1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Draft Buzz : Rockets using Landry to try to acquire lotto pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Jun 22, 2009.

1. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

as mentioned before, we only have 2 very enticing assets. brooks and landry. both are young, dont cost much and efficient offensively. so you use them to make your team better. you arent getting a good pick using barry, dorsey. obviously you wont trade your vets (battier, artest) or your main offensive weapons (yao, scola) for an unknown either.

i believe landry has reached his ceiling. sure, he can probably improve his range all the way to the 3pt line. but it wont be consistent enough to warrant you to use him there all the time. he's no antawn jamison/al harrington. his low post games are mostly dunks. he's too short (arms too) to rely on hook shots and layups. plus, all the teams have scouted him already. he surprised a lot of teams defense for the past 2 years. but i doubt he'd have that advantage anymore. so unless he bulks up, grows taller and can shoot 45% from 18ft out by draft night, id trade him while his stock is high.

im willing to trade him for a pg with height, decent offense and good passing skills. then id trade brooks, tmac and whoever to get amare from the suns.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

First off, when was the last time ford was right? So let me get this straight, 3 yrs ago u wanted no part of ur lotto pick cause u were in win now mode but now u want to trade the only frontcourt player who doest have to pump fake around the rim?

Let ask a question, what would the lakers do? I'm willing to bet, scola would be traded before landry.

3. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

that would be the only reason I would trade him if we could get Amare later cause trading Landry would be basically giving up all the athleticism and power at our frontcourt. Landry is worth more to the team than some unproven rookie in a weak draft class. Lets not forget how good he played against Gasol in the Lakers series. Didn't he have 16pts in a qtr once in that series and was the reason why we were still in the game? :confused: He's too good to to lose.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

OK, take a step back people. Landry makes about 3 million per year. Is there really a player in this draft outside of the top 3 or possibly 4 worthy of 3 mil per? I don't think so. Frankly I think this "buzz" is just that and nothing more.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Its all buzz and speculation until it actually happens. Though there is no hiding it, Morey is trying to aquire a pick.

6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

8th pick is different from a 31st. If you were against trading away the 8th, doesn't mean you should be against trading away a former 31st pick for a lotto pick.

7. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I wouldnt be suprised if the offer is to the Indiana Pacers which is the closest team to Landry's hometown. They have the 13th pick. I have heard him express that was his team growing up and he would love to go there eventually in his career. Might be good for both sides, but at that pick, who do you get....Hmmmmmm.

DeJuan Blair?
    DeRozan?
    Clark?
    Mullens?

In my scenerio, we would possibly be helping out the Knicks to move up to nab either Rubio or Curry, and would be rewarded in return on possibly taking Mcgrady off our hands in a side deal.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This I like much more than getting rid of Brooks

9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I like both Brooks and Lowry. I would hate to lose either one.

10. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

What's up with peoples fascination about Earl Clark. I seen videos of him and he is a long player that can shoot a little and put it on the floor but he isn't stronger than Landry and he's athleticism doesn't seem better than Landry's too. His best cast scenario would probably be a Mavin Williams anyways and I wouldn't take that over Landry at all.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is as good as the low lottery guys, probably even more than some of them.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

In theory yes,but what quality backup PF/C are you going to get for Lowry? Big for small usually doesn't work out.

13. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

They should get a player of equal talent or better. Landry has a lot of potential and is young. He has proven that He can play in the NBA. Lets hope that the player/pick they get would be able to compete and contribute.

14. MONON

MONON Member

He was born in Milwaukee & has a brother that just graduated from Wisconsin. He played for Purdue. He'd probably ok a trade to the Pacers(13), Bucks(10) or Bulls(16 & 26).

15. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I rather not risk losing him and hope for the best after he's gone. :rolleyes:

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the lakers have kobe bryant, who gets the defense scrambling on his own and can pass of well, so they would benefit more from having an athlete who could finish around the gym....then again, scola's not a bad finisher himself, he just doesn't dunk it.....and doesn't Landry get himself in trouble by pump faking too much sometimes :confused: All of our frontcourt players do it, including Yao and except for Deke..

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think Lawson has what lowry has, plus more, so if you like Lowry, you'll love Lawson

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

then maybe he can be traded for a pick? what do you think Lowry is worth, maybe a late first rounder? Use that to pick up a big?

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I've said all along that if we have to part with a rotation player Landry is the guy. He is young and has value to other teams but as a Rocket fan I think he is very close to his ceiling. What bothers me more about him is that he has a lot of trouble with big and/or physical front lines. He is a tough kid but he is missing the nasty streak a guy of his size playing PF needs to reach the next level. His game seems to wilt the first time he gets a dunk blocked or gets bullied for a rebound.

I definitely wouldn't mind keeping him here but I won't lose a wink of sleep if he is moved in order to bring in a player who fills a real weakness like size up front or perimeter shooting.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Landry is perfect coming off the bench...we can't trade him man. We need to get rid of Tmac's ass.