1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Hollingers Top Defensive Players of 2010-2011 2 Rockets Mentioned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tha TC, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-110406

There's the whole article but I'm only going to put the Rockets part on here.

Point Guard:

First team: Kyle Lowry, Houston (minus-7.79). Lowry may be the single most underrated player in basketball right now, and unfortunately we're only going to get to see him for seven more days since it appears the Rockets will miss the playoffs. Quick, tough as nails, with a great nose for the ball and impressive strength against bigger players, Lowry's enormous differential came with a wide variety of different lineup combos throughout the year, making it about as pure a rating as you could hope for.

Center

Honorable mention: As always, this position overwhelms with qualified candidates. Oklahoma City's Kendrick Perkins (minus-4.37) might be the best low-post defender in basketball, but misses the cut because his shot-blocking and rotating aren't quite on par with some of his insanely talented colleagues at the 5. Indiana's Jeff Foster (minus-2.84) can't do it for long anymore, but few players of his size are quicker laterally. One who might be is Denver's Nene (minus-2.20). His quickness for his size makes him an elite pick-and-roll defender, but he can't jump and picks up too many touch fouls. And the list goes on. Houston's Chuck Hayes (minus-2.26) is great for 6-foot-6, but as with Grant Hill we can't grade on a curve. Cleveland's Anderson Varejao (minus-3.64) is awesome but played only 31 games. The plus-minus stats of the Thunder's Nick Collison (minus-5.70) are once again too dramatic to ignore, as is his penchant for drawing charges. More snubs? We got 'em. Sacramento's Samuel Dalembert (minus-1.40) had some spectacular games defending scorers in the low post. Chicago's Joakim Noah (plus-4.57) has a bad plus-minus because equally great defenders came in the game behind him. Tyson Chandler (minus-3.67)? No, didn't even have room for him, despite the undeniable impact he's made in the middle for this Dallas team. And you know it's crowded when I can't even find room for my guy, my favorite defender to watch in the whole league -- unheralded Bulls rookie Omer Asik (minus-10.49), and yes, that says minus 10. Watch this kid play D during the postseason. He's going to be in the top two at this position before long.

Lock if posted already

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And we see why Morey was looking to acquire Asik.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

looks like the bulls wanted more than courtney lee. plus there is no guarantee that he would be as effective if given larger minutes against starter-level talent, rather than playing less minutes against the second unit.

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Last night Bill also mentioned that Lowry has the best assist/TO ratio in the NBA. We have one of the top PG's in the league!

5. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Can someone post all the players that made each team? Please and thank you!

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

He's actually like 5th or 6th but assists mean nothing to an individual in this offense.

7. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Here is the whole article:

1 person likes this.
  8. zooch

zooch Member

DARYL MOREY, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE GO GET SOME OF THESE DUDES IN THE OFF-SEASON, WE NEED THEM. THANK YOU.

9. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Thanks, HotRocket. I was wondering how Lowry was rated above Rondo, who’s been known as the most elite defender at his position, and his inconsistency this season answers it. That’s a really impressive stat by Lowry. I really hope he gets an actual all-defensive team honor, but coaches will probably vote for other guards on playoff teams.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No Shane Battier mention.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry: the Advanced Stats All-Star.

12. zooch

zooch Member

All 3 of these Centers are unrestricted free-agents this summer.

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Does anyone have a link to the entire article? I'd like to see the honorable mentions for the other positions.

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

You guys think Lowry has legit chance to get on one of those All-Defensive teams?

15. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

wow I knew Lowry was good. (used to burn us all the time when with Memphis) but didn't know he was THIS good. Congrats to Kyle!

16. Little Ray

Little Ray Member

We have some scrappy players...lots of heart !

17. OkayAyeReloaded

This reassures me how much a defensive center changes the game for your team defensive rankings and overall team defense. (which is why Yao usually had us in the top 10 defensively during his healthy years)

A two way SF and Dwight Howard are the two pieces that would transform us into contender, and challenge for the #1 seed in the west.

I think a defensive center alone would make us a 7th or more seed, a center and a two way SF would make us a 5-6th seed, and Howard alone would put us in the top 1-4 seeds I think.

This team is close, if we can fill either postion throught the draft or FA I think we'll be in the playoffs next year. If we fill both, we can finally do some damage I think.

18. gah

gah Member

Asik could become the one that got away, especially since C Lee was soaring at the deadline but seems to have gotten back to earth down this stretch.

Surprised to see no mention of D'Andre Jordan and McGee given their big ape features, I think they'd do better on more veteran teams (Like ours)

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

any rockets mentioned in todays per diem about most improved players?

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lowry has had a great year this year, but he's an average defender at best. He reaches way more than he use to and cant get off a pick any more. I dont know if it has anything to do with the extra offensive burden he's taken on or what. He cant keep guys in front of him anymore.