1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Heat Suspend Alston for Season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ASidd_1990, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Damn, pretty classless move by the Heat, especially after his family issues.
    Hope he comes back to the NBA next season

2. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

anyways if miami misses playoffs, 8th seed as of now, its no big deal

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As an adult, you are required to inform the people you work for that you aren't going to be there. While I feel bad for Rafer having an ill family member, all it took was a simple phone call or, better still, walking into the GM's office and telling him what was going on and what you felt you had to do. I'm finding it difficult to believe that he couldn't manage to do that, if that's what his problem was.

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

They probably just don't want to pay him for the remainder of the season. The Heat are a luxury tax paying team, and at this point in the season, they can't cut him or anything without paying him the remainder of his salary.

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I still think he is better PG than Arroyo or Chalmers.

He has playoff experience and brings so much to the table.

6. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Let's see, last year we had Airballston and TSlack as our starting one and two.

Rafer Airballston can't even play backup on even the worst of teams.
    TSlack is stinking it up and making the Knicks much worse (if one can even imagine that).

No wonder we got so much better once TSlack called it quits and Airballston got sent away.

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Umm? He actually contributed on a Finals caliber team in the Magic. If Nelson hadn't came back and destroyed team chemistry in the Finals, the Magic woulda one. Alston stepped up in the Magic series against the Celtics.

Get ur facts straight, brah!

Alston actually has proven to be clutch at certain times.

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I definitely agree. I think the magic would have been better off with Alston starting in the finals than Nelson. Alston was a huge part of the Magic success in last years playoffs.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll add that Rafer still hasn't contacted the Heat about his departure. How many days has he had to make the phone call? The notion this is completely about his sister is nonsense. Obviously Rafer took the benching personal and wasn't man-enough to handle it well. I think he's using his sister's illness as a crutch (excuse) to leave the team in such a jerky manner. He clearly is holding a grudge against the Heat.

1 person likes this.
  10. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Nah, its the principle....In agreeance with Deckard, Anyone that you work for, no matter what the job is....that's unacceptable.

I know he probably signed for the minimum or something cause of the Nets buying him out, but if he plans on playing for a N.B.A team next season that was a bad move.

I'd be on the bench stopping every peanut man, hotdog, juice man........

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I was dancing around coming out and just saying that. It's pretty bizarre that Alston's career has played out this way, post-Rockets. One has to at least wonder if another team will take a flyer on him after this, especially as a potential starter. Rafer may have burned his bridges as a starter for an NBA team. Who would want the possible disruption in team chemistry, if a role change might produce a reaction like this?

Rafer may end up being what I always thought of him as being... an excellent backup point, nothing more.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It's kind of like T-Mac not notifying the team that he would have surgery. You tell your employer whats going on, and you look forward to next year. Instead you end up playing for a crappy Knicks team. I'm hoping Rafer meets the same fate, just so we can move up the draft board.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What Rafer did here is much worse than McGrady last year. 1. Rafer was actually on the team. 2. It's later in the season. 3. Rafer's team is in the middle of a heated playoff race 4. He abandoned the Heat without notice and STILL hasn't contacted them. Lastly, 5. Rafer is using his ill sister as a crutch to justify himself going AWOL, which I think is very despicable. The Heat have done nothing "classless" here at all. That is Rafer's role in this mess.

Skip to my Lou won't be in the NBA next season. He's pretty much good for nothing at this point.

14. FFz

FFz Member

They should just cut him and let him play for another playoff contending team... what a dick move.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rafer got what he deserved....whining about losing his job, then dissappearing, come on.......

I am sure he was worried about his sister, but to not tell the organization....

Rafer knew exactly what he was doing, he is not stupid.

Not surprised.

What will be surprising is to see if he gets another contract...

DD

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I seriously can't believe Morey turned this guy into a younger, cheaper, superior Kyle Lowry.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

He's not eligible for the playoffs anyway if they cut him and let him go to another team.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Considering that's how his career played out, pre-Rockets, it doesn't seem so bizarre to me.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, come to think of it. His years with the Rockets was the best behaved time in his career.

20. amaru

amaru Member

It could have all been avoided w/ only one phone call.