1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Dwight Howard Reportedly Attracted to Omer Asik as a Front Court Partner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 29, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130529/early-look-nba-offseason-storylines

Can such a marriage work with the two of them having similar skill sets and physical equipments?

On offense, would the two guys with limited range clog the paint for penetrators and cause Rockets players to cross swords on the way to the basket?

On defense, both guys have plus quickness for their size and good defensive smarts so I think they can be successful.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would have assumed he would have been way more attracted to play with Patterson. But what do I know?

1 person likes this.
  4. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I don't know man. Could it work? Someone with some extensive basketball knowledge could probably help out here.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

All your rebounds are belong to me.

3 people like this.
  6. basketballholic

Rotation rotation rotation.

There's 96 big man minutes to fill every game. Dwight and Asik get 60. They probably play together for 10-12 minutes a game max. Because when one of them is one the bench, you definitely want the other one on the floor. There's still 36 minutes left. Plenty of time to go small, spread it out, get another floor spreading 4, etc.

If they started together, they play about 6 minutes in the first quarter before one of them gets a break, then they alternate for the rest of the half. Second half same thing, with the possibility of playing them together defensively down the stretch in close half-court matchups.

2 people like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Sounds great. Where do I sign up??

8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Hell yeah! Combined they'll shoot 100% from the line!!

3 people like this.
  9. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I mean, it sounds tantalizing in theory. I mean, we'd be controlling the boards every night! We'd have two defensive anchors and legit 7'0 footers.

We'd run into problems against stretch fours, though.

How would we build up our bench? Assuming we keep both Lin and Asik, and decline all options except for Beast Bev.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Opposing offenses beware.

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Well, let's not pretend that Dwight Howard thinking something will work means it will work. This is the man who got 4 times as many post touches as pick and roll touches, scored on 41% of his post touches (120th in the league) and 69% of his pick and roll touches (top 10), and then whined that he was getting too many pick and roll touches and not enough post touches.

1 person likes this.
  12. OTMax

OTMax Member

I would love the idea of starting Dwight and Asik, but no way Morey and thus Mchale will roll with that. Offense is no problem with Dwight being the one we give the ball and Asik can work off the ball: set screens and get in position for the offensive rebound or potential layup / dunk if Dwight passes it off. Kind of like OT who also wasn't a jump shooter and always hung around the basket and set screens for others.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Who cares. It's not a good fit to have both of them, and it would be too big a risk to wait and see if they fit. Omer's value is sky high right now.

If we were to get Dwight, we would be stupid to hold on to a $7-8m backup given we have a hole at PF and backup SG/SF. Greg Smith is good enough to be Dwight's backup.

Having said that, I am 100% certain Dwight is not basing his decision on whether there is a good backup C on his team. I'm pretty sure this is completely made up. If it's not made up, let's pass on him. The last thing we need is a guy looking for someone else to do the hard work inside, dictating roster moves and making huge decisions based on idiotic criteria.

14. basketballholic

Problems with stretch 4's. Look there's gonna be other players on the roster besides those 2. You get a stretch 4 shooting lights out, you put Parsons on him and force him to dribble drive right into the teeth of our defense. Remember the Hakeem days?

By the way, once you have Dwight in the fold, there will be trade opportunities open up as well regarding our young talent. There may still be the possibility of executing a sign and trade for a guy like Paul Millsap. You wanna run a quality stretch 4 defender out on a guy?? You can find defenders to do that.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's an idiot. Most likely we'd have a stretch 4 play heavy minutes.

16. basketballholic

Greg Smith is NOT good enough to be Dwight's backup. Not if you're planning on winning a ring. Smith is a defensive sieve. He can't stop anything. And the only real offensive talent he has is hammering down the finish off the roll. He's simply not a top 3 rotation big on a championship team. He's good for what he's good for. Low salary guy that can give you some easy buckets at the rim. That's it.

17. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

He best not be opposed to the Pick and Roll...

18. rocketblood713

If Rockets some how get Dwight and keep Asik NOONE is getting rebounds lol

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This.

I mean you can blow smoke up his ass to get him here, but definitely don't let him dictate any players to go get or rotations to play.

The guy really seems to be limited in higher level thinking.

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I don't care whether he will be a good fit with Asik. All those questions can be answered at a later time. Right now the focus should be to acquire Howard. Nothing else matters and i am fairly certain the role of Asik has nothing to do with his decision.