1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] JVG at Mike James house

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slowmustang, Jul 1, 2006.

1. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Here is a very interesting blurb from ESPN:

The maiden report of face-to-face wooing on Stein Line radar: Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy, according to team sources, was on the doorstep of Mike James' Houston home to speak with the free-agent point guard at the first opportunity: 11:01 p.m. Texas time Friday.

The Rockets want to bring back the chatty point guard they banished to Toronto on the first day of training camp in October in a trade for Rafer Alston. And I suspect James is thrilled, given that Houston remains his off-season base and remembering how he told ESPN.com in March -- several months into his breakout season -- that he never stopped thinking about the Rockets because "I thought I would be doing this for Houston."

Van Gundy knows, though, that the Rockets will face a fair bit of competition for the 31-year-old. Dallas coach Avery Johnson is another big fan of James' confidence and toughness and is said to like the idea of playing James and Jason Terry together. Potential stumbling blocks for the Mavs: James wants a five-year deal and Dallas prefers a three-year arrangement ... and the Raptors have apparently rebuffed a sign-and-trade offer from the Mavs featuring swingman Marquis Daniels.

Daniels is almost certain to be moved this off-season, but it remains to be seen if the Raps will attempt to get something back for James via sign-and-trade or simply let him go after Friday night's trade for James' replacement: Milwaukee's T.J. Ford.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2506375

2. Rockets Dynasty

1. The Rockets fans that think James would be coming off the bench are out of it on that one.

2. With that being said, I really don't see how James picks Dallas over Houston, based on what's the best fit for him, it's basically a no-brainer he goes with Houston.

If this report is true, he's locked up for the MLE, because Dallas looks weak compared to the Houston situation if you are in James' shoes.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

There you go. That pretty much tells me that James is our #1 offseason target. Now it's just time to see if any team with cap space will spring for James (doubtful), or if a team makes a decent sign and trade proposal for Toronto (possible).

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love it! JVG wants it bad enough to hit the pavement!

5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Cirle, circle.

6. Casper

Casper Member

Speaking of being at someone's house...get to Eddie House's house...STAT!!

If you want a shooter/scorer (granted...on the short side) then he's your man. Hell, just watch him play. If you're too busy focusing on Nash, Marion and the other Suns elite...just look at his per 48 minute stats.

During the whole D.A. "gotta ship him away" frame...this is the guy I was hoping we would swap for. No way the Suns were gonna part with him until her opted out of his player option...but it just happened moments ago. I've been waiting to see where House goes. Look at the team he was on and the playing time that he got...then take a look at the size of his previous contract...then think for a moment what kind of damage he could do on the right team.

I'm sure he's opting out because he wants to get paid and get more minutes...but if the price is right...he fits the bill. And then some.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not really surprised. If the Rockets and JVG want him back, then I want him back.

8. Rockets Dynasty

lol, for a second there I thought you meant Griffin's house.

9. GrapeJuices

GrapeJuices Contributing Member

Dang i really hope mike james comes back... with Gay being traded i am more than willing to gamble on Mike James.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hope Van Gundy groveled his a** off. We should have never let James go in the first place.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

As disappointed I was w/ the Gay-Battier trade, adding Mike James and Battier really gives us a good shot at competing in the WC.

The only question will be is the MLE be enough?

12. Chronz

Chronz Member

Van Gundy better have gotten on his knees to get the deal done, Its the least he could do for how he banished Mike James

13. Ryan Bowen MVP

So I guess we're hoping the Raptors let him go without wanting any trades? I could see them wanting Marquis Daniels. I'm not sure that they would want Alston back now that they have TJ Ford. Of course this all disturbingly similar to when Damon Stoudamire was raving about how he wants to play in Houston and works out here, then turns around and signs with the Grizzlies. Hopefully this plays out in Houston's favor.

14. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Bringing James back to rosters will be a bit surprise, but then again JVG and co. knows how desperate James to be home with his wife and how much he love playing for the Rocks! JVG, you got my blessing to bring him back, just to bail your ass out of that stunt you pull on the draft night! :eek:

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

wow that's awesome news. we pretty much knew james was a target but it's nice to see the rockets putting out the effort immediately. this caters right to mike james's personality.

i think getting him at the mle would be a heck of a steal. he's a legit third option, a good shooter, and a bulldog. adding him and battier would make this a great offseason regardless of what rudy gay does.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Alston isn't a fit anymore. It's a new lineup, new direction.

If a player doesn't have an oustanding skill out of 3P shooting, slashing, or lockdown defense. It's thanks, but bye now.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the thing with that was we only had the low level exception to offer stoudamire and that's a significant downgrade in salary compared to the mle and up. he probably would have come for the mle if we didn't give it to swift.

i don't think toronto has any say at what mike james does. they can help each other out in a potential sign and trade but if he wants to come here for the mle it's totally in his court.

18. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Do we want him bad enough to give him a 5 year contract like he wants?

19. akuma

akuma Member

does this mean that Battier is expected to start as the 4?

20. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Alston fits but he's not fit for more than 25 mins a game. He's a above average off the bench talent but he just can't keep his focus for anything over 25-30 mins. That's asking too much of him I think. Having James back would help out I think. I'm willing to make the gamble if James accepts the MLE. I'd like a rebounding guard but at this point I'd be happy with James.