1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Draft Buzz : Rockets using Landry to try to acquire lotto pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Jun 22, 2009.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I suspected that something like this is going on. Frankly speaking,it's causing me a lot of concern. Carl is a valuable role player. Our 6th man. He can also improve and has gained quite a bit of experience. He is a hard worker,who needs to get better on defense,face up shooting and the occasional post up move.I didn't see much growth this year,but I expect more from him in the upcoming season.

Earl Clark can cause mismatches and is intriguing,but he is a real up and down kind of a guy.Austin Daye is even more raw than Clark,maybe BJ Mullens is the target here. I would rather retain Landry instead. I hope DM is not targeting a PG like Ty Lawson in exchange for Carl. That's going to make me mad.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

His potential is no longer "tremendous"...he's got yet to develop a legit post move, other than a hook he can't always get off, in 2 years. When he first got here and started to blow up we expected him to reach the level of a millsap, but even millsap put up big numbers when he was a back up and just happened to get a lot of minutes. Landry isn't. He's still has value, i agree, he still is a very good back up and more than worth a second round pick, but i don't see him developing much more...his shot is decent, but it still a set shot which he shoots at a high percentage when open, not so much when guarded..his shot mechanics don't exactly scream 3 point shooter and even if he gets it to a decent % his inability to handle the ball that far from the rim won't give him many looks from deep..

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

If Morey is REALLY trading Landry, there's something about Dorsey..

4. opticon

opticon Member

Dont be shocked if Landry Privately wants out of Houston. If you got shot for no reason and you a millionaire would really want to stay in the same city if you had a choice in the matter.

i dont forget he could be starting for alot of other teams.

I love having Landry around as a rocket but If I was in his shoes I would want to be on a team where I could maximize my talent.

5. MONON

MONON Member

Being from the midwest(which is "Tornado Alley" & on Thursday night, becomes "Lotto Alley"), he might be ok with a trade to: Milwaukee(10), Indy(13), Bulls(16,26), Detroit(15) & TWolves(6,18,28). That's a lot to choose from.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I am a huge Landry fan and am unsure of this, but IN MOREY I TRUST

7. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Thanks DD...

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think scola for a PG may hurt us too much, especially for Rubio because he doesn't score and Scola's probably our second best scorer, so although rubio is a play make i think we still come out losing more offense than what we get and makes our PF spot go from strong to close to anemic offensively with Landry not always being able to create offense and chuck not having any..

9. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

We're getting BJ Mullens, book it.

7 foot center...

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

We better move up before the 15th pick. Detroit(15) and Chicago(17) are courting him and Chicago is said to be wanting to move up to the 11th spot I think it is and trade with NJ.

11. worzel gummidge

There hasn't been any news of those guys being caught either. I wouldn't blame him if he felt that way. It's a situation that would have most people looking over their shoulder 24/7. One way those guys avoid jail is to pop Landry before they're caught and can be identified.

12. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

Maybe the Rockets can try to get the 6th pick or the 18th pick: http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/06/supermans_kryptonite_and_the_r.html

So the Rockets talked to the Memphis Grizzlies about the second pick.

Big news, huh?

Not exactly. Actually, not even close.

Of course they spoke to the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies have the two qualifications the Rockets are looking for in a trade partner.

They have a first-round pick.

They are in the NBA.

That's what these guys do. They talk and talk and talk to one another, and few talk as often as Rockets general manager Daryl Morey and Memphis' Chris Wallace.

There is no reason to think they are any closer to a deal with Memphis than with anyone else, and that was not the report; only that the Rockets have inquired.

Also, the sun rose in the East.

Of course Morey inquired. Imagine if he didn't and the Grizzlies traded the pick. When the owner asks if his GM could have made the same sort of deal, it's best not to have to say, "I don't know; I never checked."

One would think the Grizzlies could do better around the league for the second pick than anyone the Rockets are likely to offer. The Grizzlies also have the 27th pick and if someone the Rockets like more than most is around at that point, that would seem a more likely move.

The Timberwolves seem a more likely trade partner, anyway. Minnesota has five picks, including three in the first round. It's too soon to know what new GM David Kahn has in mind, but five rookies would be way too many to add to such a young team.

It is also too soon to know what the Rockets want most. They are high on players, relative to where they will go in the draft, who will be taken throughout the first round. But for, all the mock drafts that are out there, they don't believe the draft order is anywhere near set or clear enough to know what sort of pick they will have to get to get one of the players they might target.

Trading up is usually tougher than it sounds. The Rockets tried the past three seasons and for all the moves they have made, they did not get in position to take the guys they were chasing. It is sort of like those expiring contracts. Everyone talks about how coveted they are, but the vast majority expire with the team that said how much everyone wants those oh-so-valuable contracts.

It is clear, however, that the Rockets are chasing a draft pick. They have been exceedingly open and optimistic about that, both with the public and in interviews with players. They don't get to work out the top prospects. Those guys don't do private workouts with the teams that don't have a pick. But they did attend the Timberwolves' workouts, getting an up-close look at players that would not mind going as high in the draft as the Timberwolves would pick.

13. min

min Member

i love landry

but an undersized PF is not something we need to win a championship

14. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Mullens has no offensive moves, and can't rebound if his life depended on it.
    I'll pass.

15. worzel gummidge

16. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

yeah I know, I was just speculating that the Rockets could trade Landry to the Timberwolves for one of their first round picks.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Timberwolves I think have enough forwards on their roster as is but if they're willing, go for it.

18. jlwee

jlwee Member

Unless Morey drafts a C/PF (cause everywhere i read Morey is targeting a PG) else it will leave the Rockets frontcourt(Yao, Scola and Hayes) extremely thin and unathletic.

19. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Personally, Carl was my favorite Rocket player last year. But I'd still be willing to part with him to get a quality player in the lottery. Remember that Landry was a previous 2nd round pick. And the Rockets were able to develop him into a solid 6th man, and would be a starter on other NBA teams. I would like to see the Rockets develop a player taken in the lottery.

One thing the Rockets organization does well is maximize young talent. They turned Aaron Brooks (late first round pick) into a 34 pt. playoff performer, and like Landry, turned Von Wafer (2nd round pick) into a solid bench player. Consider others like Chuck Hayes, Mike Harris (both undrafted), or even Luther Head (late first round). I think if the Rockets were able to get a top 10 player in the draft, they would know how to turn this player into more than a role player. By the way things look now, Landry has already pretty much reached his potential. If we can trade him away for better talent, we should do it. Also, with Scola, Hayes, and a developing Dorsey, Landry is somewhat expendable. Also, if Landry leaves, the Rockets have a void in the roster to sign or trade for a +6'10" power forward.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

we are most likely gunning for a PG if we are asking for a lottery pick.

i would love a guy like Ty Lawson. he basically has the quickness of brooks but with lowry's IQ. i would give up Landry for a chance to get him. that means we can make brooks or lowry expendable