1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: J.A. Adande on LeBron to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Simon Honeybone, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

So... Who was making more than Jordan when he was signing those $30million / year extensions?

2. rockets934life

I could be off base but if we let TMAC's contract expire+trade Shane along with a FEW MORE tweaks wouldn't we have enough to make it happen? I can see a lineup...

Yao/Andersen
    Scola/Landry
    Ariza/Budinger
    James/???
    Brooks/Lowry

That would be nice a Championship rotation BUT IT AIN'T HAPPENING LOL

3. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

The minimum number of player a team must have on roster is 12 players, so we will have to do something about the gaping hole left at PF position and backup PG.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

If we did that just to try and get LeBron that would be one idiotic move.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Wow @ saying you would rather have Bosh than LeBron.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

The Sign and Trade would be the other way. It would be Lebron agreeing to an extension and then Cleveland trading him to Houston for assets on our books. Ariza, Landry,Battier, and a couple draft picks. Battier is a piece Cleveland could push to a team like Portland next year for some more talent.

The problem with signing and trading our guys like Scola and Lowry to Cleveland is those guys have to WANT to go to Cleveland to make something like that happen. No free agent in their right mind is going to want to go to Cleveland and play when Lebron is walking out the door as they are walking in.

So, if Lebron leaves Cleveland, and that is a big if...., it will be for the destination of his choice. All he has to do to get to where he wants is to notify Cleveland he is opting out and wants to go elsewhere. The choice/decision is all in his court. The best that Cleveland can hope for if Lebron makes it clear he wants to go to a place like Houston is to accept a sign and trade. Their other choice is to let him walk for nothing. So, if Lebron wants to come here, the S&T that makes the most sense is him agreeing to an extension and being traded to Houston for equal salaries and some talent. So, a deal based around currently signed players such as Ariza, Battier, and Landry makes the most sense. Then we re-sign Lowry, re-sign Scola, and maybe even re-sign McGrady to a MLE type deal, that is if we haven't moved McGrady at the trade deadline for other assets.

If Lebron wants Houston, then obviously Morey would want Lebron and the deal would get done. And the whole thing has NOTHING to do with having cap space to get it done.

7. T_Man

T_Man Member

Basically, MJ said.. I want to be paid... Demanded it... So you are correct about the last 2 years.

But, how long and how many years did he win champions before he got paid like he should have been all along.

These other guys want all the money without any hardware... The only player that should be getting paid are Shaq, Kobe and Tim D... The ones that have the hardware to back up their worth.

Here's MJ money break down..

1984-85 - $550,000
    1985-86 - $630,000
    1986-87 - $737,500
    1987-88 - $845,000
    1988-89 - $2,000,000
    1989-90 - $2,250,000
    1990-91 - $2,500,000
    1991-92 - $3,250,000
    1992-93 - $4,000,000
    1993-94 - $4,000,000
    1994-95 - $3,850,000
    1995-96 - $3,850,000
    1996-97 - $30,140,000
    1997-98 - $33,140,000

8. LandryMegaBeast

dude.. he's pretty much godly already

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm surprised by the fact that no one has realized that the link provided by the OP has nothing to do with LeBron, its not even written by Adande, its Chris Sheridans article on Nate the Great.

Anyway, on topic, it would be a smart move on his part although I don't think he would turn NY or NJ down for Houston even with Yao being the big cash cow he is.

10. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Lebron is not coming to the rockets let it be known

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Lebron would only come here to play with the guys who would all have to be traded/released to make room for his salary.

No Scola. No Landry. No Lowry. No Battier.

So he would basically be coming to the team in the NBA with the least amount of talent. I doubt he's interested.

12. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

There's a better chance LeBron comes to Houston then T-Mac returning here next season. I hope T-mac picks a lottery team.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I agree you'd have to trade Battier and Luis for expirings and picks. The former is only going to fade with each passing year. The latter? Morey has a habit of finding the hidden Landry and the hidden Brooks in a draft.

I still say he goes to the Jay-Z/Brooklyn Nets.

14. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Your fantasy team is horrible

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why are we still debating about whether we have cap space to sign LeBron when we already have this thread for so long?

Now if both Yao and LeBron want to sign for an MLE type contract, then all bets are off. Dream on.

16. Depressio

Depressio Member

Look at #7 on the right.

17. Depressio

Depressio Member

It is intriguing, to say the least. Who is the biggest name in basketball throughout the world? It's Yao Ming, not LeBron James. I think you could appeal to LeBron in this fashion, and perhaps get him on an MLE contract for 1 year to test the waters.

Morey: LeBron, you've reached the peak in popularity in the United States. It's time to go global.

LeBron: How do I do that, Dork Cat Stevens?

Morey: Pair up with Yao Ming. The exposure in China will increase your devout fanbase 3-fold, making you a worldwide superstar along the lines of David Beckham. In the interim, we'll give you $5 million and you'll probably win a ring because our team of determine, scrappy players and 7'6" superstar.

LeBron: Yeah, this is an opportunity that no other team can give me. I realize this and will sign.

Possibility? 2%.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

:eek: Big time fail on my part. That's what I get for keeping the page minimized while trying to search for what he was looking at.

Thanks T.

19. Simon Honeybone

Uhh the daily dime is 10 points that are basketball related. Chris Sheridan did write the article for point 1 but he had nothing to do with the other 9 points least of which was #7 which was J.A. Adande's response to a fan asking about LeBron to Houston which was the only part of the daily dime relevant to Rockets fans.

What exactly is your grievance again? Does not compute.

20. Simon Honeybone

Oops see what I get for replying to a thread without reading the entire thing.

Damned adult onset ADD :grin: