1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN:Ford] Artest Speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Dec 28, 2005.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I know that Chad Ford is practically flamebait around here, but it's still an interesting read.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=ford_chad#20051228

I love Luther and all, but I would think long and hard about a deal that could possibly net us Fred Jones and Odom/Dre Miller.

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If Artest can really significantly make our team better then I say trade anyone except Yao Mcgrady and Deke for him. The future is definitely now and I'm pretty sure most of us who were so hyped up this passed offseason are feeling the same way. Right now I don't know who would take anything we have on our lineup but if there is a chance then there is no reason why we shouldn't pull the trigger. Get it done CD and JVG and GET IT DONE NOW! Our two stars are young but not that young.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow....

Is it a good thing or a bad thing to have Artest on this team?

Good - talent that can help Yao and McGrady become that 3rd scorer.
    Bad - another Terrell Owens? :mad:

Can we handle that? :confused:

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I would do any of those deals in a heartbeat. Except the Sirbiatch one. If the Rockets are going to make playoffs they have to do something.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If we get Johnson and Jones with Artest, I wouldn't even hesitate giving up Head and a first rounder.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I love to get Andre Miller.

7. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

when was JVG a big time coach? that's the most interesting part of the piece.....

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

JVG took the knicks to the finals from the 8th seed. plus no team he has coached has missed the playoffs. he might play ugly ball or whatever, no there is no denying that he is an elite coach.

9. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Head hasnt been taht amazing lately. I thought it was a drought, but it isnt, he just had a really hot start. Both Yao and TMac are in their primes, we should look for no less than the title. The rockets have to make a big move, get a differancce maker. Artest may be that guy, may not, i say take the chance. These small role players who do scratch work are just not getting the job done.

Dawson has been making bad signings. He got Head, and a lot of FAs, but the right ones? If you look at the guys he brings in, a lot of them are misfits. How will Stro succeed in our half court or even SAR who is identical to howard?

JVG's gameplan is not winning the rockets games. Too many players have failed to adapt to his defensive scheme and he doesnt look like he is taking TMac and Yao in teh right direction.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Didn't Chad Ford resign to teach at a university?

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

wow...jvg is an very good coach , but not elite. He is in the same realm as Rick Adleman or even Don Nelson.

JVG: he is a good coach , but he is going to have to make some changes in his offensive plans . If we make these trades what is the point of keepin the same INEPT plays?

Artest: best upside, worst downside. He and Ron Artest would have to sit by themselves in a office. and discuss what they want for each other. if they dont agree 100% (99.99% wont work!!!!) then dont do the trade.

Lamar Odom: no heart

Andre Miller: excellent choice, I would prefer Mike Bibby instead.

Fred Jones: good choice

Johnson: average choice

12. ubigred

JVG...he has the defense down. However, the offense is not gettin it done. We have TMAC and Yao Ming this is not acceptable. AT ALL.

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

He just cut back on his workload. Instead of 2-3 articles a week and weekly chats, he does a blog once a week, and some coverage on the draft.

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

The offense was getting it done when both Tmac and Yao were playing. It was not getting it done only when one of them was out.

15. askball

askball Member

you know if the Rockets some how pulled off some blockbuster with the pacers and landed artest, coupled with yao having about two months off and hopefully no ill effects on his game from his surgery, the rockets would steamroll toward the playoffs. t-mac healthy, yao healthy and with extra rest, and then you add artest to the mix, i see a 2004 denver finish in these rockets. artest brings everything we are missing with sura and a bit of offense to boot ;)
    artest could be that spark that gets the rockets rollin. when stro puts up 26 and 13, t-mac throws in 38 and you still lose to the hornets (granted we have a lot of injuries), it's time for the rockets to take the chance. i know this is all speculation but if they're willing to throw in johnson (he could be our backup pg) and jones (energy and scoring punch off the bench) this is the deal of the century for the rockets. and this isn't horrible for the pacers either if they choose the route of cutting salary. they're some names out there in the 2006 free agency that could help them out immensely...ben wallace, peja, harrington, etc...
    sorry for ranting

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

now he's had his article published. it ain't happening.

17. dream2franchise

Ron has made it clear that he will leave whichever team he gets traded to when he is a free agent. This isn't so bad though, i think CD needs to sit artest down and tell him, 'you give us 100% as long as you are a Rocket. no BS, no distractions. You give us everything as a player and we will honour your request to leave...through a sign and trade'. This way we get something in return and in the short term he helps us win. Tmac and Yao are ready now...we need quick fixes.

I still kinda like our team the way it is though. I just wish we were healthy.
    Quick question, i didn't watch the game..how did Stro get 26 points? were they put packs? post moves? fast break? i can't believe he bagged 26! Keep it comin'!

18. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<a href="http://denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_3349078"><font size="+1">Denver Post: Artest Doesn't Dismiss Denver</a></font>

By Marc J. Spears, Denver Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, December 28, 2005 Denver, CO

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest has accepted he is going to be traded but says he has no preference where. If he ends up being dealt to the Nuggets, he isn't expected to have a problem coming to Colorado.

A deal for Artest could include as many as four teams, and the Nuggets' injured forward-center Nene is expected to be a part of any Denver deal.

Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, said a deal is expected "sometime at the end of this week." The Nuggets have acknowledged interest and have been talking regularly to Pacers CEO and president Donnie Walsh.

"I've been to Denver before. It has nice scenery," Artest said Tuesday. "I really don't have a comment on the rumors. It's not my place. I like Carmelo (Anthony). I'm cool with (Marcus) Camby. I like a lot of their players.

"As of right now, I'm still a Pacer. I'm always going to have tremendous respect for Donnie."

Artest was an all-star and the league's defensive player of the year in 2004. The 6-foot-7, 246-pounder was suspended 73 games by the league for his involvement in a fight with fans last season. He is averaging 19.4 points and 4.9 rebounds this season, but he has been suspended indefinitely by the Pacers and hasn't played since Dec. 6 against Dallas.

Despite his baggage, Artest is considered one of the NBA's top players.

"I'm not disappointed," Artest said. "Things happen in people's lives.

"Nothing is perfect. Life is life."

Artest expressed remorse for past decisions, saying he has made "100 mistakes" and is hoping for a better future. Although Artest has recanted statements that he wants to be traded, the Pacers still plan on moving him.

While Artest's actions in Detroit received much attention, he's taking a different approach.

"I'm going to do whatever I have to do," he said, "fight in a positive way. Fight to win."

Artest seems willing to accept his fate in a trade, wherever it may send him.

"It's really up to Donnie," Artest said. "I'm a team player. I'll do what's best for the Pacers' organization, whatever Donnie wants to do. I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh. "Sometimes it's best to move on. I love Indiana. But the process is good right now. ... If Donnie sends me to Denver, that's where he sends me."

Nene isn't giving much weight to the rumors.

"I'm thinking about my legs," Nene said. "I'm focusing on my legs, body and health. That is what I'm thinking of. Not the rumors, I can't stop that.

"It doesn't make me nervous. I don't think about it."

Nene has been out since suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the Nuggets' season opener Nov. 1 at San Antonio. He said the swelling is down but he still has pain and it is too early to say if he could return this season.

The fourth-year Nugget will be a restricted free agent next offseason and hopes to re-sign with Denver.

"I want to stay here," Nene said. "I've got friends here, fans, the organization. But you know the NBA. It's a business."

Despite the Artest trade rumors that have also included Denver guard Earl Watson, Nuggets players say it has not affected their team.

"It's not reality right now," guard Andre Miller said. "It's just a bunch of rumors. ... Normally you'd think we would talk about it. But we haven't been."

19. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Carlisle is WAY more conservative on offense then JVG, which is saying something.

20. ubigred

We would get swept by the Spurs.