1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Houston offering young talent + picks for Nene

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 17, 2011.

1. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

That's probably because Nene can't create his own shot. If you ask him to, you will most likely see Ariza part 2.

2. herro

herro Member

We shouldn't overpay for Nene. He doesn't provide a legitimate defensive presence that would be necessary to start this rebuild. We need to look at younger guys with more upside and package players together.

Pilfer Memphis, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minney, Sacramento

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

my wild card Center acquisition is Kaman..

4. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

If you believe that core can win a championship, then we must agree to disagree. I think we need to trade KM and Scola because of their deficiencies on defense. I do not see us winning with them as much as I love Scola's heart and Kmart's efficiency on offense.

I would rather get the ball rolling on a youth movement then watch a bunch of old guys not win anything in 3-5 years. I guess if we get a superstar/borderline star by the deadline, then that is different. If we can't nail both, then I view Nene as a bandaid, that keeps us in purgatory.

5. ericdwj

ericdwj Member

But we cant stop anybody...hence the problem stays the same. your logic is like rearranging the chairs on the titanic. Again the rockets biggest problem is the defense, and if you know basketball 5bpg means the opposing team is limited to jump shots (lower percentage shots).

1 person likes this.
  6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Top 5 center, leads league in shooting and pretty good defensively...no-brainer. JHill, Chase+filler and 2012 pick for Nene sounds fine with me.

On his rebounding, Melo is one of the top rebounding SF which take away some boards from Nene.

1 person likes this.
  7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Agreed. I think we could get him for Jared and Hill if Morey wants him. And I suspect this is a backup plan if one of Morey's other targets (Nene or Gortat) cannot be obtained reasonably.

I can still see the possibilities of us playing with NY to help them acquire Melo. We could take Anthony Randolph and roll them back their pick and we could also use Yao's contract and/or the Ariza TPE to help Denver get under the luxury tax, which would help Denver favor dealing with the Knicks. I think Morey's got this all figured out already. And I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find both Nene and Anthony Randolph are Rockets after Feb 24.

8. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I think is a very quick rush to judgement. The Nuggets have NEVER played any defense under Karl. They're whole defensive scheme is a fail. As for him playing smaller in size, not sure where you got that from. I've seen get the better of centers his size and bigger

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Seems like a lot to give up for a guy that can (and likely will) opt out in a couple of months.

10. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

If we do this move morey has another move up his sleave i am sure.

Prob accquiring a top 3 like wallace or Granger.

I do worry about the team d with NENE....but his on on one d is awesome...that dude really gave yao fits...he manhandles Hilll...and chuck cant stop him...

Hes real similar to hayes in he is real thick so he can push around the taller guys even if they way more....

He does block shots...not at a extremely high rate...but I guess the point is just to have that big body presence and the threat of a block...teams will be more hesitant penetrating...

When we play its ridiculous...basically its a soccer game...running up and down the court attacking the basket like crazy...

Its because there is no one down there they are scared of... One think I like about hill though he has really been working on his shot blocking. Just wish he wasnt so dumb.

11. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I think the bigger problem is a low post presence. Had we had a legitimate low post threat, we'd won the majority of the close games we lost. A shotblocker can always be drafted, but you can't pass up on a highly skilled bigman.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This move is a combination move with the Knicks that I think brings Anthony Randolph and Nene to Houston. Remember players with more upside? We could help both NY get Anthony and Denver get under the luxury tax with our TPE and Yao's contract and by unwinding the 2011 pick switch to NY can send Denver the pick.

And yes, I would suspect there is another move for a two-way small forward up Morey's sleeve as well. And it likely involves either or both of Scola/Brooks in that deal.

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

He won't, with the new CBA reducing contracts I HIGHLY doubt he would risk giving up over 11 million. If we do acquire him, I wouldn't be suprised if we sign him long term.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Big mistake, and it reeks of desperation.

15. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Terrible assessment. Nene can get any shot he wants in the post. Not to mention he has a nice midrange jumper. What have you been watching :confused:

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Whoa !!! Yes !!! Im back from suspension. Im glad to be back before the deadline.

Back to topic. Im not really too keen on NeNe. He seems injury prone. Hughe risk if you ask me. It seems like Morey is willing to bet against injuries with anoither 7 footer.

Face Palm!

17. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

This guy is one of the best centers in league.

People around here be crazy, yo.

18. megastahr

If you make this move...you do everything in your power to get wesley johnson, batum or even josh smith...

Smith is a long shot but the other are prob as well.

I think

Lowry
    Martin
    Smith work him in at the 3 and 4 with bud or t will playing big 3 spot minutes
    Scola
    Nene

Would be sick as you would have the best rebounding team in the nba lol...with 2 guys in the paint that can block a shot.

19. herro

herro Member

I would trade anyone on our roster for Wesley Johnson.

Anyone.

2 of anyone.

20. megastahr

agreed! There is nothing negative about acquiring nene and the only reason we can is cause they are dealing melo.

Are we done NO...but that takes a huge burden off daryl to find that elite player to fit somewhere at the pg sg sf pos