1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Todd McShay Mock 3.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FishBulb913, Mar 2, 2016.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

How could you assume Cliett is worthless, when he hasnt even played a down in the NFL?

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Youre right. We're gonna select Coley Coreman. Cause we do exactly the opposite of what that fat duck say.

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

McKinney was good in the 2nd half of last year and is currently a starter. Covington showed some nice flashes. Cliett got injured at the very beginning of camp, so you can't judge him based on nothing.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Client was injured, so I am going to wait to write him off completely.

OBie likes Keith Mumphery and has played him a lot on ST and as the backup to *all* of the receiver spots.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Cliett is not worthless. I saw him play a few games in Tampa (USF) - he seemed like a freak on the field. High motor.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

McKinney played much better towards the end of the season and finished 3rd on the team in combined tackles despite missing 2 games. Agree about Hilliard and Mumphrey but Cliett was injured. Covington was a 6th round pick coming out of Rice, not sure what we expected out of him year 1 but think he showed some flashes.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Cliett was hurt, shouldnt count against him. And Hilliard was a 7th rounder, did you expect him to come out starting?

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

you can take these predictions to the bank

1. ESPN/NFL Network will go to a commercial during Texan's pick
    2. A team will trade up to #21 and take Coleman/Doctson ahead of us

9. htown1984

htown1984 Member

seems about right...

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

ALWAYS a commercial during the Texans pick. Like clockwork. Every time!

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

or the pick is already announced on twitter 14 minutes before.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but I don't have a problem with that, I don't think it adds anything having to wait for the official announcement.

13. htown1984

htown1984 Member

why wouldnt the Texans consider Treadwell if he falls.. There saying he plays just like
    Hopkins.. Why not have 2 Hopkins, 1 on each side and can get a fast WR later in the draft.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Have Andre Johnson on one side and Larry Fitzgerald on the other.

15. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Kiper's final mock -
    1. Los Angeles Rams*
    Jared Goff, QB, California

He's the top available quarterback in the draft, and he goes to a franchise that needs to finally make it work at this position. I'd be extremely surprised if the former Cal QB isn't the pick.

Watch Goff's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Titans

2. Philadelphia Eagles*
    Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State

We haven't seen a quarterback from the FCS go this high, but Wentz has a skill set that many teams love, and Philly got into the right place to take him.

Watch Wentz's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Browns

3. San Diego Chargers
    Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

There is a lot of talk about whether this is the tackle that San Diego prefers, and also whether they could go for defense here. This is also a possible trade-up spot for a team that wants either the top running back or top offensive tackle. Prepare to be surprised.

Watch Tunsil's highlights

4. Dallas Cowboys
    Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

Dallas goes for the player it feels has star potential running behind that impressive offensive line. I'm not a huge fan of taking running backs this high, but I don't doubt Zeke can be a star.

Watch Elliott's highlights

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State

Ramsey could deal with some hiccups early on as a cornerback, but he is a tremendous talent who will help a defense that fell flat last year. Ramsey has star upside, no question.

Watch Ramsey's highlights

6. Baltimore Ravens
    Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

If Dallas passes on Bosa, I suspect the Ravens will be thrilled to see him here at No. 6. Mr. McShay thinks he's the best player in the draft, and he'd be a great value here.

Watch Bosa's highlights

7. San Francisco 49ers
    DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

This is simply too early to take a quarterback, and I think injury concerns will push Myles Jack beyond this point even though he's an obvious fit. They don't take Buckner because he's a former Oregon player, only because he's a great fit and a good value.

Watch Buckner's highlights

8. Cleveland Browns*
    Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

Disclaimer: I think there's a pretty good chance we see a trade here. If Bosa was here, I could see him. If Elliott was here, same story. I'll put Stanley here, and I think he'd be a useful player for them, but I don't know if it'll stay this way.

Watch Stanley's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Eagles

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

In a draft where there's no perfect pass-rush prospect, Floyd has been a popular name as a potential top-10 pick over the last week. I can also see them targeting a cornerback here.

Watch Floyd's highlights

10. New York Giants
    Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

The Giants get a much-needed starter at right tackle. I know Floyd has been in the discussion here, but in this scenario, he's off the board.

Watch Conklin's highlights

11. Chicago Bears
    Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

The Bears get a productive pass-rusher for a fast-improving unit. They did a great job solidifying the linebacking corps in free agency, and Lawson helps them on the edge.

Watch Lawson's highlights

12. New Orleans Saints
    Sheldon Rankins, DL, Louisville

He's been a popular player in this slot, and I'm not changing anything for the final mock. Rankins can be an impact player in this scheme and will see plenty of the field in Year 1.

Watch Rankins' highlights

13. Miami Dolphins*
    Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

He's off some boards because of concerns about his knee, but Jack can't fall too far. He'd be a great fit here. The Dolphins have a clear need and could jump for this pick.

Watch Jack's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Eagles

14. Oakland Raiders
    Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama

He's ready to play, so Ragland can come in as a starter for what should be an improved defense. Other possibilities: The Dolphins take a safety and Jack could be in play here.

Watch Ragland's highlights

15. Tennessee Titans*
    Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida

Another team we have to keep an eye on for trade discussions. But if they stay put, they get a solid cover corner, which they clearly need, given their current roster. Wide receiver is also in play here.

Watch Hargreaves' highlights | *Acquired in trade with Rams

16. Detroit Lions
    Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

The Lions get a tackle who can play right away on the right side and will challenge to be a long-term fix on the left side. Matthew Stafford got absolutely battered last season, particularly early on, and I think they should prioritize the O-line over wide receiver early.

Watch Decker's highlights

17. Atlanta Falcons
    Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State

I've heard the guy I have coming off the board at No. 20 linked here, but I'll go with Lee, who gives them a linebacker who can move like a safety.

Watch Lee's highlights

18. Indianapolis Colts
    Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

A potential immediate starter, Kelly is the best center in the draft and will be a great partner to Andrew Luck.

Watch Kelly's highlights

19. Buffalo Bills
    Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor

They need another talented weapon in the passing game, and this is a little early for the next pass-rusher I'd have coming off the board. I know the Bills need defense, but Coleman would also fill a clear need.

Watch Bills' highlights

20. New York Jets
    Keanu Neal, S, Florida

I also considered Neal at a couple of spots earlier on. He is great kid who you want in the building, and he's one of the more physical players in the draft.

Watch Neal's highlights

21. Washington Redskins
    A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

The Redskins continue to get more physical with the addition of Robinson, who helps solidify the defensive front. They worked on the lines last year and go back to the well this year.

Watch Robinson's highlights

22. Houston Texans
    Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Joseph is off the board before this point. He'd be a great fit here, and I think he comes in ready to start.

23. Minnesota Vikings
    Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

A potential dream scenario for the Vikings, who will be looking for the No. 2 option in that offense to go with Stefon Diggs. Treadwell lacks elite speed, but he's got pretty much everything else you want.

Watch Treadwell's highlights

24. Cincinnati Bengals
    Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

The Bengals took a hit in free agency and are now short another dynamic threat opposite A.J. Green. Doctson is a magician with the ball in the air, and he will be a favorite of Andy Dalton's.

Watch Doctson's highlights

25. Pittsburgh Steelers
    William Jackson III, CB, Houston

I'm not totally convinced the Steelers will go with a cornerback here, even though I see that as a clear need position. They could target a pass-rusher, but Jackson is a great value at this spot.

Watch Jackson's highlights

26. Seattle Seahawks
    T.J. Green, S, Clemson

He's listed at safety, but this is a guy who could come in and be a press corner, and he certainly fits the model for the players they like in the secondary. The former wide receiver has decent ball skills.

Watch Green's highlights

27. Green Bay Packers
    Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama

If Reed went much earlier, perhaps as high as No. 16 or No. 19 overall, it wouldn't surprise me. At this point, he's just a tremendous value.

Watch Reed's highlights

28. Kansas City Chiefs
    Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss

Someone has to roll the dice on the kid, and I think this is the kind of program that can help Nkemdiche become a star. He has extraordinary natural ability, he just needs to stay focused.

Watch Nkemdiche's highlights

29. Arizona Cardinals
    Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

Almost every team in this draft has "cornerback" listed among their top needs, and at this point Apple looks like a tremendous value. The Cardinals have dealt with injuries, and Apple is great insurance with the potential to be a star.

Watch Apple's highlights

30. Carolina Panthers
    Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

The Panthers need another pass-rusher, and Dodd was a big-time producer at Clemson. He needs to grow because much of his dominating tape came against some average blockers, but when you play with a lead, you can use these guys. He jumps into the rotation.

Watch Dodd's highlights

31. Denver Broncos
    Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

They might take a hard look at a quarterback here, but in the end I don't think John Elway and that room will be able to stomach the reach on value. Ifedi is a tackle they can kick inside. They need the help on the O-line.

16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

McShay's final mock -
    1. Los Angeles Rams*
    Jared Goff, QB, Cal

The choice here is between Goff and Carson Wentz. Everything I've been hearing since the Rams traded up from No. 15 is that Goff will be the pick. He's not a finished product, but Goff has the high-level work ethic and football IQ you look for in quarterbacks.

Watch Goff's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Titans

2. Philadelphia Eagles*
    Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
    Wentz comes with great intangibles and is a naturally accurate thrower. Pairing him with QB guru Doug Pederson would aid Wentz's steep learning curve as he transitions from the FCS.

Watch Wentz's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Browns

3. San Diego Chargers

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

This is a good time to remind everyone: I'm projecting what will happen, not what I would do if I ran each team. I'm hearing the Chargers have Stanley higher on their board than Ole Miss' Laremy Tunsil, so the Notre Dame product is the pick. Regardless of whom they take, the Chargers need to find a way to keep QB Philip Rivers upright.

Watch Stanley's highlights

4. Dallas Cowboys
    Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

Elliott is a true three-down RB who can start immediately behind Dallas' elite offensive line. He rushed for 3,699 yards and 41 TDs in his last two seasons at Ohio State.

Watch Elliott's highlights

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State

A very physical corner who also can play safety, Ramsey has elite cover skills and rare athleticism. The Jaguars need to continue to add difference-makers to their secondary.

Watch Ramsey's highlights

6. Baltimore Ravens
    Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi
    This would be a dream scenario for GM Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens, who need a left tackle of the future in the worst way. Tunsil's ceiling is sky high. He has the natural ability to play at a Pro Bowl level for a long time.

Watch Tunsil's highlights

7. San Francisco 49ers
    DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
    The 49ers are a little tough to figure out. Buckner would fit the best-player-available method of drafting -- at least according to my board. He's a great fit as a 5-technique DE in San Francisco's 3-4 and would bring toughness against the run.

Watch Buckner highlights

8. Cleveland Browns*

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

The Browns need a player who can come in and be a difference-maker from day one, and Bosa is that guy. His tape was consistently great throughout his final two seasons at Ohio State, and he plays with a relentlessness that can't be taught.

Watch Bosa's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Eagles

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
    As I've been saying for the past 10 days or so: Floyd is the hottest name in the draft. The last Tampa Bay edge rusher to record double-digit sacks was Simeon Rice in 2005. Floyd has a ton of upside in that area, given his elite first step and freakish athleticism.

Watch Floyd's highlights

10. New York Giants

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

The Giants do not have a long-term right tackle on the roster. Conklin would solve that problem. A former walk-on, Conklin is a powerful run-blocker who plays with the physical edge needed for a right tackle. Plug-and-play starter.

Watch Conklin's highlights

11. Chicago Bears
    Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
    Lawson, who led the FBS last season with 25.5 tackles for loss, is a highly effective run defender, playing with a good mixture of relentlessness, technique and discipline.

Watch Lawson's highlights

12. New Orleans Saints

Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville

I've mocked Rankins to the Saints quite a few times. They need to get stronger and quicker up front, and Rankins' versatile skill set would make an immediate impact in New Orleans.

Watch Rankins' highlights

13. Miami Dolphins*

Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida

Hargreaves has the best man-to-man cover skills in this draft, and while his stock has taken a bit of a hit because of his concerning measurables, I still think he can be a good starting outside CB in the NFL.

Watch Hargreaves' highlights | *Acquired in trade with Eagles

14. Oakland Raiders
    Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

A two-time team captain who comes with excellent overall makeup and football character, Joseph is the most complete true safety in this class. Joseph brings a physical presence to the position, discarding blocks well and showing savvy working through traffic.

Watch Joseph's highlights

15. Tennessee Titans*

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

With a boatload of picks from their trade with the Rams, Tennessee could consider moving back into the top 10 to snag one of the draft's top-three offensive tackles. But Decker would be a plug-and-play right tackle option. He's one of the steadier O-lineman you'll study on tape.

Watch Decker's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Rams

16. Detroit Lions
    Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA
    Jack is falling on some teams' boards because of questions surrounding his knee injury. If healthy, he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. Jack's athletic skill set would make Detroit better against both the run and pass.

Watch Jack's highlights

17. Atlanta Falcons
    Keanu Neal, S, Florida
    You'd have to think Atlanta also would consider Ohio State's Darron Lee here if the board fell this way, but Neal would give coach Dan Quinn the most physical player in this class and a safety who comes into the league ready to contribute right away. Neal has the skill set to play the Kam Chancellor role in Quinn's defense.

Watch Neal's highlights

18. Indianapolis Colts
    Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
    By any means necessary, the Colts need to leave this draft with a more solidified offensive line to protect QB Andrew Luck. Kelly has the frame, quickness and football intelligence to make an immediate impact wherever he ends up.

Watch Kelly's highlights

19. Buffalo Bills
    Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State
    The Bills got gashed against the run last season, allowing 4.4 yards per carry (25th overall). Lee's ability to get sideline to sideline with his incredible athleticism would help in that regard. He also can match up one-on-one in coverage against RBs and TEs.

Watch Lee's highlights

20. New York Jets
    Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

The Jets are lacking a natural outside CB to play opposite Darrelle Revis, and Apple fits the bill. He needs to improve his technique in press coverage, but Apple's rare size-speed combo (6-foot-1; 4.40 40) gives him a lot of upside if he's coached properly.

Watch Apple's highlights

21. Washington Redskins
    Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama
    Reed, the most dominant interior run defender in this class, is almost too perfect of a fit for the Redskins. He's a plug-and-play starter at 3-4 nose tackle, which Washington needs in the worst way after allowing 4.8 yards per carry last season (31st in the NFL).

Watch Reed's highlights
    22. Houston Texans
    Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
    The Texans have spent the offseason overhauling their offense, so why stop now? New QB Brock Osweiler could use some more speed at WR opposite of DeAndre Hopkins, and Coleman ran a sub-4.4 40 at his pro day. He has a lot of work to do as a route runner, but he is a highly gifted athlete who has the natural ability to make guys miss in the open field.

Watch Coleman's highlights
    23. Minnesota Vikings

Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

Doctson would be a welcome sight for QB Teddy Bridgewater. The TCU product has the size, leaping skills and focus to present a one-on-one matchup problem down the field outside the hashes.

Watch Doctson's highlights

24. Cincinnati Bengals
    Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi
    While Treadwell lacks game-breaking speed, he's highly effective on contested throws and jump balls. In Cincy, he would thrive in the short-to-intermediate area playing opposite one of the league's premier deep threats in A.J. Green.

Watch Treadwell's highlights

25. Pittsburgh Steelers
    William Jackson III, CB, Houston
    The Steelers need to come out of this draft with upgrades at CB after allowing 272 passing yards per game last season (30th overall). Jackson, who led the FBS with 28 pass breakups last season, has the best ball skills of any defensive back in this draft.

Watch Jackson's highlights

26. Seattle Seahawks
    Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
    Russell Wilson was running for his life far too often last season (45 sacks, tied for third worst). And while Ifedi is really raw, he has the length (36-inch arms), quickness and balance to eventually develop into a quality right tackle.

Watch Ifedi's highlights

27. Green Bay Packers
    Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
    The Packers want to move Clay Matthews back to outside linebacker, and drafting a player like Ragland -- who is one of the most pro-ready prospects in this class -- would be a solution there. He'd be a steal at No. 27, too.

Watch Ragland's highlights

28. Kansas City Chiefs
    Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
    Butler has flashes of Muhammad Wilkerson in his game. He's a dominant run defender who wins with good quickness for his size, but his production never quite matched his ability as a pass-rusher.

Watch Butler's highlights

29. Arizona Cardinals
    Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida
    Bullard has experience playing both inside and outside, so he brings a lot of versatility to the table. He doesn't have elite physical tools, but he's a grinder.

Watch Bullard's highlights

30. Carolina Panthers
    Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
    Dodd comes with some risk because he really put together only one solid year of film. His athletic limitations are also a concern, but on tape, he shows a good first step coming off the edge.

Watch Dodd's highlights

31. Denver Broncos
    Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
    Henry has natural ball skills and the athleticism to stretch the defense down the seam. He uses his frame well to shield defenders from the ball in contested-catch situations.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FINAL <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> Mock Draft Survey is here: <a href="https://t.co/ybj4M2e1UN">https://t.co/ybj4M2e1UN</a><br>93.8% of experts say WR at 22.<br>39.6% say it'll be Baylor's Corey Coleman.</p>&mdash; Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoughertyDrew/status/725718942887583747">April 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

^Did you have McShay's full board right? What you posted isn't matching up to what other sites have.

http://imgur.com/CAyo3sy

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans">@HoustonTexans</a> are the only team in the <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL">@NFL</a> with every first round pick since 2008 still on their roster: <a href="https://t.co/sv5MRZrHfe">pic.twitter.com/sv5MRZrHfe</a></p>&mdash; Texans PR (@TexansPR) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexansPR/status/725745008704253952">April 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Ah darn, guess that guy that tweeted it screwed up