1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Summer's most improved rosters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Broford, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Broford

Broford Member

By Amin Elhassan

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...-most-improved-teams-2013-14-nba?refresh=true

1 person likes this.
  2. Broford

Broford Member

Here are the other teams:

1 person likes this.
  3. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Who could have possibly gotten #1?

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Clippers did not improve their roster more than Houston.

Re-signing Paul technically doesn't count.

1 person likes this.
  5. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I understand it was a big move for them, I also may have on my Rockets Red glasses, but can someone please explain how acquiring Doc Rivers was a bigger roster upgrade over us signing Dwight. His teams were very pedestrian, until he magically acquired 2 stars to form his own big 3 and win a championship.

6. Broford

Broford Member

I don't buy the Clippers as the most improved team. Reddick and Dudley are great roleplayers who can help with their perimeter shooting, but the team's biggest weakness is its lack of defense up front. In the Western Conference, that frontcourt can get eaten alive.

7. Classic

Classic Member

Clippers resigned their guy and are #1?

Give it to the Rockets or Nets who both made major moves for major players.

8. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

What? :confused: The Clippers didn't improve much at all, and neither did the Warriors. The Rockets and Nets should be 1 and 2 with 3 VERY far behind.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Reddick + Dudley >>>>>>>>>>>> Howard + Casspi

10. CertifiedTroll

You must be Skip Bayless, because I know that SAS disagrees.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Clippers did improve their roster they got two really solid wing guys in Dudley and Reddick to help space the floor and were able to sign two of their contributing bench guys in Barnes and Hollins on the cheap and then were able to sign Darren Collison cheaply as well to backup paul. And they got a high profile head coach in Doc Rivers as well to coach this team.

Compared that with Houston we got Dwight and then re-signed Garcia and signed Casspi and Williams it.

Objectively speaking I do think the Clippers did have a better offseason so far. Even if it was their own guy they landed the #2 free agent, signed a top tier coach, and 5 solid bench players/starters

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

They obviously treated CP3 as a new acquisition (as they did with Garcia) - and if they do that, their ranking is perfectly fine.

13. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Howard >>>>>>>>>>>cpgay, redick, dudley

1 person likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Doc's hiring was aces for the Clips. He makes them legitimate. Glenn Rivers will not be CP3s assistant coach and watch the development of Lopez and Jordan.

Clips will be tough. Will they be playing in June? That is less certain. One should not count out Pop's SAS. One cannot count out the Thunder. And one cannot dismiss the Rockets.

KMc may be the right coach for this team but he is not the coach either Doc or Pop is.

I believe p/o seeding, and the obligatory 'health', will go a long way to determining who goes into June.

Rox need TJ and/or DMo to develop quickly and for Asik to embrace his role as starting 4 and b/u 5 30mpg D stud. It just might happen.

15. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I agree. Making the first move to secure Doc which in turn secured CP3 and then everything else fell into place.

They got arguably the best PG in the league, a championship winning coach, and filled out their roster with great role players. I think the only move they've been criticized so far for is the Hollins signing.

I think it's very close between the Rockets and Clips for the 1 and 2 most improved, with a slight advantage to the Clips. This is NOT saying that the clips are better than us, but they signed and traded for a lot of key guys in this particular off season.

16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

can somebody explain why Howard wouldn't like running the "pick and roll"??? Am I missing something? Too fancy foot work? He would have to run out to the wing and set a "pick"? He isn't getting the basketball? He doesn't like Jeremy Lin? He can't 'roll' to his left--because he's not an ambi-turner?

why wouldn't he want to run the p&r with some of the best in the business in Harden & Lin if it makes the team better????

That's like saying Harden doesn't like to shoot 3s even though he's good at it. I don't get it.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

b/c Doc was hired, they become #1??? because they believe he will just out coach his opponents...And did i forget to mention that they essentially have the exact same team??? that was embarrassed by the Grizzlies??

Doc's influence on this team will not be as much as it was for the Celtics. Here is the reason why...with the Celtics, He had 3 Allstar level (2 future HOF) able to create their own shot and create for others at crunch time moments...

With the Clippers, he only has one guy that has to essentially make everyone on his team better. And without CP3, the Clippers are essentially a garbage team.

The reason why the Clippers were able to win at least that one game was because of Chris Paul...When teams find a way to make him irrelevant, there isnt another guy that can do it. This is essentially why the Clippers are in my book extremely overrated for this off season's impact. Doc really doesn't make that big of a difference.

18. conquistador#11

the clippers made lateral moves with the exception of adding a real coach. Don't see why they got the no.1 spot.

19. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Is this in jest? No one would ever say they'd rather have Reddick + Dudley than Dwight Howard...

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, Clippers at #1 is just more ESPN big media market bias. Stupid. The Rockets improved WAY more than they did. Anytime you just straight up add a superstar to your roster, that's huge.