1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: Trade targets: Can Dragic or Love make Rockets contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AnthonyJFranks, Jan 27, 2016.

1. AnthonyJFranks

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

The article is too long, but basically, yes. Yes, they can.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can't you add UK somewhere in the URL and it should work? I forget where.

4. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Give me all the reps

Houston Rockets

Record: 25-22
    7th in West

The Rockets have committed to turning around a season that began with high expectations yet started slowly, costing head coach Kevin McHale his job. As a result, their thinking is more short term than long term.

Nonetheless, contracts probably will be the driving factor in any possible Houston trade. Forwards Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas will be restricted free agents next summer, while center Dwight Howard can opt out of the final season of his contract in favor of unrestricted free agency. The Rockets might look to get value for Jones or Motiejunas before their favorable rookie contracts expire.

The other issue hanging over Houston is the hard cap to which the team is subject by virtue of using its full mid-level exception this summer to sign rookie Montrezl Harrell and re-sign restricted free agent K.J. McDaniels. The Rockets have only about $500,000 in wiggle room to add salary in trades.

Potential trade targets

Goran Dragic
    A second playmaker to go with James Harden remains Houston GM Daryl Morey's white whale. The Rockets hoped Ty Lawson would fill that role, but the offseason trade for Lawson has backfired because he has been ineffective both playing with Harden and as a lead ballhandler.

Though playing Dragic with Harden would create some of the same issues Dragic currently faces next to Dwyane Wade with the Miami Heat, his up-tempo style would be ideal for the team's second unit.

Markieff Morris
    The Rockets have been linked to Morris since he first asked to be traded by the Phoenix Suns last summer. Because of his poor season and continued poor relationship with the Suns organization, Morris' value has plummeted, and Houston might be able to buy low on him as a young power forward locked into a reasonable long-term contract.

Ryan Anderson
    Reuniting Anderson and Howard, who played well together with the Orlando Magic, would make sense if the Rockets see Anderson as more than just a rental. He'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer and stands to make a sizable raise on his current $8.5 million salary.

Kevin Love
    In the unlikely event the Cavaliers entertain the notion of trading Love because he doesn't fit well with Kyrie Irving and LeBron James, Houston would surely be near the top of the list of interested suitors. Love would be a strong fit with Harden and Howard and the Rockets could offer a number of athletic forwards in return.

James Harden is on one of the league's best contracts. Andrew Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images

Most trade value

1. James Harden
    As disappointing as his effort has been during the 2015-16 season, Harden is 26 and a year removed from finishing as the runner-up for MVP. His contract, which pays him less than $35 million over the next two seasons, is one of the league's best.

2. Clint Capela
    The development of the 21-year-old Capela, who has emerged as a starter next to Howard in his second NBA season, has been a bright spot for Houston. Capela will make less than $4 million over the next two seasons on his rookie contract.

3. Dwight Howard
    Even if the Rockets want to move Howard, as I suggested earlier this season, it's tough to find the right fit because he can become a free agent this summer. A Howard suitor would have to be convinced he'll re-sign to give enough value for Houston to consider a trade. As a result, the Rockets probably will hang on to Howard.

4. Trevor Ariza
    In the context of a rising cap, Ariza's contract looks eminently reasonable for a solid 3-and-D contributor who could fit in with nearly any team. He'll make barely more than $15 million over the next two seasons.

5. Terrence Jones
    Jones has seen his starting job usurped by Capela, and a disappointing season hasn't helped his value heading into restricted free agency next summer. Still, Jones is just 24, a talented scorer and has shown the ability to stretch the floor at times, so there will be interest.

6. Patrick Beverley
    Because he's not a strong playmaker, Beverley is a better fit for the Rockets than most teams. His injury history might also scare off strong offers despite a reasonable contract that pays him a little more than $16 million over the next three seasons.

7. Donatas Motiejunas
    Any team trading for Motiejunas will want to take a close look at his medical results after back surgery ended his 2014-15 campaign and kept him out the first month of this season. Lingering back pain has sidelined Motiejunas since New Year's Day, ruining his contract year.

Most valuable draft pick

2018 first-rounder
    Assuming Houston makes the playoffs, this year's first-round pick will go to Denver for Lawson. That would prevent the Rockets from trading a first-round pick until 2018 at the earliest. Since Houston should be competitive for the foreseeable future, there's little additional value in more distant picks.

Biggest wild card

Ty Lawson
    Quietly, Lawson has been more effective off the bench in January, making better than 35 percent of his 3-point attempts and shooting better than 50 percent overall. If the Rockets can get that kind of production from Lawson, they might yet be competitive with the West powers. Sam Amick reported Monday that Houston is unlikely to trade Lawson, which makes sense because his 2016-17 salary is non-guaranteed. The Rockets probably can do better simply waiving Lawson and using the resulting cap space than they can trading for a long-term contract now.

Toughest contract to trade

Corey Brewer
    Morey has steadfastly attempted to maintain flexibility and avoid bad contracts, which made the three-year, $23-plus million deal he gave the 29-year-old Brewer last summer an oddity. A key part of Houston's strong bench last season, Brewer hasn't been as energetic in 2015-16. Because he relies so heavily on his quickness and athleticism, Brewer might not age well as he hits his 30s.

30 people like this.
  5. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

The article did rate Clint Capela as a more valuable trade piece than Dwight Howard. So there's that.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If the Rockets really want Ryan Anderson, how is it possible that they've never been able to pull off trade to make it happen? I mean... It's Ryan Anderson. He's far from unattainable.

I'm starting to think that the guy isn't really on the radar.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

they would make the Rox more interesting for sure

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

My guess is that NO thought he would work well with AD and he has been injured the last few years.

9. eslate22

eslate22 Member

thanks buddy! repped

10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Ryan Anderson would be the biggest catch of everyone named. Gogi would be great too, but we don't have as glaring of a hole at pg with Pat and Terry, BUT Gogi isn't about to be a free agent either. Definitely looking forward to any potential trades, but I'm not holding my breath..

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

IB4 someone flips out about a "Certain Someone's" Trade Value being too high.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's just a bunch of conjecture. You can find similar posts on here.

I would like to get Love, but it's hard to find a workable trade that doesn't include Howard.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't know about Dragic. His contract is insane. Let him be Miami's problem. Lawson makes far less and his deal isn't guaranteed next season.

Anderson would be a great fit here, but what would he cost us? Would the Pelicans be willing to settle for a package including Brewer and either Jones or D-Mo?

Morris? Not interested.

Love? Really not interested. He makes too much and if he can't succeed with LeBron, what makes us think he'll do better here with Harden?

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am sure he is available at the right price, but the question then becomes whether that price is worth it to us.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I was going to ask if anyone could think of one. For some reason the trade machine never loads on my work computer.

Ariza, TJones, DMo, Brewer

Is that enough salary wise? Throw in our 2018 1st and 2nds as needed.

But this would obviously only be possible if the Cavs were selling very low. Very low. I'm sure someone else could beat this offer.

Bev/Lawson
    Harden/Thornton
    KJ/????
    Love/Smoove
    Dwight/Capela

Obviously the 3 would be our big weakspot (until we sign Duhrant!!!!!!!)

OK that 4 for 1 deal would work. Hooray.

KJ would be our only real 3. We'd otherwise have to go small (with Terry in the lineup) or very big (with Harrell in the lineup).

Curse Dekker and his injuries.

And curse anyone who s***s on my hypothetical trade just because it has no chance of ever happening.

#15 Haymitch, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

There's no point in Dragic it will be Lawson all over again. A traditional SG like Korver or Reddick is what is needed. One that runs around screens and hits 3s. Harden is the defacto PG since he doesn't do the aforementioned and just pounds the rock. Anytime your 2 is your playmaker like Wade or Harden a playmaking point guard just doesn't seem to work. I think this is what makes the Warriors so good is both Curry and Thompson move so well off the ball to get open for shots but Curry is the playmaker.

PF is what needs to be addressed. Thad Young or Ryan Anderson gets my vote.

17. ibm

ibm Member

i'd love mr. love on this team. he's not doing much on cavs team anyway.

18. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

Morey will be on Jim Rome today.
    650am, CBS Sports Radio on radio.com app

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lawson
    Harden
    Ariza
    Love
    Capela

Opponents avg ppg: 130

1 person likes this.
  20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I don't really want anyone on that list except Ryan Anderson... maybe Markieff if we can get him for a steal like we did with Lawson.