1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Houston offering young talent + picks for Nene

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Sign me up. This team needs a big body in the lane. I'm tired of guys going over the back or pushing out our guys to grab key rebounds. This team needs size and strength as much as it needs a shotblocker and you won't get both in one player realistically.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I was totally with you until you said "bring back Yao".

Hell to-the no! The guy is done, finished. Let someone else deal with his injuries.

3. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

The Nuggets aren't a better team because you ignore defense in your evaluation of their talent. Thy are literally the best offensive team in the NBA. Melo isn't even half the player LeBron is because his defense sucks. Nene's issue is that he plays out of position. Afflalo is a good defender but many times he has to guard a bigger SF because Melo is incompetent. Billups and Martin do fine at their positions for the most part.

4. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Here's a story, of a man named Nene... the youngest one in curls

5. Rockets_4_life

Something to keep in mind is that Nene is an unrestricted free agent after this year, the guy can just leave and leave us with nothing... which is probably the most likeliest scenario b/c I don't see why he would want to be a part of this mediocre team..

So big 'NO' to Nene, I'd much rather pursue a young center and develop him...

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

He has an ETO clause, he could just opt out but then would be giving up over 11 million and risking less money elsewhere after the new CBA is ready.

7. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Let me get this straight...

Did you really just say...

1.) Asik reminds you of a "young YAO"; and
    2.) Asik > Nene ?

You can't be serious...

YOU SHOULD BAN YOUR OWN ACCOUNT AND NEVER POST AGAIN FOR BEING SO FOOLISH !!!

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think he understands that he would have the ball go through him most of the time. I think he signs a two year extension and becomes a Lamarcus Aldridge type player and looks for the big pay day.

9. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Most likely Rockets are going to want some type of Singing extension if we do trade for his contract, Maybe the Rockets can extend his contract to like a 3 year contract worth 35mill. I wouldn't be suprise if More gets Both Nene and Billups, sinse Denver wants to clean house. This could end up being a blockbuster trade with us getting both Billups and Nene and making a final run for the playoffs. :grin:

10. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

This is another reason why we SHOULD go after him. LOW RISK now and for the future plus you get an efficient veteran 7 footer !!!

I dont see the problem.

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

While that is true, he is having a career year, if Rockets don't make playoffs with him, he could split, and likely get similar to B. Haywood money, or at least similar to Scola money....Best case scenario would be, we trade for Nene, make playoffs, and he does not exercise the ETO...if he does, we'll either have to overpay to keep him, or lose him for nothing.....

Tough decision imo. If this had been last month, when we were relatively in the hunt, I would have pulled the trigger on him....I think it may be too late, at least for this year.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

And how many young talented centers are available in the market right now that is better than him? That is right, none. SAC is not going to give up Cousins by the deadline unless he does something very bad. Gasol doesn't seem to be leaving missing. Hibbert is an option but he doesn't seem that great this season. Howard is not coming to Houston. None of the big rookies from last year's draft is either. We don't have high enough lottery position to draft a talented big either. I love how so many of you say "Oh DM should get this guy!" like he has a choice.

13. MrJason

MrJason Member

Morey just keeps screwing New York over.

If Walsh doesn't get Melo because he refused to budge, it's because the Rockets embarrassed him last time.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Honestly if we get nene and randolph that does make things iteresting

We would be loaded with lottery picks...with high potential

T will, Randolph (assuming hill and bud are the one dealt) patterson.

All three of those cause have the talent to be all stars.

We could play randolph at the 3 and the 4...Give them the rest of the season to do something and if they dont pan out go for a complete rebuild next year.

15. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Not too keen on getting Billups, but getting him will do several things for us. He gives us the one thing NO ONE can provide or know anything about ... championship experience. He also is not a slouch and could be instrumental to getting a SUPERSTAR like Dwight Howard to look our way in 2012 !!!

Imagine 2012 !!!

1 - Billups / Lowry / Ish
    2 - Martin / Lee
    3 - ? / TWill
    4 - Nene / Patterson / Hayes
    5 - Howard / Miller /

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree with you. And the the Rockets are very much like the Nuggets, all offense and no defense. That's why I'm not sure plugging Nene into our lineup is going to make us much better. I think I want to see someone in the middle that is a true defensive stopper. I realize that some people on this board feel that Nene is a good defensive player, but the fact he is currently playing for a terrible defensive team concerns me.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Agreed. He is a pit bull and I love his game face. But you've got to give up something to get something. If I have to make a choice between giving up PPat or Scola, I am going to give up Scola. He's older and he'll bring more in trade. His game has topped out. And he's a one-way player. If we trade for Nene and pay him $11 mill per and put him alongside Scola where he has to be 4th option on offense, then we really are wasting Nene. If we aren't going to trade Scola, we might as well just get a big that blocks shots and is a fifth option on offense, a Kendrick Perkins type. If you are going to acquire Nene, he needs to be a top 3 option offensively.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Reasonable points - - if one factors in Luis' base year contract which limits the types of places and/or trades possible.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I agree, Nene is not a huge upgrade, we need to make a splash at the center position

20. Greg M

Greg M Member

Who is that?? Big men are few and far between today.