1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Devil Rays outfielder Alex Sanchez Suspended for steroids

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Tyree, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Tyree

Tyree Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2029037

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays outfielder Alex Sanchez was suspended 10 days for violating baseball's new drug policy, the first player publicly identified under the major leagues' tougher rules.

The suspension begins Monday when Tampa Bay opens its season against Toronto, the commissioner's office said Sunday.

Under the new policy that took effect last month, steroids and other performance-enchancing substances are the only drugs to draw a 10-day suspension. Baseball officials and the players' union agreed they would not disclose the exact substance for which a player tests positive.

Sanchez said he was surprised by the suspension, adding that he uses milkshakes and multivitamins to build his energy -- and blaming the positive test on something he bought over the counter.

"I'm going to fight it, because I've never taken steroids or anything like that," said Sanchez, who was released by Detroit in mid-March and signed by the Devil Rays.

Sanchez, 28, who hit .322 with 19 stolen bases in 79 games for the Tigers last season, said he was drug tested while he was with Detroit. He was to be the Devil Rays' center fielder on opening day.

Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said the team would have no comment on the suspension.

"It's suprising," manager Lou Piniella said. "That's all I have to say on that."

It already had been an emotional month for Sanchez. The center fielder was reunited with his mother for the first time in 11 years in mid-March. Five days later, he was released by the Tigers.

Sanchez left Cuba on a raft 11 years ago, leaving his family behind. On March 10, Sanchez reunited with his mother and brother in Miami, where he has a house with his wife and twin boys. Sanchez's mother and brother escaped from Cuba by boat and spent time in Mexico and Texas before traveling by bus to Miami.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. Jebus

Jebus Member

hello, trivia immortality..

3. Uprising

Uprising Member

It Starts.

4. Tyree

Tyree Member

i agree its safe to assume this is only beginning...

5. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Famous last words.

6. across110thstreet

he is MLB's scapegoat.

how many people read this article and said to themselves ...."WHO?"

I know I did...

7. DrewP

DrewP Member

Its important to note that he's more of a speedster than a power hitter..

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Very suspicious. Especially if he tested last season. I'm sure he's on the juice, but mlb reveals it on opening day, it just smells like a publicity stunt. I don't like it. But I'm glad he got caught. I just wonder if baseball was going to keep it under wraps until congress started sniffing around. It sounds like this positive was months ago.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

They just said during the Yankees-Red Sox game that the official release says "controlled substance" and does not mention steroids.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i dont get this....

sanchez is a skinny player who has hit 4 homeruns in the past 3 years and all of 3 doubles and no homeruns this spring. i don't know all of the performance enhancing drugs that are banned by baseball now, but steroids does not make sense here.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

You do know that sprinters use steroids to get faster right? Sanchez was a speedster, maybe taking steroids gave him that extra step to beat out an infield hit or steal more bases. I think the biggest misconception of people who use steroids is that they're big and strong. Remember that John McEnroe has admitted steroid use and that guy was skinny when he played.

12. Christopher

Christopher Member

10 days.....its a joke.

If they find someone using steroids on the FIRST occasion they should be banned for 2 years.

10 days in a season as long as the MLB's.....its beyond a joke.

13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I agree, gotta be more strict than that.

14. francis 4 prez

that's all corking a bat gets you. i think pitchers who have been caught doctoring balls have only gotten around 10 days. why should steroids knock you out for 2 years?

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

It's only cheating if you get caught or if you admit it.

16. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

nowhere in the article or elsewhere has Sanchez been accused of using steroids.

It could have very well been an over the counter suppliment. It happens in the NFL all the time.

17. A-Train

A-Train Member

[​IMG]

Beefcake....BEEFCAKE!!!

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Because it's a contolled substance. That's why. Corking a bat isn't against the law. But people using steroids in your lockeroom leaves you accountable for an unlawful activity. .

19. meh

meh Member

You know what annoyed me when I read the article? Sportswriters for the past months have been pounding away with the "you can tell he's must be using something by looking at him" argument. Yet the first person caught, assuming it's not a false positive, is someone you obviously can't tell from just looking at him.

It's now looking more and more like the sportswriters are on a witch hunt. When you speculate without hard evidence, you can easily hurt players through public perception. Which is incredibly unfair for players.

20. drapg

drapg Member

It ain't just sports writers.

It's sports fans and the public as a whole that is on a "witch hunt."