1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] - NBA Rookie Watch: Best of 22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pkothari1013, Mar 14, 2013.

1. pkothari1013

pkothari1013 Member

Insider article talking about the best 22 year old rookies based on potential.

Here is D-Mo's mention:

And here is the whole article for those interested: http://i.imgur.com/VQi9uCN.jpg

Also, here are the links for the 19, 20, and 21 year olds: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7722064&postcount=17

Enjoy!

2 people like this.
  2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

The hilarious part is that Thorpe is pegging him as a future NBA starter, yet he's ranked #49 on his rookie top 50. Herrrrp derp.

On the heels of Jared Cunningham (#43), the promising rookie from Dallas that has played 25 mintues this season!

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow! Our current starting power forward is also a future NBA starter? AWESOME!

1 person likes this.
  4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Lillard has no all-star prospect.

He has peaked.

5. pkothari1013

pkothari1013 Member

Yeah, those Rookie rankings make NO sense whatsoever - Austin Rivers is ranked 29 spots higher than D-Mo at #30... granted he's gotten ample playing time, but he is practically a detriment to an already poor Hornets squad.

6. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

DMo ----> the next jeremy lin

7. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

He is literally one of the worst rookies of all time. He will be a career bench warmer or playing in China soon enough.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Here's what I don't get about the establishment media. Why are they purposely willfully ignorant. John Henson over Montiejunas? Sure, it could happen but the odds are low. D-Mo's strength's are offensive and Henson's are Defensive. So from the jump D-Mo has an advantage. It's like espn want's to be myopic to be safe.

9. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

D-Mo's PER is already well above average this year, (and higher than every other starter except Harden, granted its easier to get high PER on the bench, as Greg Smith and Anderson also have great PER).

He needs to not get lost in the rotation and pace himself to play 30+ min, but otherwise he's great, maybe even all-star potential great, that sort of package is really REALLY rare.

our team essentially starts 4 guys who can all create / dribble / very mutli demision attack . next season we'll probably set some crazy record for scoring (hell we're already on pass to break the all time NBA record for 3 points made in a season.)

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

Who cares about rankings, no one knows D-Mo outside Houston and seems legit that he is underrated there. :)

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I hope this is addressed. Parsons (slightly) improved the arc on his shot this past offseason using that odd apparatus on the hoop*, so hopefully D-Mo will do the same. I think this is even more important at this point in his career than improving his strength.

His current Eddie Griffin-like line drive shots concern me.

*Saw this in the Parsons offseason workout video someone posted.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Whats going to be D-Mo's turning point (or ceiling if not successful) is when he's strong enough in the lower body to throw it to him in the post, size up the defense, wait for the double team, and be able to pass out of the double team once the defense commits.

He's already very skilled at sealing off his defender, but the lower body strength is going to be key to being able to not be pushed off the block.

Then from that point on, you will effectively be able to run your offense through a true low post player... that's something every team craves, and is something you can rely on in playoff style half court basketball.

-So offensively he's a potential triple threat. He should be able to be a consistent post threat, he can spot up and space the floor, and can eventually be a pick and roll big man effectively. Again, how many skilled big 7 footers in this league have this offensive capability????....

-Defensively, I actually think he's potentially more valuable than someone like a John Henson because he has the ability to give you a defense with two 7 footers at a time on defense without hurting you offensively.

That's the beauty of a Dirk Nowitzki or Pau Gasol in the triangle, and a good reason why a team like the 2011 Dallas Mavericks or the 2009 LA Lakers where so good defensively in the playoffs. You were effectively able to play two Centers on the floor together defensively withouth taking anything away offensively.

D-Mo will eventually fill out and have legit 7 foot Center size. He has already put on a good amount of "Good Weight" this season which is a testament to his hard work. You have no idea how hard it is to properly train to put on that kind of muscle on his frame during the season with all the challenges of travel.

Having the ability to have that kind of size in the paint defensively will help the perimeter defense gameplan to funnel perimeter players in the paint where they have two 7 footers clogging the paint.

No doubt that D-Mo still has a ways to go, but as far as his skill level, potential size, and hard work go.... Your talking about your potential #2 player right here if he develops the right way. Thats the kind of talent, and potential he has.

1 person likes this.
  13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not sure he's updating the top 50 right now. I think he's just been writing about the top players in each age group recently.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am very happy with PF depth chart.

Morey is in a very of place. He gave up a lot of picks and Lamb to get Harden. However he still has Jones and White as rookies not getting NBA pt. Motiejunas, Beverley, and Robinson as rookies getting playing time, but still with room to get better. Lin and Parsons are still young guys who appear to have at least one more year of solid growth.

Where do you use your max money? I think he'll have his pick of secondary stars like Smith, Millsap, and Iguodala. Howard would be no brainer if passes physical.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

How many players peak in their rookie seasons? How many players peak at age 22? I think he will be an all star level PG eventually. I agree that his upside has been exaggerated by Portland fans though, he will be a low level level all star point guard, but he's not a franchise player. Portland still lacks that one central piece, they have three really good players with Lillard/Batum/Aldridge, but they need a superstar to build around and they don't have that at the moment.

16. Prince

Prince Member

not a surprise why Morey traded Morris for a second draft choice only. it was actually a favor given to the Suns and Morrises.

17. nobie

nobie Member

I doubt he will train with this apparatus off-season, since he will probably practice and play with his national team. It will be something NBA > Playoffs > few weeks vacation > national team camp > Championship > few weeks vacation > Houston Camp > NBA .

Though he will get a lot more experience on high level, so you can expect better defense and better offensive decisions, and of course improved psychical attributes. I just hope he doesnt burn out and gets injured like YAO.

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

If D-Mo can improve as much this offseason as Parsons did, then we are set!
    However, what Parsons did this offseason was an anomaly. How mamy players improve that much in one offseason? I can't think of many.

19. aziankingz

aziankingz Member

DMo could be the next Vlade Divac lol

20. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

John Henson has extremely long arms, thus his 'size' is skewed. It's not about height, it's about wingspan and standing reach. Just because u r 7' doesn't mean u can defend well. Also, he is not, and never will be a center, nor have center 'size'. His weight won't change again, and it doesn't need to, he is a finesse player, and runs like a gazelle. 7' PF size is where the mismatch will be, and should be. Bulking up and becoming a center would diminish his abilities.