1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Draft Buzz : Rockets using Landry to try to acquire lotto pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Jun 22, 2009.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah i agree, plus dorsey seems capable of at least matching landry's current production...he looks like he'll be able to hit that open J at a decent rate, and we know he can definitely match if not surpass landry's high flying acts, and he should be a better rebounder and shot blocker...i think that may be what convinced houston to keep dorsey around, they probably were hoping Landry could develop into a decent shot blocker and very good rebounder, and he has his moments, but i don't think he can be consistent with it, but dorsey has better instincts on the defensive end and therefore can be consistent

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Landry for a lotto pick?

Where do i sign?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what about dorsey's game in college or practice squad has made you come to the conclusion he can hit an open j at a decent rate?

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I'm thinking this is what it takes to get someone to bite on Tmac! You gotta give them something that is gonna be there game 1. Just a hinch.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

From what i saw in the latest dorsey video update that was posted earlier this month, he's showing he's got solid shooting mechanics. Much better than what it was before. I can't conclude 100% that he'll hit it at a decent rate just from that video, but the biggest problem with big men shooting is mechanics, shaq was too big to learn how to use less arm and more wrist on his shot, Dwight was able to do it somewhat and improved his FT shooting, Dorsey's new and improved stroke looks better than Dwight's so i think i think the chances that he will develop a decent J are much greater now than they were a year ago. He's got the form down, just needs to keep practicing, which i believe he will. I could see him being similar to kevin willis (in his older days around the time he was here or right before, not his younger days when he was an all-star), willis had a solid 15 footer, a nice hook, finished strong, great rebounder, he wasn't a solid shot blocker by then, but that's where i think dorsey can be better...

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't want to lose Landry for an unproven lotto pick...say outside the top players. Landry has been improving every season. I think his ceiling is very high, as an offensive threat that is.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think it's very high because he doesn't have a low post game. He also needs to refine his mid range jumper.He has been productive and has room to get better. I don't want him to be traded for an unproven low lottery pick either. He is playing at a very vital position as well.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Landry's a productive NBA player who has shown flashes of clutchness and refuses to be outworked by anyone. I bet he will play 10 years or more in the league. I like him as a Rocket. If we give him up, it better be for a dead lock cinch.

9. saleem

Dorsey is way behind Carl on offense. He can complement us on rebounding,defense and get a few dunks, but he is very foul prone and just as bad as Chuck on making FT's.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Is Landry going to get any better though? I think he has pretty much capped out.

11. saleem

I think he can if he puts in the work.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

considering Landry can't create his own offense consistently or at all sometimes, i dont see how dorsey could be way behind. Landry has no go to move at all, his footwork is not good in the post, his hook is just ok...... dorsey can match his dunks and finishes right now..landry only has him beat on the jumper, but dorsey is closing is on that. I think his FTs also improved already..

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

A straight up trade may not work, I did not mean to imply that. We still have expiring contracts that can be thrown in with Cook and Barry if need be. Of course it most likely would have to be a team looking to dump

14. saleem

Dunks and finishes yes,but Joey has got to prove it on the court. It's a pity that he got planter fasciitis in both feet and couldn't show us anything. DM was disappointed in his attitude too.I'm glad he is putting in the effort but he has a long way to go. Foul trouble will be Joey's biggest problem,we just can't afford to let Landry go.I do agree with you that Carl has no go to move,he needs to work on that. Both these guys can help us out.

15. saleem

I see what you mean.A dump for a decent 5 is not likely IMO.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

What in the hell is this craziness? :rolleyes:

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

WTF are you talking about? dorsey is closing in on landry's jumpshot? based on what? Dorsey has shown absolutely nothing while Landry has been consistently good to very good. There are plenty of people who have come and gone in this league that have had either more athleticism, more fundamentals, or a greater combination of both than Carl Landry, and yet have failed miserably. Landry has great instincts and tenacity that simply can't be taught. What we know most about Dorsey as a pro is a disappointing work ethic that may or may not have been corrected at this point. Dorsey may end up being better than Landry, I sure don't know, but let's not pretend he's anywhere close right now, and the absolute safer bet is that he doesn't end up nearly as good either.

I'm all for whatever move Morey decides to make, even if it's trading Landry, but I promise you he's not thinking he's got great insurance in Joey Dorsey.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Maybe that trade for Charlie V is back on now...

19. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Add Sessions and a deal could be had.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

choice.

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING AND PLANNING FOR MOREY SHOULD BE DOING.

Landry for New Jersey's 11th pick + Eduardo Najera's 3mil per year contract that runs for another 3 years or Trenton Hassell's 4.5 million expiring contract

and we take Brandon Jennings with the 11th pick.

and then we buy memphis's Orlando's pick for 3 million and select Marcus Thornton

Jennings/Brooks/Lowry

Artest/Wafer/Thornton

Battier/Barry

Scola/Hayes

Yao/Dorsey