1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Draft Special - Anyone See It?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jeff, Apr 11, 2006.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was gonna say this to but it wouldn't have helped me out so I didn't. actually the reason I didn't write it is because the complaints about justice have more to do with his opinion not being based in any reasoning. also the guy changes his opinion seemingly every column.

as far as the chronicle overall, this has a lot to do with the negatives of having one paper in this town. the chronicle rightly or wrongly can be as pro vince as they want, there is not really a viable option.

its the same thing with their political columns.

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

If I specifically wanted the Texans to draft a player...instead of trading down which is what I want....then maybe.

What I want is the Texans to draft as many impact players that will play NOW. Its not that I dont like Vince, he's great...I just think its a bad move for the Texans unless they manage to get a lot of extra talent in the process.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You're assuming we know which player NY wants. They're in an interesting position because they could use any of the top players (Bush, Leinart, VY, Mario, D'Brick). Pennington restructured his contract and they brought in Ramsey so a QB might not be as needed as before.

NO could use defense, but I don't think they would pass on Bush if he somehow fell into their hands.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

McClain's story today wasn't a column. It was supposed to be a news story about the Titans and their interest in VY - or McClain's interest in them taking him.

I'm just a little frustrated by the blurring of the line between news story and opinion. Seems like it has gotten out of hand recently.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my b****ing about him has to do with how quickly his opinion switches...and how he pretends as if it didn't. the jeff kent thing was exhibit "a" for me...on one hand, he told us all that kent should be riding the pine so chris burke could start...and then the next year told us all how cheap drayton was for not re-signing kent. when justice writes, it's clearly his opinion...i just disagree with it. i give him some credit, though, for coming around a bit on the Astros. i guess getting your ass handed to you by them over and over again ultimately leads you there!

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

first of all, why does anyone care about what johnny thinks about Bud Adams' pick. secondly john mclain has written numerous articles about bud adams hating houston for the past 8 years. his whole theory, is bud adams will pick vince in order to spite houston fans.

7. Major

Major Member

I agree with NY - but my point is that they are happy with who they'll have available, so why trade so much to move up when they could fill just as big a need at #4?

In NO's case, if Reggie fell to them, I think they'd try to trade the pick or just take Mario Williams. Having that much money tied up into Duece McAllister and Reggie Bush would destroy that franchise. Most teams don't even like tying up that kind of money in one running back, let alone two.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There are days when I really, seriously hope that VY gets picked by an NFC team like New Orleans or Arizona just so McClain won't be able to write about his stupid, beloved rivalry.

One of the ONLY reasons I was glad to see Hakeem retire and stay away from Houston was so Fran Blinebury would stop writing about the Rockets. That was his only link to the team. Life has been so peaceful not having to read his crap. :D

9. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I guess I just don't understand how much leverage the Texans think that they can get by waiting until the last minute to work out contracts with either Bush or Williams (and yes I meant to omit VY from my statement). I am so ready for the draft.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I guess we're the exception. ;)

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Yep. McClain for Young and Aggy Lopez for Bush.

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Without prejudice, DD's contract is not as heavy as Deuce's. Cutting Deuce in July is not an option either. But I get your point - I am a strong believer that DD can give us what it takes to make the playoffs as well as challenge therein. That is why D'Brick or Super Mario is my choice - if only we can find a team to trade down with.

People who are clamouring for Bush or Young are not being rational imho. I believe sentiments and fools gold is the catalyst of such choices. I am not a Carr fan but with coach Cube and what he was able to accomplish in Denver, I am willing to be optimistic of the current offensive backs.

Just trade down CC. The wisest and most prudent option/choice.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You're kidding yourself if you still think this is Casserley's decision. I think this comes down to what Kubiak and McNair want to do.

15. Fegwu

I agree. But even if he is just the figure head, he is the one who will rubber stamp any deal albeit technically. History will not say anybody else made the transaction other than the GM, Charlie Cass.

But yes I do agree with you - the order of power in the deal is Bob, Cube and the Cass.

Whoever it is that is in charge - just do the right thing - make trading down to nab D'Brick or Super Mario your priority 1, 2 and 3.

16. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

While I would not be adverse to trading down, I have two issues with trading down. First there are LOTS of good to excellent O linemen in this draft, it is extremely deep in this area. My question is: Is D'Brick going to be be head and shoulders better then Winston, McNeil, Colledge, Scott ect... to warrant taking him in the first. Besides, Pitts played very well at LT last year once he switched over. What we need is a RT more than anything. You could certainly say that you could take D'Brick and mover Pitt, I just wonder if he is head and shoulders better than some of the other OLs.

My second issue is that while they struggled as OLBs in the 3-4, I am curious what Babin and Peek can do when they are allowed to attack the QB. These guys (according to G.Walker) were really missused under the last DC. In fact GW said on 610 that Peek was almost unblockable but that Fangio wouldn't let him get after the QB consistently. The new DC was on the radio about a month ago and he said he expected both Babin and Peek to play ver well next season as they are going back to their natural position.

17. Fegwu

You raise good points.

First I believe Ferguson has what it takes be as good as Orlando Pace and possibly better as far as O-linemen is concerned - he has that much potential. But like I heard Jerry Jones say on ESPN last night, nothing is ever guaranteed in sports especially in football - so you never know if D'Brick could reach his projected level of excellenece.

I am not taking GW's words alone here - I still like to believe that a coach who took Carolina Panthers to great heights as an expansion team (even though Fangio was the DC) would know a little more about how to use his players. Peek and Babin have potential imho to be very good but if if if....

We shall see how the powers that be evaluate all these things.

The problem everyone said was the number one problem for our team was centered mostly around the trenches. What is the point then picking Bush or Young when we already have given DD and Carr the financial backing as a reward of what they have accomplished? I heard Kiper say that Bush will only be a 10-15 carries (IIRC) a game back and the reason he is considered the #1 guy is more because of his catching ability. He also said Young will at least be 3 years away from standing out.

We are not that close to contenting to afford that luxury especially when we already have parts in those departments. If we take away the emotional pull of drafting Young or Bush, you will see that there is little reason to draft them - we do not necessarily need any one of them now. Folks in the Bush as well as Young camp are just not looking at things rationally - they are more concerned about beating each other - if you really care about Texans imho, you will see that we do NOT need Bush and/or Young.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think the reasons go something like this:

Reggie Bush
    Dominick Davis has shown that he cannot stay healthy for an entire season. There is no reason to believe that will change. As a result, you have to assume you will need another back to compliment him. Most teams have at least 2 quality runners on staff unless they have a proven commodity at RB who doesn't get injured - LT for example. In addition, many, MANY scouts have said that, compared to ALL other prospects (not just RB's), Bush may be the best player to emerge from college football in 10, 15, 20 years. That kind of dynamic talent is hard to pass up.

Vince Young
    No matter what you have paid David Carr, passing on a franchise-calliber quarterback, a guy some believe will help to re-define the position, is a bad idea if you have a shot at him. Contracts can be traded. Players can be cut. In some ways, Carr having an extension allows Young to learn and, as you said, the Texans are not on the fast track to a Super Bowl, giving him plenty of time to develop. Carr, if he has a good season, could also bring value on the trade market if you decide to send him packing.

Also, an argument could be made for either of them that the Texans need someone to hang the franchise on - a defining player that will be the face of the organization. Right now, they don't have that dynamic presence and it is hard to put a price tag on that.

---

That seems to be the line of reasoning. Granted, football is VERY different from basketball or baseball in that it takes more than one great player to alter the outcome of a season. But, it sure as hell helps if you have one on your team.

19. Fegwu

Fair recap of the points Jeff.

But don't we have Vernand Morency? Maybe I am in the minority but the kid is going to be special or at least he has the makings. Good backup or good back are historically easier to find than good linemen - you can never get enough good linemen and this is the secret behind the successes the Denver Broncos enjoyed for so many years now.

Vince indeed be the greatest QB ever to play in the NFL - he could also be the next Akili Smith. One thing we know is that Carr can give you better than what Rothlisberger gave you in the last SB and what Trent Dilfer ever gave you - that is Carr can win the big one without necessarily being one of the greats. Rosenfels is also a good backup.

We could also land USC's other RB (the one with the hamstring injury) in the second round. Some would say this draft is deep in linemen - that is good - because we need a lot of depth in those areas (D and O).

Our team has never had any problem moving the ball when Carr got good protection in the last 2 years - we just couldn't stop teams consistently and Carr was always running for his life. With good protection and depth on both side of the trenches we have a better chance to win now and win later - we can easily put up 23 (+ or - 2) points per game with this current team.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what do you wanna bet we don't put up 23 ppg next season??