1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Draft Buzz : Rockets using Landry to try to acquire lotto pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Jun 22, 2009.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like a good plan. Draft a good young PG like Lawson or whoever else Morey is courting and then trade Brooks while his value is high in a trade with T-Mac for a bigger piece.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Earl Clark is EXACTLY who I'd be targeting with a late lottery pick if I were Daryl Morey. I would actually compare Clark's size/skills/game to those of Lamar Odom. Say what you will about Odom, but his unique skill set is absolutely tremendous. I think the Rockets have wanted a guy like Odom for the better part of a decade. Clark has a similar "flag" about his competitive fire, but there was a very good article on ESPN.com about Earl Clark today that sheds some light on why that label is perhaps a bit unfair.

I cannot believe that, especially in a relatively weak draft, Clark is much higher up on most teams' draft boards. Other than Griffin and Rubio, there is not a single player in this draft with a higher ceiling than Clark.

While I love Carl Landry, if he could be used to get a guy like Earl Clark, I would definitely be willing to consider such a deal. Other things to think about:

--While Landry will make $3M next year, Clark would make anywhere from between $1.59M (if taken #16) and $1.86M (if taken #13).

--Clark would take Landry's spot in the rotation (backup PF) in a more up-tempo lineup but could also slide over the SF in a "big" lineup.

--There is little pressure for Clark to produce right away, since Scola can easily handle increased minutes next year. Plus, having Chuck Hayes on the roster to compensate for a rookie's lack of defensive prowess is a wonderful luxury for the Rockets.

Of course, this is all conjecture. But I would definitely target Earl Clark with a late lottery pick, even if it cost the Rockets Carl Landry.

3. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I just don't understand why everybody want to trade a young 24 year old point guard that only started HALF THE SEASON and who only is going to get better. With half the season and the playoffs Brooks will improve. Give him a chance :mad: He has weakness but people seem to forgot his strengths.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i wouldn't mind picking up lawson and then trading away Lowry for a back up Pf/c..

5. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I like your analysis :cool:

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Landry is a very good player. No mediocre player is going to have a career TS% of .636 while getting you 16 points and 9 rebounds per 36 minutes. The guy scored some EXTREMLY efficient points for this team. You don't just pick some guy off the waiver wire and count on him to get this kind of production.

But like someone said, you gotta give value to get value. I don't mind giving him up beause the Rockets front office generally seem to know what they are doing with the draft picks. They are not shooting 100% with talent selection, but they are better than your average bear.

Besides, trading Landry bothers me less when considering that his 20 minutes a game are probably going to Scola, Hayes, and maybe a bit of Ron Artest. It's not like Ryan Bowen is taking over these minutes.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

there is no one they could get with one of these picks that is as valuable as Landry. He is the only guy that brings athleticism to the frontcourt, is arguably the 6th man on the team, is cheap, is young.

I would like to see them trade or buy a pick at the end of the first to pick up Ty Lawson

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

If you can upgrade a position, you do it. And its not just me, go bash the GM Daryl Morey who is so in love with this PG class. What does that tell you? Either he is just plain in love with the PGs in this draft and feels that its better than what we have or doesnt feel comfortable going forward with what we have or a combination of both. Who knows, but he isnt making it a secret. He is targeting a lottery PG, or so I think.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Because stupidity reigns over common sense.

DD

10. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I understand... but Brooks could be a great player. I just feel there's no PG in the draft that and upgrade over Brooks. If Morey feels the team needs and upgrade then I guess I'm with it...

IN MOREY WE TRUST!! :D

11. houston19519

houston19519 Member

DD

I'm wondering whats your opinion on trading Landry?

If so who for...

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hah at least we can agree on one thing. Whatever moves happen, you know Morey did it for one reason or another. But who knows, Morey may have something up his sleeve that leads to something else? Or as another poster mentioned, we may go C or PF. We just have to take the wait and see approach!

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Aside from needing a backup center, our most pressing need is SG. I'm puzzled that no one has mentioned DeMar DeRozan. Afterall, we can't have enough straight-shooting DDs. :D

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Come'n, you don't trade 2nd round shockers for a 2nd round hopeful.

15. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I think he means number 2 overall

16. hjg877

hjg877 Member

I was tempted to start a new thread, but here's the point:

Why the love for Stephen Curry? If the Rockets want a point guard, they want a guy who can penetrate and move the ball around. Shooting is a plus, but definitely should not be the primary interest.

If anyone would like a guy like Curry, who's assets include shooting three pointers, why not just acquire Jack McClinton later in the draft (who will end up being the best shooter by percentage in this draft). McClinton is a better shooter than Curry (look it up).

Unless Houston is unable to move up and get a top PG with all around skills, they should fill the need of a backup center.

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

\Yikes, did not read that right. 2nd pick.

I take all of that back.

18. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

i like your thinking except i would rather have Johnny Flynn.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I have suspected we would do this for quite some time and I love the strategy. You can bet the bank that unless we get a shot at say, James Harden, that this won't be a big-for-small trade. Landry's athleticism will need to be replaced and if we're targeting who I think we are (Earl Clark) we will more than accomplish that goal.

I can tell you as a Big East guy that Clark's comparisons to Lamar Odom are spot-on. His size/athleticism/skill set are enough to make him a lottery pick alone. The problem is what he has, or doesn't have, between his two ears. Inefficient, takes plays off, turnover prone, work ethic issues, lacks a true position -- all that sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it? Clark is probably the biggest enigma of this upcoming draft. He has the tools and upside of an NBA All-Star and the stench of a disappointment. It's hard to gauge a player like that. All I do know is if he falls into the 10-15 range you would be crazy not to pick him.

If you need evidence that Morey covets a player like Clark just rewind back to Summer 2008. Morey obviously targeted Donte Greene for a reason. I think his selection went way beyond the BPA approach. He was the type of player Morey coveted, however the chance to steal Artest for nothing made Greene expendable. Enter: Earl Clark. Another 6'10" monster athlete with perimeter game only Clark is a better player with a higher ceiling.

I'm not saying losing Landry would be an easy sell. Landry is great at what he does but he's near maxed out, IMO. He's always going to be the inconsistent, high energy bench player that gives us a few teasers here & there but generally lacks what it takes to beat out Scola and/or become a quality starter in this league. Clark has All-Star potential. Depending upon the actual deal, this is absolutely worth the risk at face value.

20. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Shame on me for just glancing at all of the replies.