1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN-Insider] Parson's team option...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, May 4, 2014.

1. FaBo

FaBo Member

I don't know... I'm still a bit reluctant to give up Parsons. When I read some of the posts here, I can't help but wonder what some of you guys expected from Parsons in the playoffs. He's put up 19/7/2 against the Blazers and at 44% FG / 36% 3PT, was actually having decent shooting percentages - at least compared to Bev, Lin or James.
    I don't think we necessarily need a third "superstar". We already have the best SG and best C in the league, my concern would be filling the holes in the roster, especially in the starting 5. We need an upgrade at PG and PF. Players of the Lowry/Millsap caliber.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

D-E-F-E-N-S-E and not missing layups.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I believe dwight proved it's his team as of right now. He dominated this series and going into next year I believe it would be all about dwight leading us. Harden is going to have to be robin to batman until it's time for Dwight to take a back seat to harden. We really played inside out in the playoffs and I believed it really worked very well we just made a few mental mistakes and needed a few stops but dwight proved we can go to him non stop and play inside out. So with saying that I believe the target should be rondo. Rondo can show our players how to properly give dwight a nice entry pass and ally oop. He can dj bad harden in all his sweet spots and give him the ball in the proper area in a nice shooting motion. I just feel rondo is somebody that this franchise and city would love far more than a melo or love IMO.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He needs to step his game up defensively and become a consistent shooter to make the next step. I think he can do it. That said, you deal him in a heartbeat if it addresses PG or PF.

Pretty good SF are a dime a dozen in this league. I'd rather lose a little talent at SF to upgrade at PF or PG.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Parsons is very under rated, the guy is not easily replaceable.

DD

6. basketballholic

Parsons is going n-o-w-h-e-r-e.

But.....Morey is trying to get a deal done before June 30th so he can run Parsons through restricted free agency.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets are going to pick up his option.

The national media can't look into the Rockets beyond what's staring at them in the face. If the Rockets make Parsons a RFA, regardless of his next contract, it will make them absolutely ineligible for making a FA offer to Love, Melo, Aldridge, whoever. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the Rockets strategy of trying to add another star, this is their Plan A.

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

BTW: I'm not advocating the trading of Parsons who is an exceptional player with massive potential...just relaying the facts & rumors.

Parsons, if he continues to progress & add to his game will be looking at a big payday. The question is do we stick with Parsons & add just one all star or if the opportunity arises sign & trade him to get two Stars...or is this kid a future star?

I think he is a future star & already a very good player...IMO.

Thoughts...

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i put him at the same level as jeff green, who i think we could get from boston pretty easily if we wanted.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

It is possible for the Rockets to have Parsons and obtain Melo at the same time. It is impossible for the Rockets to trade Parsons and obtain both Melo and Green at the same time.

You can think as little of Parsons as you want. But if the alternative is someone making $9mil/yr, then the Rockets simply cannot get one and still retain the flexibility of adding a max player. And I would imagine you'd agree that Melo or Love is better than Jeff Green.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He's underrated....at a million a year. He's overrated at 8-10 mil. I never wanted to ship Parsons out as part of a packaged deal last season, even for Rondo. After the Portland series, I have no problem with the Rockets sending him off. I don't think it's wise to tie up 8-10 mil a season on Parsons. He's a good all-around player, but he's not All-Star caliber and frankly there are lots of guys in the league who can hit spot up 3s, drive to the hoop, and finish in transition. Oh, and actually convert wide open layups which is a skill that still eludes Parsons after 3 seasons.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Here's how i'd like to see the summer go as far as this situation is concerned:

1) S&T asik/lin/picks for melo - why would the knicks do it? if he says he's leaving, its better than losing him to chicago for nothing. we just have to convince him to want to sign here.

2) Boston wanted parsons at the deadline, S&T him at around 8M per year for rondo.

3) enjoy a roster of:

dwight-dmo
    jones-dmo
    melo-covington
    harden-daniels
    rondo-bev-canaan

yes its a weak bench, yes it will eventually go over the LT... but with the right coach we could win it all and seriously contend for the next 3-5 years. until it becomes too expensive to keep everyone.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i was thinking more along the lines of parsons + stuff for rondo + stuff (including green)

this would be assuming we strike out with melo. as far as love, considering he's not a free agent for another 14 months and it seems he'd prefer the fakers over us anyways, i don't see how we ever get him.

parsons appears to be a better floor shooter than green, but i'm not so sure that's a product of getting wide open looks playing with 2 superstars and green being forced into poor shot selection on a crappy team. i'd say their defense, ball handling, rebounding are about equal. parsons is the better playmaker while green can finish better in traffic. i would think parsons will command about the same annual salary as green.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Parsons wasn't all that compared to Batum... thanks for everything but we want a championship and you can be replaced with a better player. Go be the best small forward for another team in a different series.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah and we can sign a cheap big man too

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think Parsons has been promised to stay. He said something like "this team is going to be together for many years". This didn't come out of thin air. I believe he has been made assurances that he will get paid - after we pick up one huge FA after next season.

This free agent period, I think we will sign vets to one-year deals (maybe to two-year deals, but only the first year guaranteed). 2015 is the big year. After that, we will have a big three plus Parsons plus some great vets.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

You can stop right now. This will NEVER work, there is only one ball to go around, and way too many egos!

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

along with the retaining mchale, it sounds like this is exactly what they're doing. the thing is, dwight is not getting any younger. from my recollection, he also has a player option the summer of 2015. if he feels his window is closing and we can't even get out of the first round then he most definitely could bolt.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So basically ESPN is just throwing together well known and obvious rumors.

But for real I would kill for Love.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I hear ya breh! KLove is the real shiznit!...:eek: