1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: Early West All-Stars

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tehG l i d e, Dec 20, 2013.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10168582/nba-early-leaders-west-all-star-squad

Given the way the Western Conference has dominated the East this season, the only battle more competitive than making the playoffs in the West will be for the coveted 12 spots on the conference's All-Star team. Fifteen of the NBA's top 20 players in my wins above replacement (WARP) rating call the Western Conference home, making cutting down to 12 players difficult enough before accounting for the spot guaranteed to Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, who is the runaway leader in fan voting for the West backcourt despite the time he's missed to injury. (His latest, a fracture of the tibial plateau, is expected to cost him six weeks and could force him to miss the All-Star Game.)

As it turns out, Bryant isn't the only likely starter who doesn't make my team, chosen based on a combination of performance to date and expected production the rest of the season. Let's take a look.

BACKCOURT ALL-STARS

Starters

Paul
    Paul
    Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers

So far this season, Paul has been the best player in the West. He's traded the WARP lead with LeBron James and Kevin Durant, is tops in Basketball-Reference.com's Win Shares and is fourth in PER. With more weapons around him, Paul is averaging a career-high 11.7 assists per 36 minutes and hasn't sacrificed scoring in the process.

Curry
    Curry
    Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors

The other starting backcourt spot is more challenging, but I'd give the nod to first-time All-Star Curry, who has picked up where he left off during last year's playoffs. Curry has been the best scorer at guard in the league, and he's also handing out 8.7 assists per 36 minutes while handling the ball more after Jarrett Jack's departure. That offsets his problematic turnover rate (4.0 per 36 minutes).

Reserves

Harden
    Harden
    James Harden, Houston Rockets

Whether because of the sore foot he's been battling, the adjustment to playing alongside Dwight Howard or simply randomness, Harden hasn't been quite as effective in the early going as he was during his first season in Houston. But Harden isn't playing poorly -- at least on offense -- and is still 13th in the league in WARP.

Westbrook
    Westbrook
    Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder

Based strictly on performance this season, Westbrook might not make a crowded West backcourt. But if ever we're going to look past that, it should be for a perennial All-Star affected by an injury that's unlikely to be a factor going forward. Already, Westbrook's numbers are up across the board in December, when he's averaged 23.1 points (up from 22.2), 8.9 assists (5.9) and 7.7 rebounds (5.0) per 36 minutes.

Parker
    Parker
    Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs

Parker's numbers are also off slightly from last season, notably in assists (7.3 per 36 minutes, down from 8.3) and free throw percentage (72.0 percent, down from 84.5). But he remains the driving force behind the NBA's fourth-best offense and a deserving All-Star.

Lillard
    Lillard
    Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers

If Bryant is back by mid-February, it's going to be difficult for Lillard to unseat his more experienced peers in the West backcourt -- a lesson Curry learned last season. Lillard has done everything in his power to earn a spot. He's third in WARP among West guards, behind only Paul and Curry. The second-year guard is running the league's best offense (Portland is averaging 114.5 points per 100 possessions) and has won multiple games with his clutch shots. Per NBA.com/Stats, Lillard's four field goals to tie or take the lead in the final 30 seconds of games are double anyone else in the NBA.

Names to watch

Bryant
    Bryant
    Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

I can understand fans wanting to see Bryant in the All-Star Game. At this point, however, the Mamba might need the time off as he works his way back from a second major injury.

Lawson
    Lawson
    Ty Lawson, Denver Nuggets

Lawson leads a group of productive point guards, including Eric Bledsoe and Mike Conley, who simply have no hope of cracking the West backcourt barring injury.

Matthews
    Matthews
    Wesley Matthews, Portland Trail Blazers

With apologies to Monta Ellis, Manu Ginobili and Klay Thompson, Matthews has been the second-best shooting guard in the West this season. His .645 true shooting percentage ranks third in the NBA. Still, the conference's depth at point guard precludes Matthews for legitimate All-Star consideration.

FRONTCOURT ALL-STARS

Starters

Durant
    Durant
    Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder

It's testament to the talent in the league that Durant can post a near-carbon copy of his 2012-13 season (statistically, the only difference is a decline in his 2-point percentage from .539 to .510) and not automatically be considered the leading challenger to LeBron James for MVP honors.

Aldridge
    Aldridge
    LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland Trail Blazers

Aldridge has played his way into the MVP discussion with a dominant first two months. While he's not as efficient a scorer as you think (his .521 true shooting percentage is below average because he rarely gets to the free throw line), Aldridge's versatility is key to the league's best offense and a defense good enough to contend.

Love
    Love
    Kevin Love, Minnesota Timberwolves

In years past, Blazers fans have used head-to-head matchups to argue Aldridge's superiority to Love. After Love nearly posted a triple-double (29 points, 15 rebounds and nine assists) in Wednesday's win over Portland, the roles have reversed. Fortunately, there's room for both players on the West frontline since we're no longer required to pick a center. Still third in the league in WARP (and tops among Kevins), Love has earned a starting spot.

Reserves

Howard
    Howard
    Dwight Howard, Houston Rockets

Healthier nearly two years removed from back surgery and on a roster better suited to his skills, Howard has been more effective this season in Houston. He's been more efficient in the post and more dominant on the glass. Plus, his return to form at the free throw line (56.2 percent, after two seasons below 50 percent) has made intentional fouls less viable.

Nowitzki
    Nowitzki
    Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks

After having an 11-year All-Star streak snapped last February, Nowitzki has played his way back on the roster. Save a slightly smaller role in the Dallas offense, Nowitzki has shown few signs of aging and remains one of the league's most accurate shooters, making 51.8 percent of his 2s, 41.9 percent of his 3s and 92.7 percent at the line.

Davis
    Davis
    Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans

In the context of the outcry over fan voting for Kobe, justifying a spot for another player coming off injury might seem difficult. But Davis, who returned to the Pelicans' lineup Wednesday, missed just seven games. Moreover, Davis has been so good when in the lineup (his 28.3 PER trails only James) that he's still ninth in the league in WARP, which is designed to value durability.

Names to watch

Griffin
    Griffin
    Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers

Griffin has been down slightly this season, particularly in terms of his 2-point percentage (.548 to .522), but missing out on my frontcourt roster says more about the rest of the West than Griffin's own play. Even if Griffin bounces back, as he likely will, it's not clear he'll be better than the six players ahead of him.

Duncan
    Duncan
    Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs

After a dreadfully slow start, Duncan has averaged 20.7 points and 15.3 rebounds per 36 minutes in December, so he may yet overtake Nowitzki for the one veteran spot on the roster the two of them have traded off the last two years.

Batum
    Batum
    Nicolas Batum, Portland Trail Blazers

Like teammate Matthews, Batum is the second-best player in the conference at his position, but the West's superb set of power forwards means Durant will surely be the only small forward on the All-Star team.

Cousins
    Cousins
    DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento Kings

By improving his finishing around the basket, Cousins has moved into sixth in the NBA in PER and eighth in WARP. But Cousins' defense hasn't progressed as quickly, and the Kings rank 27th in defensive rating.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

For some reason, I know I'll be upset if Kobe gets voted in, booting out Lilliard.

Starters:
    Chris Paul
    Stephen Curry
    Kevin Durant
    Blake Griffin
    Dwight Howard

Reserves:
    James Harden
    Russell Westbrook
    Tony Parker
    Damian Lilliard*
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Kevin Love
    Dirk Nowitzki

How can the East compete with that? I wonder what his picks are for the East All-Star team

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't put curry over Harden.

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I said this in the Kobe injury thread but I believe IF Kobe doesn't play the ASG Scott Brooks (assuming OKC has best record) will choose either Westbrook or Harden to play along side CP3 in the back court.

6. FearTheBeardJH

what about Jerry Lin?

7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Get Blake Griffin outta here!

He does not deserve to start.

It's either Love or Aldridge!.

Everybody else suck at the PF position

8. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

No love for Anthony Davis? That guy has been an animal this year.

9. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

They really should get rid of fan voting. The best players over the course of this seson need to be there.
    I would like to see a media vote for this.

10. tecmotexans

tecmotexans Member

FANTASTIC...JIMMY FREAKING TWO TIMES!!!

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This **** is rigged I tried voting for half an hr and couldn't

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

My eyes hurt from seeing so many names repeated unnecessarily.

13. QazQay

QazQay Member

I would do:

Starters:
    CP3
    Harden
    Durant
    Love
    Howard

Bench:
    Curry
    Westbrook
    Conley
    Griffin
    Aldridge
    Dirk
    Duncan

14. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

They are just gonna grab the overflow from the West and add to East team. :grin:

15. coffeelover665

In Lin we trust

16. hltiki

hltiki Member

wb shud be ahead of curry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

If you guys look on Instagram, There are hundreds of what i consider fake (computer generated) accounts that all they do is vote for Jeremy Lin. At first i thought people were just creating the accounts so they could vote for their favorite player, but as i examined closer. it looks like these are not real people doing the instagram voting.

Its very interesting but also cheating IMO.

18. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Batum second best SF in West? I would def take Parsons over him.

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Curry better not get snubbed this year

20. Yellow

Yellow Member

Such bs, a player should have played x amount of minutes to be voted in imo so Kobe is out. Injured players should always be out and indeed, Curry better make it!