1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Houston offering young talent + picks for Nene

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 17, 2011.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good points here.

Do think a lot of folks that have posted about Nene nothing being a great defender or a rebounder truly do not know what they are talking about or haven't seen enough of Nene's play other then against the Rockets. Every nationally televised game I've seen the Nuggets play this year, the commentators are praising how great Nene is and etc. How much of an impact he is as the anchor for the Nuggets. The Nuggets as a whole rebound great for a team. Anthony himself is averaging close 8 rpg.

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Please. Dude is a 24 year old rookie who's playing on a crappy team and hasn't done anything to justify that kind of love.

3. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Though it sound great to get Josh Smith, there is no way we have enough to offer ATL to get him without giving up either martin or scola after trading everything else of value to get Nene.

A Lowry,Martin,Smith,Scola,Nene line up would be a beast but I just wouldnt want Smith to think that he would have the green light to shoot outside jumpers. Additionally, that would be the problem with having him in the lineup...lack of spacing due to lack of outside shooting.

I would still take my chances on seeing if it would work. Its a pipe dream and probly wouldnt even get approved on NBA2k11

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When Nene was drafted, he did a bit of samba as he made his way onto the stage. I guess he could show some capoeira.

5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

This.

6. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

The problem doesn't stay the same, You get guys in here who can shoot over 50% and the problem doesnt stay the same, our PPG will be a lot more sinse there's going to be less outside shot's taken and a higher FG% means more PPG. We are currently shooting 45% as a team, which is nice, but If you add a big body with Nene's high FG% into this team, this team will go from shooting 45% to shooting over 50% as a team, meaning we won't be averaging 105ppg , more like over 110ppg if we get Nene and get rid of these outside shots and have a more balance team.

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Yeah, but Nene had more balls back then. His effectiveness has been diminished because he can only go ball to walls now. ;)

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If the Rockets can somehow come away this deadline with Nene and A. Randolph, i would consider this as successful. NY needs another pick to deal for Melo. It has all been laid out on the table for us.

9. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Wrong, Denver is subpar in rebounding and absolutely horrible defensively.

29th in the league in offensive rebounding
    13th in the league in defensive rebounding
    23th in the league in scoring defense
    29th in the league in turnovers forced

If Nene was that good then all of these would be much higher.

I want Morey to try and get Asik. Great defender and his offensive weaknesses remind me of a young 7'6" guy we drafted about 9 years ago.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

1 - There is nothing new in this 'report'. I've said for weeks Nene is DM the GMs real target, lurking behind Melo pursuit.

2 - Will Denver be as impotent about pulling a Nene trigger as that front office has been pulling Melo's?

Nene is fine. What else are you going to do?

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Love it. It has to be Budinger, Hill, Jeffries and the Knicks pick. Get'r done!

12. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

We gotta get those robot legs for Yao thats our only chance.

No more floppers, no more projects, and FOR DEAR GOD NO MORE OF THESE!

[​IMG]

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

1. Wes Johnson isn't available. He's a lottery pick rookie with loads of potential playing on a lottery team. They're not giving him up. They may give up Martell Webster, however, which would be a typical low profile Morey move.

2. When I say I believe we are going to attempt to acquire both Anthony Randolph and Nene, I believe that precludes acquiring Josh Smith. Smith is a 4 that can play spot minutes at the 3. He's not a 3.

3. When I say I believe we are going to attempt to acquire both Randolph and Nene, I believe that spells the end of Scola in Houston. If we acquire both, we will have Nene/Hayes/Randolph/Patterson/Scola as our bigs. Scola is the odd man out. You can combine him plus Brooks and probably acquire a pretty good combination of a two-way small forward and something else like a future pick. Perhaps Portland will part with Batum or Wes Matthews in a Brooks/Scola deal. Perhaps (dreaming) Indiana parts with Granger, but probably not. However, we may be able to get Dunleavy and a draft pick for Scola and an expiring. My point is,...........Scola has max trade value right now. He's signed to a reasonable contract and he balls every game. But he's at his ceiling. And if we are going to go with players with more "upside" then he is the obvious chip, in my opinion, that we are going to move.

A big man rotation of Nene/Hayes/Patterson/Randolph/Miller is very intriguing to me. You've got two legit young bigs, one of them super talented with high skill level that has never been coached up, and the other one with a great pedigree and great skill set and a workaholic (PPat) that has obvious bball iq that has already been coached up and we don't quite know what his ceiling is. You start Nene and Hayes and you integrate Randolph and Patterson playing alongside the vet Miller. (Yes, this assumes Hill is gone in the Nene trade or some other move. He's not a part of our future here. Isn't it obvious?) A nice rotation of bigs that covers the whole spectrum for us, defense, rebounding, blocked shots, high post offense and low post offense. We've got all the skillsets and they are much better balanced.

Then on the perimeter you go with Lowry/TWill/Ish at the point, two guys that are hard bodies, that d it up, and that make plays, Martin/Lee at the SG...enough said there, and then our uipgrade at the SF position (Martell, Matthews, Batum....not likely, Granger, Dunleavy, Kirilenko, Prince), the two way guy that can defend, board, and get some points for you.

Our trade pieces are:

Yao's contract
    Scola
    Brooks
    Hill
    Budinger
    2012 pick or 2011 pick after we unravel the pick switch
    Jared's contract
    the Ariza TPE

and possibly Lee and Patterson and Battier if there is a superstar to be had and we've got to include them too.

Our keepers at this time are Lowry and Martin. No way we trade those guys unless we are getting a serious upgrade to a superstar at their spot, PG, SG. And Chuck is pretty close to keeper status as well because of his leadership presence on this team. We simply cannot afford to shake up the roster to the degree that we are probably going to shake it up and not have Hayes around leading our new players.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Well, it looks like there is a lot of disagreement here at Clutchfans about how good Nene really is. Some of you think he is a "top 5" center, while others feel he is just an average player who plays weak defense, and will probably walk when his contract is up.

I really don't know what to think of Nene or a possible trade. What concerns me is why aren't the Nuggets a better team? They have Carmello, Nene, Billups, Afflalo, and a number of other pretty good players. When I watch Nene play, I'm always a little dissapointed in what I see. The guy looks big and strong, but I don't think he plays that big. I think he would be a nice upgrade and he would probably make us somewhat better, but how much better, I don't know. I think both Scola and Hayes are better rebounders than Nene, and that just doesn't make sense to me.

It looks like Nene is good for about 15pts and 8rbs, and makes about 11 million per year. I know everyone wants the Rockets to trade for a big man, but is Nene really our guy, I don't know.

15. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I agree with that as a fallback if Nene isn't traded. DeAndre Jordan isn't getting traded and I doubt that the Kings will part with either Cousins or Whiteside. Kaman or Okafor could be had pretty easily.

Kaman for Jared Jeffries and Brad Miller might work. The Clippers lower their cost for next year and trade Kaman's 12.2M contract for Brad Miller's much smaller contract to backup Jordan.

The Rockets get Kaman (still only 28) for one more year at 12.2M to guard the paint. If he regains form from last year, he would improve their low post offense and rim protection.

Kaman's no stud, but may be the best available center if Nene doesn't get traded.

New Orleans is sliding now, but still comfortably in the playoff hunt. I'm not sure they would trade Okafor and his terrible contract for the same expiring + trash package (Jeffries + Miller). That trade would likely knock them out of the playoffs and piss off Chris Paul. The Hornets will probably lose David West next year, so this is their shot.

16. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

NENE is a beast !!!
    If people on here ever stop being "homers" and actually watch games other than when the rockets play, they will easilly see that Nene is one of the top 5 C's in the league and exactly the type of player that DM seems to love to target.

Contrary to what seems to be ignorant and popular belief around here, NENE is exactly the type of "2-way" player with "upside" that this team needs. This is why he probly is the rockets biggest or second target...

1.) He is exactly the type of EFFICIENT player that DM targets. (ie- Martin & Lee)
    He has a high TS%
    He is now shooting abot 77% at the line
    He gets eay baskets around the rim

2.) He is a 7 foot veteran CENTER
    Can't teach size and cant WIN without it
    He is not OLD like Miller (who has 0 upside)
    He is not a project that you may get little to nothing from on a consistant basis

3.) He is a 2 way player
    He will not get dominated or exposed on either end of the court
    You can leave him on the floor for both offensive and defensive purposes
    He has an acceptable array of efficient moves in the post
    Can hit a mid range jumper
    He is NOT SOFT and plays HARD with intensity like we already play
    He challenges/changes/contests a lot of shots
    Teams will not walk the ball to the rim every play like they do now

4.) He is LOW RISK
    There is a HIGH probability he resigns...we would have his Bird rights and the new CBA will affect player decision making
    You know what you are getting instead of waiting on unproven young players or picks

The Anthony Randolph side of things...
    I like his game and he would be a good player to take a flyer on like we did with Jordan Hill. I think his talents would allow us to run more, keep size on the floor, create matchup problems, increase shotblocking, and intensity. I would like to see him grow into a 3/4 type of player that grows into a Odom/Josh Smith type of player. He definately has the raw skills to do so. The question is his heart, dedication, work ethic and IQ on a level that will put him in a position to reach his potential. Our coaching staff and more importantly, our "play-hard team" environment would likely do wonders for his progression and career. He has not exactly been on teams or with coaching staffs that promote and maintain professionalism, toughness, and heart.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Watch the games. Nene is a 5, he's a legit 5. And he's very strong, bulky, and he's got a tremendous skill set. Howard, and possibly Lopez and Bogut in the East. And Gasol in the West, if you consider him a 5. You may want to put Okafor and Chandler in the discussion in the West and then possibly Cousins with his potential. But that's about it as far as big 5s that are better or as good as Nene or almost as good as Nene.

Surely if Nene is here, he gets a couple more shots per game than he does in Denver??? Especially if Scola is gone??? Now, run those numbers. Nene is very, very good.

18. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Can somebody who has time, research how Nene did against top Centers and Power Fowards? I want to see how his defense is while playing against a top legit big man.

19. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

I agree with most of this except that MILLER should be the odd man out. He would be useless with all that talent. I would hate to trade Scola for what he gives on the offensive end and for the infectious heart that he plays with every night. He is a worker and helps define the culture of the team. You want to keep guys like that around. Barkley and Kenny Smith have always said that you need "pit bulls" on every team to compete and win tough games and in the playoffs. Scola, Lowry and occasionally Hayes (by the way he defends and his effort) are our pit bulls without question.

20. Omega Red

Omega Red Member

RIGHT....Funny how he was activated the game before all the the league GM's are gonna converge in LA, hell Dallas even trotted out Roddy B. so you know they are gonna be makin a push for melo...