1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Dennis Green to be fired, Mack Brown possible successor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I bet he holds the record for most 9 win seasons in a row without a conference or national championshp.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

rocketman95 -- i didn't know you disliked mack so much!! i'm amazed how quickly longhorn fans (and i consider myself one) are ready to jump ship from coach to coach. here's a guy who's been there what...less than 5 years now (right??)...and he's got UT football back to real respectability. I mean, they finished as the 5th best team in the country this year. Only one team finished the season undefeated...only one team won the national championship. It is hard for me to imagine not giving the guy more time to work out the chance at a national title....particularly when you look at the carousel of coaches UT had before Mack.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've stated before why I dislike Mack...most of it has nothing to do with him. A lot of it has to do with my reaction to the idiot UT fans who were rooting for Texas Tech in 1997 hoping that a loss would ensure Mackovic's departure. I fully recognize that my opinion's based on this aren't really that fair to Mack.

However, I do believe there is reason for concern when the guy's been coaching for about 20 years and he still hasn't won a conference championship...much less a national one. I'm hoping and praying everyday that he proves me wrong, and if he does, my feelings for him will rival my Rudy T blessings. But until then, I will always remain skeptical.

4. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

As much I think Mac Brown sucks as a coach, I would welcome his top 10 recruting class's at NCSU along with his big game meltdowns.
    Sometimes fans get so close to tasting a championship, they wreck a "grade A situation", and turn it into "C minus".
    I never paid attention to Longhorn football, so it would hard for me to forcast what damage, if any would be dealt to the program if Texas chased a coach they felt could "coach with the best."

5. Major

Major Member

<B>I bet he holds the record for most 9 win seasons in a row without a conference or national championshp.</B>

Snyder doesn't have one, and he had more than 6 in a row, I believe.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have heard this scenario: Dennis Green gets fired from the Vikings, then after Tampa Bay doesn't do anything in then playoffs Tony Dungy will be fired and invited to coach Minnesota and will accept. Then with the opening left in Tampa Bay, Spurrier will take that job. Has anybody else heardn of this happening?