1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn] Dennis Rodman back to North Korea

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Dec 13, 2013.

1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I don't know if I agree with Rodman's premise but I understand where he's coming from.

Really the interview shouldn't have been about Kenneth Bae or Kim Jong Un's uncle. Cuomo was trolling big time. Reaction baiting at its finest.

2. Yellow

Yellow Member

Don't want to get all political here but who do we in the West and the American people think they are to condemn other governments' actions when we're up to no good ourselves?

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think he got overemotional in my opinion.

The CNN host made hostile suggestions and accusations that are meant to antagonize the North Koreans, when Rodman and the players were surrounded by North Koreans in North Korea.

If Rodman speaks in support of Bae, he will get in trouble with the North Koreans, if he speaks against Bae he will get in trouble with the Americans.

Really really poor behavior on the hosts' behalf, and absolutely no tact whatsoever. He had zero regards for the safety of the players in that situation.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm usually on this side of these debates and usually advocating for more international communication and cooperation despite our misgivings about the domestic policies of sovereign nations. I also used to argue with people who said we can't count on Kim Jung Il to act in a rational manner when it comes to international politics. But I can take it this far. This is quite possibly the worst regime in the world. And, in the last year Un has threatened war on the US and South Korea, made baldfaced attacks on South Korean people, and just conducted a Stalinist-style purge in its own leadership. Coaxing them to reform or to restrain themselves is really insufficient. The leadership of this country needs to be washed away. I'm fine with someone like Pakistan handling its own affairs, even if I don't like how they do it, but North Korean leadership is just plain criminal. Basketball diplomacy isn't helping here. All it does is stroke the ego of Kim Jong Un.

5. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

The whole dog thing was most likely a joke/rumor. His uncle killed, but probably by a firing squad. Still an inexcusable action nonetheless.

And yeah, CNN didn't do a very good job considering the context of the questions. But I don't think Rodman made a smart decision in dedicating the game to Kim Jong Un. If he really wanted to make it a trip in good will, it should have been in the form of basketball camps for kids or something for the people.

Of course, you have to consider whether or not the N.Korean government would even allow him to do that in the first place.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Stay there!

7. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

This is NK we're talking about so anything is possible what they do to their people behind the secret curtain.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep... haha

9. Major

Major Member

It has nothing to do with being in North Korea. After his last visit, he said the same nonsense when he got back. He thinks Kim Jong Un is a great guy and doesn't want to hurt anyone, blah blah blah.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

I still don't see what this is for... If Rodman's team wins how are the North Koreans going to see this? They openly hate America so how can they just simply laugh it off once Rodman's team wins.... I'm assuming Rodman's team is going to win because they are all ex professionals going up against well nothing. Or is Rodman going to give strict orders that no matter what North Korea must win this game or else they could be in greater danger. I just don't see how this is going to play out. This game is for Kim Jong Un's birthday he is going to want his team to win.... It be a lot different if Rodman was taking to two teams of ex professionals to face each other but this is against North Korea.... Crazy if they win and just leave...

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Kim the 3rd grew up idolizing Rodman and the Bulls when he was in Switzerland.
    Rodman being there better than not being there. So more power to him.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

worm has done well to stand up to the lords of fiat and resist their tentacles of mass disinformation...long live glorious kim dynasty!

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wait! Doug Christie is on the team?

I hope his crazy wife isn't there. She might slap Kim's wife for talking to her husband. Talk about an international incident waiting to happen.

15. dznutz

dznutz Member

wouldn't it be amazing if rodman was actually a cia operative infected with HIV/AIDS. His mission is to "plant the seeds"

16. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

what the hell are you on?

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Or maybe he grew up being a Bullls fan or something, and just wants to see ex stars play basketball on his birthday.

People are making a huge deal out of this for no reason, I see this as a fan wanting to see basketball.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Think David Stern said it best on his CNN interview...The former NBA players were just blinded by the money...Former hasbeen's that are totally broke, who just went with Rodman for a payday finally realize the implications of their actions and now are tied to the Rodman outburst. Rodman is a total nutcase that is being used as a puppet by North Korea. If he can make an accusation on tv of Ken Bae's actions that caused him to be imprisoned, he should say it. The truth though is that Rodman has no clue of Bae's actions; and he has managed to piss off the family of Bae. Rodman, you idiot...just stay their in North Korea, and dont come back.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Guy's a bumpkin with no communication skills. The hair color and piercings were to originally get attention and probably overcompensate for his small town upbringing or some latent homophobia, but there was never any insight or authenticity behind it. Anytime someone intelligent challenges his behavior, it devolves into inarticulate, emotional ranting like this.

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah your right.... Why would anyone make a big deal out of one the most secretive and secluded countries in the world wanting to put their team against and American team for a friendly game of basketball. I mean, its not like the country is ran by a long line of evil and cruel dictators who have over the years embedded fear into the hearts of the people. Sure there are horrific actions towards men, women , children and they want to destroy America but that's normal haha.... All countries have concentration camps and use torture as a way to control people and strip them from their dignity and freedom..... Silly me to not think for a second Kim Jong Un was just a Bulls fan wanting to enjoy some basketball in person.... And on his birthday too awww.... Its not like its weird or anything that its North Korea vs USA in a match that they prob don't care about winning..... You know because its fun getting beat by the country you hate the most in your own house where access is extremely difficult to get and few have ever seen....

Just saying its weird and I fear for the players over there.... Its not normal.....