1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Didn't seem like he said it in a negative way. Kind of seems like he just said the comment without really thinking about it. Everyone makes mistakes like that once in a while. The headline on ESPN.com is a different story on the fact that it has to get approved to be put online. The punishment for that is right IMO.

3. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

how do people not know what is acceptable if you never point it out? it isn't just a bunch of drunk guys sitting around having a laugh while spouting off racial epithets to each other (which btw i have actually hurt a white friends feelings by overdoing the "cracker a$$ cracka" comment and realized i was wrong only after he expressed that it bothered him).

it's a national media outlet and careless mistakes like the espn headline need to reprimanded. has nothing to do with how "big" you are. it has to
    do with the american society maturing and growing past this fox news attitude.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really doubt the headline writer realized that "chink in ones armor" was anything but innocent. It's a common expression for vulnerability in something very strong. And the writer of the headline might have innocently missed the double meaning.

5. Asian Sensation

:rolleyes:

6. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I might believe that if 99% of ESPN's negative headlines weren't made up of snarky puns.

No other headline has had "chink in the armor" in it except once in the Beijing Olympics. And the first negative story Jeremy Lin is involved has the headline.

And let me reiterate, once again, ESPN's awful fascination with puns and double meanings.

It was absolutely intentional. Whether or not the headline writer knew chink was an offensive term or for some stupid reason thought it was an acceptable thing to call an Asian person is a different matter.

Steve Kerr called Yao Ming a "chinaman" and was genuinely shocked that it was not appropriate, for instance.

But to believe that the headline writer did not know of the double meaning is just willful ignorance.

7. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

You are a moron to the highest degree. I deeply feel sorry for your mommy who has breed a moron like you.

8. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Can you say irony?

9. tksense

tksense Member

I don't think this is a big deal at all, especially as the phrase can pass as a fitting and common expression.

But you cannot forget is that there are racist dickheads who work in ESPN for that matter, I still remember reading ridiculously racist game recap drafts that come out immediately after games of Yao's first 2-3 years, only to have the article finished and toned down completely as the final version.

This happened everytime! Anyone noticed it or remember?

What Yao faced back then was nothing compared to stuffs you hear today. I'm really glad for our future as more stereotypes are to be busted.

10. tksense

tksense Member

I meant the stuffs today is nothing compared to the **** Yao faced back then. hear me?

11. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

No irony. Everyone can take the fact in my post at its face value. Your take? Let's discuss.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Lin grew up in the US. I bet he has been facing hundreds times more racism than Yao since his childhood.

13. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

I think it's that you misspelled "breed" in your previous post while calling someone a moron. The past tense is "bred". To be fair, I had to google it... :(

14. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

I noticed the typo right after I submitted the post. Does couple of d's think I should make another post just to correct the typo? He is the real moron if he thinks that's what I should have done.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he grew up in san francisco (in one of the highest asian demographics in america...) and went to college in cambridge, mass, not exactly places where racism runs rampant.

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Actually San Francisco and Massachusetts are among the most racist places in the U.S. in my experience.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

against Asian-Americans at least.

18. esteban

esteban Member

This is proof that liberals are a bunch of closet bigots.

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

And hear I thought they were bastions of equality and tolerance.

20. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

Further evidence that the US has not yet matured beyond it's ignorant, racist ways
    [​IMG]