1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Todd McShay Mock 3.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FishBulb913, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I have been mentioning Boyd for awhile now. I just can't get a feel for where he might go in the draft.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This draft has a lot of good route runners with great hands as far as WR's go. The Texans can wait til the later rounds (4-6) and still get a pretty good reciever.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Boyd isn't exactly undersized.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Red mark on his record. Can the Texans org deal with him AND Strong on the team? LOL

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes he is. He's skinny.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

One made a mistake in college and the other made a mistake in the big leagues and getting paid millions lol

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The same knock on Kenny lawler another WR I like also. Being skinny shouldn't be a red flag in my opinion with strength and conditioning being different in the pros. Kevin Johnson was also considered skinny and look at how physical he plays the game. Give me a skinny WR who plays physical over a big WR who's a softee any day.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm a big fan of Da'runnya Wilson and not just because of his name. Also Jalin Marshall, Roger Lewis and Paul McRoberts are good late round picks.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like Wilson as well. Especially if he drops to the fourth or fifth.

10. Progs

Progs Member

I love Kessler, he throws s beautiful watchable ball. Not the biggest QB like Keenum or strongest arm, but he has a nice touch to it. I also love his accuracy at 68 percent.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's hands and then there's hands.

Boyd has monkey style shaolin kung-fu hands. He looks like he's trying to pop the ball when he gets it in his in his target zone.

I'm not saying the Texans should draft him - the Texans have some pressing needs that they maybe should address first, but he is in another realm from the general "good route runners with hands" guys. I mean, when you get down to it, Deandre Hopkins would best be described as a good route runner with great hands, but nobody sane would suggest passing on him with the plan of getting the same kind of guy in the 5th or 6th round. I've been watching a bunch of Boyd, and if you want hands that good, you aren't getting them in the 5th round.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Hadn't heard Boyd yet, just went and watched highlights.. what am i missing, this kid looks amazing. Anyone know if 40 time? what are the negatives, beautiful catches in traffic.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I hope we can draft him.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Boyd was great in college. Broke some of Fitzgerald's records.

I think, as a prospect, he's a lot like Hopkins. Not going to wow you much, but he's very consistent in attacking a contested ball. I think his route running is decent. He's not going to break a ton of tackles or run away from people, but he'll be a solid receiver.

I wouldn't mind taking him in the second, if he's there, but I worry he's going to be too similar a player to Hopkins to pair with him.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/tyler-boyd?id=2555466

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very average 40 time which combined with size is why he isn't a 1st rounder. Something like 4.5ish.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I would draft him in the 2nd and in the first I would go either O or D line. And I wouldn't think twice about it. With the major issue we had with drops from receivers last year it would be a major upgrade to draft some one who is sure handed like Boyd. Plus if he is similar to Hopkins having Hopkins and a WR that is similar to him is a problem I would like to have. And he has the same if not more competitiveness and fire. In a positive way.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

De'Joggya Wilson & his 4.8 40. :p

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i'm not saying it, scouts are saying it.

what i'm contesting is TJ's willingness to discard Fuller as an option so easily but has no issues with Coleman who also has similar issues with hands but also route running.

i think both have huge risks and i'm not sure I would take a WR in the 1st rd. mid to late rd 1 usually don't have that immediate impact. 2014 was the exceptino. what a crazy wr draft that was. regardless, i think we should take best available, impact now player.

if speed is what you're looking for you could snag Listenbee or Treadwell's teammate Cody Core. You could get either between 3rd-5th rounds and develop them.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not all drops are the same.

Hands drops because of physical limitations are a lot more concerning than concentration drops.

That said, Coleman isn't my number 1 player or WR despite his speed.

I like Doctson better than both of the speed guys by far, even though he isn't the burner the team wants. I also like Sterling Shepard better and would be fine grabbing him in the 2nd/3rd rounds and making him the slot receiver and hoping that some combination of improvement from Strong and health from Shorts handles the 2nd spot.