1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Greatest Shooting Guards Ever, Drexler #6

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MR. MEOWGI, Mar 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

drexler should be higher. stats-wise, iverson is better. but drexler had more of an impact on both ends. plus, he went to the finals THREE TIMES and won one.

tmac will be on that list when he retires (could be MUCH higher if he wins a few rings)

guys like reggie, dumars... are nowhere near his league. but they have had success in the playoffs so u can't argue that point.

3. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

In fact, Reggie went to one NBA Final and never won a championship ...

4. t_mac1

but reggie was as one-dimensional as you can get. he's a clutch version of peja stojakovic. he didn't make others better. he wasn't a defender. he wasn't a playmaker.

that's why the bottom 4-5 can easily be replaced with guys like tmac/wade in the future.

dumars?? are u kidding me? he was a glorified role player.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Reggie Miller being that high up (or even on the list) is a bit confusing.

The good news is that Steve Novak might be able to end his career as a top 10 SG of all time!!!

6. thesaint

thesaint Member

I think they didnt list tmac because they consider him as a small forward rather than a guard or atleast i hope so.

7. t_mac1

he's listed as a guard. he got some votes from the guys who didn't make it. even wade got more votes than him (b/c of the championship).

but that's going to be the case. if tmac wins, he will skyrocket up that list. he has accomplished so much individually, only a ring will suffice.

8. FFz

FFz Member

IVERSON??? are you kiddin gme? iverson hasn't won spit besides indivitual awards.

9. jboslett

jboslett Member

Didn't Oscar Robertson play shooting guard?

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought Iverson was a point guard?

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd easily take drexler over iverson. not sure about gervin since i didn't see him.

12. eatsleepdrink

eatsleepdrink Member

Until Tmac got his team deep in playoff, every voter is going to look at him with skeptical eyes. If Rox got the same first round exit this season, I'm pretty sure he would be absolutely destroyed on this board even he scored 40ppg. It takes a while to change your image.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i think it's a solid list. Some of you don't know Dumars..

AI over Drexler is a stretch. But those of you saying Drexler b/c he did it at both ends? Are you kidding? AI has always gone all-out on the defensive end too. He just needed a bigger PG next to him so that he could guard the quicker PG's

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Dumars was more than a role player in my opinion. If you say that about him, say the same about James Worthy.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The list is shaky at best. I hate to argue for players of different eras (i believe that players are bigger/faster/stronger and better than ever before, its an issue that probably deserves its own thread but I can't make them) but i think Clyde was better than AI because he was a more efficient player and is definately more of a winner. I would also argue that Reggie Miller should be mentioned anywhere near this list. There might be 4 or 5 SG better than him playing today.

Its obvious the list is skewed towards big time playoff performers.

You know if all of these older players were in the league currently some people would be surprised at how much better players are now.

16. t_mac1

1) dumars was never a star. he made the all-star team sure, but he was never a star, a team's go-to guy. he never had the pressure to carry a team nor the pressure to carry the load. he was one of the best perimeter defenders though.

2) iverson gambling for steals is NOT defense. don't let that stat fools you. he NEVER goes all out on that end. watch how he plays defense even in philly. he's one of the worst defenders in teh L b/c he never let his man stay in front of him. you will get 2-3 steals if you gamble on every defensive possession. that's not defense. but he is the best small guy i have ever seen played though.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's already a thread in the NBA section.Let's merge these bad boys.

18. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I SOOOOOO agree with you on the second part. He and Kidd are good gamblers, but not the best man-to-man defenders, especially when Iverson plays the two position. There's a fine line between good gamblers and lazy defense (Tmac's preferred defense)

19. t_mac1

tmac does not gamble much. you saw yesterday that jefferson kinda irritated him when he fouled him hard earlier in the game and he shut him down after that. his lateral quickness is highly underrated and his long arms make it impossible to shoot over him without a screen.

kidd is a great man defender. kidd rarely gambles. he's one of the best perimeter defenders in our league in this past decade. he's strong; quick; and smart. i don't know how you can clump him with iverson.

20. Coca Cola Scola

Reggie Miller may have been one dimensional---but he was pretty dam amazing at THAT ONE DIMENSION. He was as clutch as they come and he's miles above a Peja. Peja kind of chokes....Miller will kill you and loves putting the dagger in opponents. I loved watched Miller at Madison square garden especially when he shot that 3, stole the ball and hit another 3. Miller deserves to be on that list where he is. I have no problem with Iverson being put where is...he's pretty amazing, but I'm not sure what his position is. Is he really a 2 guard? He really defies being categorized in those boxes. Drexler is a traditional two guard and probably deserves to be higher...but I can see why Iverson would be put so high...that guy is supremely talented and gutsy.