1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Jamal Lewis sentenced to 4 months in prison after offseason

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Must be nice to earn your money and then go to prison.... :mad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1897106

ATLANTA -- Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis will be sentenced to four months in federal prison and two months in a halfway house after pleading guilty Thursday to a lesser charge in a federal drug conspiracy case.

Under the deal with prosecutors, Lewis would serve his sentence during the NFL offseason. But he could be suspended by the league.

"We will review the court documents from today's proceedings and announce a decision on league discipline as soon as possible, perhaps as early as [Friday]," said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

Even if Lewis is suspended by the league, he has five days to appeal, so he's likely to play in Sunday night's game against Washington.

Lewis pleaded guilty to using a cell phone to violate federal law by trying to set up a drug transaction more than four years ago. Under the plea agreement -- which includes 500 hours of community service -- drug conspiracy and attempted cocaine possession charges are expected to be dropped.

His trial had been scheduled to start Nov. 1. No immediate sentencing date was set.

"Jamal made a mistake when he was 20, over four years ago," Ravens president Dick Cass said. "He admitted today that he introduced two individuals for the purpose of facilitating a drug transaction. Contrary to some media reports, Jamal did not -- and did not attempt to -- buy, sell or possess drugs. He had no financial stake in any drug transaction.

"We will continue to support and believe in him. He has admitted his mistake and is prepared to move on. We are prepared to move on with him.

"We understand that Jamal is also subject to discipline by the NFL. We know that the commissioner will look thoroughly at all the circumstances surrounding Jamal's admission. We will accept whatever the commissioner decides."

Lewis was accused of helping broker a cocaine deal for co-defendant Angelo Jackson, a childhood friend, during conversations with a government informant in Atlanta during the summer of 2000. Charges against Jackson are still pending.

The FBI has said an informant contacted Lewis on his cell phone on June 23, 2000, to discuss selling cocaine to Lewis and Jackson. The FBI said Lewis and Jackson later met the informant at an Atlanta restaurant. Both conversations were taped.

Jackson and the informant met several times more over the next several weeks, but Lewis was not part of any of those conversations, court papers say.

According to Lewis' plea deal, he agreed to testify at Jackson's trial if called as a witness.

Lewis ran for 2,066 yards last season, the second-highest total in NFL history.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Doen'st effect Fantasy teams so it's okay =P

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

uh... he's facing suspension from the league for pleading guilty to a felony.

4. drapg

drapg Member

He'll miss a minimum of 4 games. :mad:

5. micah1j

micah1j Member

"Lewis pleaded guilty to using a cell phone to violate federal law by trying to set up a drug transaction more than four years ago."

So if he used a land line it would have been ok?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No way,

He was not under contract with ANY NFL team at the time.

I would find it hard to believe if he gets more than 2 at the most, and even that is questionable as he was not an employee at the time.

DD

7. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Member

I met him downtown during the super bowl weekend earlier in the year and dude was nice as anything. He stopped to sign my Mo Taylor bobble I just got from the ROckets game and he kept signing for everyone that stopped him to get an autugraph. It's a shame that he did something so stupid.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

No, that distinction is irrelevant for these purposes. Even when he's a free agent or whatever, he's still a member of the NFLPA and has to abide by the CBA negotiated by the NFLPA for its members. If you get convicted/plead guilty while you're a member of the NFLPA (and hence the NFL) you're in trouble with them.

I can't believe he can facilitate a sizable coke deal and commit a felony and a get a two game suspension while people who smoke weed like Ricky WIlliams get four game suspensions.

Absurd.

#8 SamFisher, Oct 8, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good to be rich

Rocket River

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm not sure, but using a cell phone made it an interstate transaction...thus a federal charge.

The rules are all weird, so I'm not sure if he used a land line or not if it would have been different.

11. m_cable

m_cable Member

Why'd you have him sign your mo taylor bobblehead. Isn't that like getting peyton manning to sign Yao's autobiography.

12. macalu

macalu Member

LOL, 4 months? what a joke.

what's not a joke? the madden curse.

13. wiws316

wiws316 Member

I thought ray lewis was on the cover??

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Bull****. He needs to serve his sentence now. If it was up to me, I would suspend him now and say that he cannot come back to the NFL until his sentence is complete.

15. macalu

macalu Member

oops, you're right. either way, they're all related. :)