1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

you would agree african americans should have endured about the n word?

2. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Glad someone got fired for this. Not that I wish ill on that person and his/her ability to provide, but because an example needed to be made and I hope things like this won't happen again.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. blink

blink Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Because doing nothing is not fighting.

6. blink

blink Contributing Member

i dont think you can call what i do nothing but that's just a difference in opinion.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Good stuff.

Wished they would name the individuals instead. Possibly post a picture of them for a more comedic effect and possibly making sure they'd never work again in the same field.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

They probably never even fired the guy and just claimed they did

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Here's the espnnews one.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g8R-EIhJkO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The ESPN News anchor shouldn't have been suspended. It looked completely unintentional to me.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah, agreed. The headline was totally ridiculous, but the anchor didn't really even seem to notice he was saying anything bad. Probably careless.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Regardless of intention, I think ESPN has no choice in firing him to save face. Fortunately for him though, although he may never work for ESPN again, people will probably forget about him in a few months. There are many other networks that will hire him. Plus he's learned his lesson.

13. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

His asian wife probably saved his job. If he was married to some white girl he would have been axed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. AB423

AB423 Member

LOL that is brilliant! I'm Asian and I don't think he should get in trouble for that.

15. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

That's because you're a banana.

16. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I have to say, I find this whole Jeremy Lin thing intriguing and yet I'm internally conflicted as well. If you're a fan of NBA basketball his story is interesting and a reason to spark conversation/debate. If you're an Asian his story is interesting and definitely a reason to debate. If you're a Christian his story is interesting and when does religion not spark debate?

I happen to be all three and the discussions I've had with people in each of these groups is....interesting to say the least. It's hard to find someone who doesn't have an opinion to share/argue about on any three of those topics.

From the Asian perspective, the story of Jeremy Lin is inspiring because it places a presence of an ethnicity and culture that has never been on the NBA stage before. (I make a cultural distinction between being Asian and Asian American). Given this new presence, it's not surprising that issues and social mishaps like this occur. People might not have known how offensive and inappropriate the slur "chink" is, but after this happening on a national level, they do now (at least more so).

I am slightly offended by the use of the word, but more so disappointed that it wasn't obvious before in mainstream media that it was offensive. But the upside is that with Lin's thrust into media attention, and the subsequent attention to how people talk about him, people will become more educated. I mean look at the threads on CF? None of us were talking about this a month ago....certainly not in the Dish or Garm at least.

In terms of whether one should just ignore a racial slur or not let an ethnic/racial slur bother him/her; In my mind it's not so much an issue of ignoring or not letting it bother me. If I don't say something, then I do my fellow neighbor and society as a whole a disservice by remaining silent on an issue of right and wrong, which to me is equally just as bad as saying the slur myself.

You can try to take away the racial connotation of a word by minimizing it's impact and normalizing it as common everyday usage, but you still haven't dealt with core of the problem which is the discrimination in the heart of the person using it.

17. dback816

dback816 Member

This part is completely unnecessary to the point you're trying to make (he shouldn't get in trouble) and only serves to make you sound juvenile..

18. VanityHalfBlack

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know you were speaking on behalf of the whole Asian Community now that I know it's all better now, lol...

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It wouldn't be a big deal if not for the timing. Not many Asian Americans in pro sports, so Lin is a novelty that people can't handle right now. He's gonna get these kind of licks until more Asian pro athletes pop up.

No way. The civil rights movements paved the way for other minorities like Hispanics and Asians.

Their fight was our fight. Civil rights by blacks, hispanics and Native Americans is an interesting read. If you're an Asian American (or any other American), it's also your history.

It's easy to compare differing levels of injustice when that injustice happens to fit your viewpoint, but elevating it above others continues the cycle of inequality that we are calling out against.

20. heartofachamp34

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mV1LWhNpTJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>