf about Doris Burke cuz I only watch the Rockets and whatever games TNT is showing.

juanm34 likes this.
  16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Van Gundy got annoying. He was simultaneously trying to be himself and a stooge for ESPN. Mark Jackson was okay, but he probably needs Van Gundy. They had good chemistry. I'll give Rivers and Burke a chance.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

Van Gundy did get annoying, he was doing his own thing, but at least it was entertaining, but his forced discussions about trivial stuff and suggesting completely ridiculous rules and doubling down on it when nobody agreed was getting tiresome. It did make sure we didn't have to hear Mark Jackson, who's voice literally ruined the 22 game winning streak game.

I really hope NBA sees the mess Disney is in and does not even try to negotiate with them, but I have a feeling there will be some shady things going on or are already established to keep the NBA with ESPN regardless. It has built too big of a partnership to let go of. But man, give me anything else to save us from mediocre commentary and horrendous analysis. ESPN will have that regardless, but at least it won't be on my screen right before, during or after a match.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

^ Doris and Doc are likely cheaper

19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Doris Burke sucks.

BigShasta and pippendagimp like this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

"Glen Davis. Getting the rebound and putting it in. Hey there momma. Little baby is all grown up. No more diapers. No more late night feedings. Your baby is working full time. College degree. Out on his own. Gainfully employed. Passing, dribbling, shooting the ball. Climbing the corporate ladder. Breaking the glass ceiling. Paid vacation? I don't think so. Severance package? No thank you, I like what I do. I enjoy getting out of bed in the morning. Jimmy cracked corn, and I don't care Jeff Van Gundy. Celtics by 5."

Jontro and J.R. like this.