1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Kings exploring relocation to Anaheim

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 20, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kings consider relocation

[rquoter]The Sacramento Kings are seriously exploring the possibility of applying to the NBA by the league's March 1 deadline for relocation to Anaheim for next season, according to sources with knowledge of the team's thinking.[/rquoter]

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Sacramento fans are loyal but they need a decent team to get behind.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Moving the Kings would be a shame. Sacramento supports their team. When the Arco Arena (or whatever they are calling it now) is packed and the Kings are good, that might be the loudest arena in the league.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Yeah, Sacramento's fans are excellent.

Moving the Kings to Anaheim might be good in the short term, but after those realize that their team sucks, I doubt they'll even come close to being as loyal as the Sacramento fans are.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

3 teams in Greater Los Angeles?

6. Apps

Apps Member

God damn it... first the Angels change their city title to Los Angeles, and now there is the prospect of Anaheim getting a team named the Kings, which directly encroaches on another L.A. team yet again?

I hate Anaheim.

7. devilsdandruff

aren't they moving to Las Vegas.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Maloof also reiterated comments he's made to the Sacramento Bee newspaper about the Kings being approached by "many cities" besides Anaheim.

But sources close to the situation say, with no NBA-ready arena for the Kings to move into in the Maloofs' home base of Las Vegas, that Anaheim holds the greatest appeal to the Kings.[/rquoter]

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

They're probably going to have to drop 60 million in total to the Lakers and Clippers for being in Anaheim.

The Los Angeles Kings. How does that sound? Confusing?

Why not try the Bay Area, like San Jose or something. I doubt they can get a public financed stadium out in a place like San Francisco.

10. worzel gummidge

We keep on hearing about Aaron Brooks's big pay day from the Kings. Is that still on?

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/08/3308577/report-maloofs-struggle-to-keep.html

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Maybe

Rocket River

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I've always had a positive opinion of the Maloof Bros. But the SAC Kings have a current 2010-11 payroll of only $44m. And there are far fewer empty seats than what I see in the arenas of other Lottery bound teams.

I wouldn't need much to stop my string of NBA League Pass seasons at 12. This and the current CBA wrangling has just about sealed the deal.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

As if the Lakers need more home games.

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I swear, if people repeat the same thing enough, the masses will begin to believe it, regardless of whether or not it's true.

NBA Attendance Rankings

2010-2011

2009-2010

2008-2009

2007-2008

Wow, big whoop, they sold out their relatively small arena when they were contending for conference titles every year.

15. lalala902102001

I can see it coming -- the Los Angeles Kings of Anaheim.

Ouch.

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I think they should move to Louisville ;) I would get season tickets just so I could see the Rockets and the other teams with former UK players on them.

The Kentucky Kings! ;)

17. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

LOL...SacTown fans are no different than Memphis fans. They don't want to see a crap team either.

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

They could play in San Jose's HP Pavilion, forming an instant cross-bay rivalry with GSW in Oakland while still being a few hours drive close enough to Sacramento to hold onto their fan base there ...but that's a +20 year old arena that will soon need to be replaced, a la where they are now, Arco Arena.

Honda Center is in the same boat as it's nearly the same age as HP Pavillion and not much younger than Arco is now ....and with the Southland sports scene already so saturated, this makes now sense when a city like Kansas City has a brand-spanking new arena, Sprint Center, that has NO tenants.

And if the nearly 20-Year old Honda Center is seriously being considered, the Seattle and Key Arena should be too, since it was just renovated in 1996. Heck, maybe even GM Place in Vancouver too.

19. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

On the Simmons podcast, David Stern mentioned Kansas City as a possible future location for a team, I think.

Just move them back.

:grin:

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So what is it about the bulls that keeps them ranked at the top year after year? Can't just be history.