1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Knicks hoping Rondo will force a trade to NY, then hopes to sign max guy in '15

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That Jared Jeffries for TMac's expiring contract deal was cursed.

Jordan Hill was never good in Houston, the pick swap didn't materialize and the future 1st round pick turned out to be Royce White.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I said Melo is the only elite level name player to ever force his way to NYC. He is from NY and that is where he wanted to go back to. Melo is the only one that I know of. Do you know of another? Do you know of a player not from NYC that forced his way onto the Knicks? Maybe I'm overlooking someone.

Tyson Chandler is a terrific Defensive Center but he is several notches below what the true elite players are. Dallas would not give him a big contract after Championship run, he has been hurt most of his career, he has little to know offense, etc. Chandler is an exceptional role player but still a role player. Asik is comparable to Chandler. By the way, I'm a Tyson Chandler fan but he is not close to the level of LeBron, Amare, D12, DWade, JHarden, etc...

Phoenix refused to offer Amare a max contract:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...e-contract-new-york-knicks-was-necessary-evil
    STAT's bad contract a necessary evil
    Amare Stoudemire and the New Yorks Knicks agree on five-year, $100 million deal
    http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/07/...at-to-join-the-new-york-knicks/#ixzz2om7J2j00
    Phoenix was only willing to offer 2 guaranteed years to Amare, that's why he went to NYK.

3. crash5179

That's what makes it so pathetic, they really, really believe their own crap. NY has never been NBA Royalty like the East Coast Media tries to portray them, never. They have only been to the finals 5 times in their history by my count and only won twice. Houston has been 4 times winning 2 times and once over NYK. The only NBA Royalty is LAL on Boston period.

I don't doubt there are good reasons and things about NYC that would attract players, but at the end of the day Superstars prefer other Superstars over playing in NYC. Players are not lining up to force their way to the Knicks and they are not counting the days to free agency so they can run to the Knicks. It has only happened once and that was with hometown hero Carmelo.

4. crash5179

Really oh great one educate us all on your knowledge of those situations.

1st Houston rejected a trade for Amare at the trade deadline that year that centered on Luis Scola because they would not do it with out a physical. Houston had no off season discussions with Amare. Yep, Houston through out all the stops to get Amare. Your an F'n genius with that claim, Sam The Tin Pot Yokel Fisher.

Larry Johnson was actually traded to the Knicks for Anthony Mason and Brad Lohous in 96. He was not a free agent signing. You might recall Anthony Mason, he was a pretty damn good player himself and no LJ did not force Charlotte to trade him. Charlotte traded him to get out from under the remaining 9 guaranteed years on his contract worth 67 million dollars. That and Charlotte was cleaning house after they traded Alonzo Morning the year before. You might recall that the Knicks got 9 years worth of guaranteed back problems from LJ and not much more. Well that was embarrassing for you Sammy boy.

Really, your going to put 2 time all-star in the class as elite? Allen Houston who did not even make his first all-star game until 4 years after he signed with the Knicks? Really? And you called me a Tin Cup Yokel? That is your proof that the Knicks organization is a hot bed for Elite NBA Free Agents? Oh Dear :roll eyes:

The Knicks ended up with Melo because he is from NYC and they ended up with Amare because the Suns would only guarantee him 2 years (not exactly a real max contract is it) while the Knicks gave him a 5 year fully guaranteed contract. So that's why the Knicks ended up with Anthony and Amare.

Lebron listened because the Knicks had enough cap room to sign multiple max free agents. Oh by the way, that's the same reason Lebron listened to the Bulls, Cavs, Nets and oh by the way, the Clippers. Maybe his free agent conversations with the Knicks were not so exclusive after all.

People really do like to go to NYC, even I have had a great time when I have gone there. That doesn't mean the Knicks are a highly desired franchise to go to. There is zero proof to support that. There is tons of proof to support the Lakers as being a desired destination but zero for the Knicks. At the end of the day Superstars want to play with other Superstars which is why Lebron chose Miami and which is why D12, TMac, Barkly and Pippen all forced their way to Houston via trade or chose Houston in fee agency and not the Knicks.

#64 crash5179, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Knicks are not a highly desirable franchise to go to because they have been run idiotically. I've only posted this about 16 times. Nobody is arguing otherwise other than your imaginary foil, Cletus. Lay off the meth.

They still manage in spite of themselves to pique interest - because its NYC.

This isn't hard to fathom, and one doesn't have to invent a fabrication about amare stoudemire being from New York to explain it. (I see where you got this - his mother used to pick apples upstate according to wiki- so you just kind of assume that's "being from new york" - what subway stops in Saratoga, crash, the 6? ;) )

6. crash5179

Actually I meant Melo was from NY and that's why they got him not Amare. They got Amare because they were the only franchise stupid enough to guarantee him a max contract.

I agree that it's about the franchise, how it's run and who the other players are on the team. That is what I've been arguing. You tried to slam me because I claimed that and now you want to do a 180? Now who's on Meth.

How has the Subway in NYC helped the Knicks get high level free agents? Oh wait, millionaires and elite basketball players like Lebron don't ride the subway. Get off the crack bud it's not working for you.

Now if you want to actually show me the plethora of Elite Players kicking down the Knicks door to play for them just because they are in NYC then you might have an argument. Of course you can't find that list of free agents because you already tried to pass off Allen Houston from almost 2 decades ago as your proof that elite level NBA players are flocking to NYC to play for the Knicks.

Thanks for playing Sammy Boy, but until you come up with something concrete to back up your claim that the Knicks are a hot bed for elite level NBA players just because they are in NYC this conversation is over.

My argument has been and continues to be that Elite NBA players want to play with other Elite NBA players and the want to do it for max or very damn near max money. That will trump NYC damn near every time.

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Could you at the very least address the two different people that intelligently broke down your earlier contribution?

The summer of 1996 was the "fall back into Amar'e Stoudemire's uninsured contract"-offseason of the era. The only two players that have forced their way to New York since Kiki Vandeweghe's midseason trip to NYC have been Stephon Marbury and Carmelo Anthony -- players procured at great cost.

Dolan has only been pushing things since 2003 or so. The well-regarded Checketts ruled until 2001 and Pat Riley ran things before that. You can't really blame nearly a quarter of a century of players proving your "we really want to play in New York, badly" on Dolan's recent mismanagement.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Screw NY. They think they're good, when they suck. Fondest memory over the past 25 years is Hakeem stomping on their title chances.

9. SamFisher

Who did the Knicks strike out on in the 90s then?

Other than Shaq orchestrating his way to LA im trying to think of the big score they missed out on. Maybe Jason Kidd staying in NJ? Though I guess that was in the Knicks wilderness years part 1.

I don't really remember a lot of a listers changing teams back then, the Knicks big makeover was the Houston-Johnson- Chris Child's summer and I guess Camby.

10. SamFisher

*sigh*

Watch duck dynasty?

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Knicks are terrible..

This is funny;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hB2jNeE6tg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Woodson's beard looks glued on.

13. StandontheLake

I hope to save Warren Buffet's life.

But I don't base my future financial plans on the possibility. Do they have any reason to believe Rondo would do this, other than Dolan's fevered imagination?

14. crash5179

If you listen to Sam(Tin Cup Yokel)Fisher, Rondo is trying his best to force a trade to NYC because of the city's great subway system.

15. SamFisher

This is a good point - the existence of a mass transit system does a great deal towards making a city more livable/desirable - in enabling an accessible core, it tends to generate clusters of creativity and industry that feeds off itself.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

hoping- what the Knicks have been hanging their hat on for almost the last decade and a half.

17. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Knicks' defense is horribly broken. <a href="https://twitter.com/MikePradaSBN">@MikePradaSBN</a> has pictures to prove it: <a href="http://t.co/9JIomkox9H">http://t.co/9JIomkox9H</a> <a href="http://t.co/ODX749cE0f">pic.twitter.com/ODX749cE0f</a></p>&mdash; SB Nation (@sbnation) <a href="https://twitter.com/sbnation/statuses/417743821993029632">December 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Making room for Rondo ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Knicks have waived Chris Smith <a href="http://t.co/cSckbf1AJ4">http://t.co/cSckbf1AJ4</a></p>&mdash; Seth Rosenthal (@seth_rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/seth_rosenthal/statuses/417742287762759680">December 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Sanity2disChaos

Sounds like a train w**** to me:eek:DO NOT RIDE....